May 2011 Moms

Ian needs a helmet :(

Ok, I know it could be worse. A LOT worse. But I'm just so sad that everything we've thrown at this kid couldn't help him get rid of the flat spot. We've been doing PT stretches at home and with his therapist every other week. We've had his interventionist recommend a special physical therapist to perform craniosacral therapy on him to see if that would help. We've increased tummy time, limited carseat time (and retired the infant seats, eek!). Nothing has helped, he only had a 1-2mm change in his flat spot in 7 weeks (a change in the right direction, but not a big enough change).

So he gets his head measured on Friday, the helmet should be in a week later. It just really sucks because in order for him to get his helmet in a timely manner, we have to pay $750 for it. If we wait for the insurance to complete a predetermination, we'd pay less but it could take 3-4 weeks for the helmet to come in and we'd miss the window of opportunity where the helmet would be helpful. So hopefully we'll get the $750 refunded, maybe see the money in January. Ugh, I'm just so upset over this right now.

Guess it'll be easy to tell them apart for the next 6 months!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Ian needs a helmet :(

• I know it's stressful but just try to think of it as a temporary blip- there's an issue and you're fixing it.

Good luck with the helmet and kudos on being such a good proactive mom.

• ((hugs))  I feel your pain. Camille has an appointment with the craniofacial surgeon tomorrow, and I expect to get similar news. I will be around if you need to talk/vent, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • It will fix him up in no time momma! {{{hugs}}}
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • One of my best friends' son wore one for 3 months straight..  23 hours a day. It was no picnic - I won't lie. There were MAJOR sleep regressions - but that is expected, you know? She got majorly educated about it - got him the 'bling' doc band thing (I forget the exact name) and was just very outspoken and amazing throughout the time. Now, he's an 18 mt old toddler, throwing tantrums and toddling around.. I forget what he even looked like in the helmet! Like pp said - it's a blip in time. It'll fly by before you know it. You're a GOOD MAMA for being proactive about it! Some people think it's optional and don't do it - good for you for doing right by your baby! :)
  • imageatlb:
    ((hugs))  I feel your pain. Camille has an appointment with the craniofacial surgeon tomorrow, and I expect to get similar news. I will be around if you need to talk/vent, etc.

I'm sorry you're going through the same thing, but it's nice to know another May mama is going through it with me! Crossing my fingers that Camille doesn't need one!

Thanks for all of your supportive comments, ladies! I know I'm doing the best thing for him and it's only for a relatively short time. I know I could be dealing with a lot worse with both of them. I just wish he didn't one :(

• Aw poor lil guy! Can I ask you how bad is the flat spot? Because DS still has a flat spot and at the 4 mo appt his pedi said it was of no concern  that in time it would resolve. I try to be deligent about limiting laying down time but now that he is rolling tummy to back, he won't stay more than 2 secs on his tummy. Should I start to get concerned? Should I ask his pedi again just in case? TIA and sorry you guys are going through this.
  • We noticed Ian's flat spot at 3 months. We also noticed he wasn't turning his head to the right, but his pedi said he was fine and it was nothing to worry about. I didn't like the answer and went to another pedi who immediately referred me to Children's for it. If you're concerned, I wouldn't take no for an answer.

When I got Ian measured initially, there was a 15mm difference between sides. Usually, they recommend helmeting for any baby with a 12mm difference or more. Between 6mm and 12mm it's really the parent's choice. Ian also has torticollis (which is why he was having trouble moving his head to the right). He's been in physical therapy for 7 weeks now, going every other week (we've had 4 appointments so far) and he's making great progress.

When we went in for our follow-up appointment, Ian's flat spot was a little better (14mm), but definitely still bad enough to need a helmet. From what they said at Children's, they won't put a helmet on a baby under 6 months old because there's a good chance that with increased tummy time, decreased time in a carseat and physical therapy (for tort if it's there too) that the flat spot will go away. However, it might not be a bad idea to get a referral and get your DS's head checked. Most likely they'll watch it until he's 6 months old and if there's enough change, he might not need a helmet. Ian just didn't change enough :(

• His pedi checked his head movement and it was fine, but he didn't measure his head. I think I will get a second op. Thanks!
  • I'm sorry he needs the helmet. I'm sorry insurance sucks. Hopefully this is for a short period of time and it all works out with the insurance.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • flute, since this is a more common problem with multiples, have you talked to the multiples board? I know a lot of the ladies over there have had similar situations.

DH's best friend's little boy wore a helmet for a while. It was decorated to look like a UGA football helmet :) 

imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"