Natural Birth
Options

Dilemma

Long story short, we made a sudden move to Florida when I was 32 weeks pregnant and I had to find an OB basically over the internet. He was recommended by a birth center and has a reputation for being hands-off during labor and I really like him. Except, like most OBs these days, he's lawsuit-shy (not that I blame him) and prefers not to have his patients go past their due dates. We had a little back and forth and agreed that he would let me go one week late, but I have to start getting NSTs when I hit 40 weeks.

Here's my dilemma. I'm due November 1st based on both my ovulation chart (BBT-based, not just counting days) and my initial 8 week ultrasound. Somewhere along the line (I'm guessing when I transferred my medical records), someone typed in my due date as 11/11 instead of 11/1. He mentioned 11/11 as my due date today at my weekly appointment. I didn't correct him, but should I bring up the correct date at my appointment next week or just let him continue to think I'm due on the 11th? Are NSTs past 40 weeks a good idea and something that I should be getting anyway to check on the placenta? I'm leaning towards coming clean, but it sure would be nice not to have to "fight" in order to go into labor naturally.

BabyFetus Ticker
It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers

Re: Dilemma

• Options

I'm all about being honest.

At the end of the day they can't force you to be induced.

I would come clean so that your OB can give you the best advice he can based on accurate info. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options

This is a tough one.

I'd say trust your instincts.  Do you have any reason to believe you'll go beyond 40 or 41 weeks?  

ACOG's FAQ specifically mentions what happens if you go past 42 weeks.  (https://www.acog.org/publications/faq/faq069.cfm)  Ask your OB if he's checked the ACOG standards lately.  Sometimes OB's have a hard time staying on top of everything because the standards change all the time.

In my experience, any issues that would complicate allowing you to go into labor spontaneously would be caught at your weekly check up.  If you're concerned about it, but still want the option of going to 42 weeks - perhaps suggesting a NST at "39" weeks will establish a base line that will make you more comfortable?  Its certainly a possible way of establishing how well the placenta is aging - though to be honest, not all OB's are great at determining that.

Ultimately you're the one who has to make the decision that's most comfortable for you.  Follow your instincts and do what feels right.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I would be honest and tell your dr and express you wanted to wait as long as possible to avoid induction.  I was ok w/42 weeks, OB didn't want to go passed 41 and that was the ONLY thing we compromised.  He was amazing and respected EVERY thing on my natural birth plan.

Where in Florida are you?

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • Options

We're living in Naples, but I will be giving birth at Cape Coral. The Naples hospitals all have close to 50% C/S rates and the typical list of rules like mandatory IV and constant monitoring. Cape Coral has jacuzzis, birthing balls, telemetric monitoring, and no mandatory IV.

I don't have any particular signs that I'll be going past my due date, just the fact that I'm a FTM. I've had a ridiculously easy/healthy pregnancy so far (knock on wood). I know I can always refuse induction, I just don't want to set myself up for a belligerent relationship with my OB since he seems so easy going for the most part and at the end of the day, I want him on my side instead of seeing me as a pain in his a$$.

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

I went into labor naturally and delivered at 43 weeks 1 day.  I started having NSTs every few days at 41 weeks and between 41 and 43 weeks I also had one u/s to check amniotic fluid (which was low, but I was able to increase it through increased hydration and rest) and 2 BPPs (bio-physical profiles - a more advanced u/s).  Baby scored perfect on all of them until the very last day when his NST was longer than usual but his BPP that afternoon was still perfect, then I went into labor so it didn't matter after that.

So, if *I* was in your situation, I would be honest about the due date, agree to the NSTs and calmly but confidently, with no belligerence, explain that I am not willing to induce based on date alone and will not even consider induction unless a problem is indicated by the NSTs (or other monitoring used).  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageKateLouise:

Yes, but they can try to scare you, threaten you and coerce you into being induced.  Especially if they are making decision based on the fear of being sued.  To them- pushing for inductions and c-sections show that they did everything they could for you legally, so they are off the hook.  It is both immoral and against their oath of "do no harm," but many OBs do it every day.

I guess I am the odd man out, but I wouldn't say anything.  It is perfectly normal to not have testing until at least 41 weeks- which is where you would be.  Also, in the end all of these dates are just ESTIMATES and your baby will know the right time to come. 

FWIW,  my MW suggested I add a week to my EDD just to keep me from getting anxious about specific dates.  ::shrugs::

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options
    imagepinksweetpea2:
    imageKateLouise:

Yes, but they can try to scare you, threaten you and coerce you into being induced.  Especially if they are making decision based on the fear of being sued.  To them- pushing for inductions and c-sections show that they did everything they could for you legally, so they are off the hook.  It is both immoral and against their oath of "do no harm," but many OBs do it every day.

Yeah living where I do I don't really understand what it's like to live in such a litigious country.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    imageKateLouise:
    imagepinksweetpea2:
    imageKateLouise:

Yeah living where I do I don't really understand what it's like to live in such a litigious country.

Ugh, lucky girl. I can't listen to the freaking radio without hearing one trashy law firm after another advertising about ways to get (them) rich.

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"