Parenting after 35
Options

I sometimes think I should've been born a man. Long vent

Yes I said it. Btw this will be jumbled because I'm on my iPad. In my marriage I'm pretty much the man of the house. Im the money maker. I'm the one that makes most of the decisions for us and for ds. My dh is the emotional one. He is ds primary caretaker since I work two jobs. I sometimes feel like I am the parent of both dh and ds. This is because dh had craptastic parents that allowed him at 7 yrs old to decide not to wear a hearing aid. So now he has speech and learning disabilities that affect his ability to get and keep a job. And it's not because he doesn't work hard or is lazy. It's because he's such a hard worker but doesn't comprehend what he's being told the first time and is to embarrassed to ask a second time. So he makes mistakes. We were finally able to afford hearing aids for him for both ears. So now he can hear ok but not the best and he can't wear them to sleep so he doesn't hear ds unless the monitor is full blast volume and right next to him. If you've read this far thank you. I'm sorry for the long vent. Because now ds needs speech therapy. He's not talking at almost 17 months. He babbles and makes sing song noises but no actual words. No mama no dada. I think I heard hi the other day. But not again. Thanks for reading.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I sometimes think I should've been born a man. Long vent

• Options

It is amazing what he will pick up when the speech therapy takes off.  Be patient and he will get it.

It is possible for your DH to get some therapy to help him become more assertive.  Because he can not hear, he might qualify for services through Vocational Rehabilitation.  They play for training and treatment so that people can get and keep employment. 

• Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this, I'm sure its very frustrating.  I think being the breadwinner is hard enough (I am in our family, as well) without adding other challenges to the mix.  I agree with vanverth, if he's willing, check into state/county programs in your area for DH, it might make a world of difference for him. Good luck, and hang in there.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm sorry. I know your H's hearing and subsequent issues have been a concern and I'm sure DS needing speech therapy is upsetting, but you're catching DS early. You're an awesome mom!

::hugs::

• Options

Aw.. I am so sorry you have so much on your plate. That is rough.

Glad you are being proactive with your DS. My DS started speech at 19 months. He had an over 50% delay. He is still in speech for articulation issues at age 5. The state paid for him to go to preschool for free too to get speech services. It was AWESOME! My son is very bright ( tested top 5%) and has a huge vocabulary. It just took him awhile to talk. I did sign language with him and that really seemed to help a bunch. Anyway.. hang in there! Your DS will be A-OK. I do wish you had less stress with your DH though. :(

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Left Hug

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    mwdmwd member
    It is amazing what therapy can, so I hope both your DH and DS will benefit from it, if you choose to take advantage of it.
  • Options

Many hugs!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"