Military Families
Options

? about 21 Gun Salute

Yesterday was the funeral for my grandpa's brother. When they did the salute there were only 3 guns shot 3 times. I didn't want to ask the other members of the family aside from my mom (who didn't know) just in case there was some drama involved. My Great-Uncle was 79 and was in the Air Force for 24 years and had been to Vietnam more than once. So my question is, why 9 shots and not 21? TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Formerly Je*lastname*. Started a new account because I couldn't get my SN changed to something less personal.

Re: ? about 21 Gun Salute

• Options
    Thank you for googling! That was actually a pretty interesting/informative article. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Formerly Je*lastname*. Started a new account because I couldn't get my SN changed to something less personal.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been to a couple military funerals, and it has always been 3 rifles with 3 shots. My understanding was that the president is the only person who gets a 21 gun salute. I could be wrong though.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

The number of people on the funeral honor squad depend on the unit. The honors for most older vets is done by the American Legion, VFW or such.  Those organizations typically have very few people volunteer. 

AD, Reserve and Guard units typically have 7 people for funeral honors but I have seen less.  It's called a volley, not a 21 gun salute.  The volley is done with riffles.  As far as the military goes, "guns" are M2 and larger.  Think cannons. 

Edit:  The PP is right.  The 21 gun salute is reserved for the POTUS or other very high ranking people. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I actually didn't know the answer to this and we're a military family.  I do have issues with the POTUS,etc getting more fires/shots than a veteran or KIA/POW.  I know they work hard but they aren't on the front lines or getting dirty.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Good Question!!  Thanks for posting that article PP very informative!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"