Military Families

Tricare Question

I've been searching for an answer to this question all night, but can't seem to find it anywhere...just wondering if anyone had an answer for me. My FI and I are getting married in two weeks. How long after we enroll in DEERS, does it take for me to be covered under the TRICARE Standard program? I was wondering if it was like other companies, where it doesn't kick in until the first of the following month. Trying to figure out if we are going to have to pay out of pocket for my first appointment, if I won't quite be covered yet. TIA.

Re: Tricare Question

• It should be as soon as your are enrolled in deers that is what it took for me, but you would have to wait to get your marriage liscense in the mail. Not sure where you live, but alot of hospitals have low income care for the uninsured and I was doing that for a while. First you have to apply for medicaid or tell them that you have pending health insurance and they will pospone billing. Also, My doctors did not even do the first visit until I was at least 10 weeks. Looking at your ticker looks like you have some time to go. Good Luck.  
  • I got enrolled in DEERS about 2 weeks after our wedding, and my Tricare Standard coverage was retroactive back to our wedding date.  And like PP said, I didn't have my first OB appt until I was 10 weeks along, so you should be fine. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Technically you are covered retroactively to your wedding date.  So lets say you get married, then have a doctor's appointment, then are enrolled in DEERS the next day, the doctor's appt. between the wedding and your enrollment will be covered. 

You are automatically enrolled in Standard. 

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Thank you, ladies! I appreciate the help!
  • The day you signup for deers and get your ID you are covered. The coverage date will actually begin the day you get married, but cant use it till you get an ID.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"