Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Natural Living recommendations for hormone issues? Help!

Hello! You have all been so helpful with all my other questions, so I figured I would reach out to you about this one...

My LO is almost 11 months, and I'm still struggling to regain some sense of hormonal balance. My PMS was pretty bad before LO, and I've noticed that it's gotten worse since I had her. In addition to that, I have NO sex drive (and I want one!) and I'm tired more often than I think I should be. I sleep 8 hours a night, mostly uninterrupted, eat well (Organic, no processed foods) take a multi-vitamin, fish oils, garlic pills and probiotics, excercise at least 3 days a week...don't smoke, drink one glass of wine once a week/every other week. I WILL not take HBC, so those are not an option. Someone recommended bioidentical creams/gells/pills, but from what I read, I am not comfortable with that either. I am considering seeing a local naturopathic doctor, but it's very expensive, so I want to try to exhaust all my other options first. I am trying to minimize my stress levels (hopefully that will help) so adding something to my daily routine is not really an option, unless I swap it out for something I'm already doing (so adding Yoga is not in the cards right now).

I am willing to research anything that is suggested to me, I just need to be realistic with my expectations, time and finances....can you suggest something that I may not be thinking of? My PCP just did some bloodwork to check my iron, vitamin D and thyroid levels. I should have that info in less than a week. Also, my MW didnt have any suggestions for me. Actually, she said "it will all go back to normal when you are done nursing". I didn't like that answer, considering I plan to nurse until...who knows! I don't want to be a moody, irritable sexless b*tch until then!! Mini-rant...sorry!

TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
image image

Re: Natural Living recommendations for hormone issues? Help!

• Options

Can I ask why you are not comfortable with a bioidentical progesterone cream?  They are made from yams and not made with synthetic hormones.  How is that different from using an herbal treatment?  I would recommend that first because I know from experience that it helps and works well.

You mention having your thyroid checked, some people experience symptoms even when their levels are clinically off.  I would try a kelp supplement (super cheap) to see if that helps.

Otherwise I would suggest motherwort tea as a starting place during your period.  It did wonders to regulate my cycle prior to pregnancy.  It was recommended to me by my DOM (who is on staff at Stanford University as well as in private practice).  I am unsure about it's safety when nursing though.

• Options
    SIL has been researching Nutrition Response Testing (https://www.drrobertjeffrey.com/Jan%2028%202005%20(D)/NRT.htm) for hormone regulation purposes.  She's started some sort of hormone testing recently that includes a test for B12 levels.  
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

sorry for the post and run! Thank you both for responding, that's more than enough suggestions to get me started. I just don't think I know enough about bioidentical creams yet..it's just what I had read until recently didn't "sell" me! I will keep researching!

THANK YOU!

image image
  • Options

I think some of the creams are not okay with nursing.  I'm assuming you're still nursing?

Since giving birth, I've also had no sex drive.  I could have written your email!

About a year ago, I went to my OB with the same issues and she wanted me to wean (grrr, no!), but agreed to test me for the same stuff you got tested for.  A D deficiency came back, and within a few weeks of taking it, I felt a lot better energy wise and mood wise (and immune system wise--I was getting sick a lot).

I've experimented with taking some herbs that work with nursing (galactagogues, in fact).  I took chasteberry for about 6 months and got my period back (it also helped with my hormonal acne), but it's called chasteberry for a reason.  So then I switched to shatavari and have been getting glimmers of drive back (usually around ovulation, when I absolutely DON'T want to have sex, lol).  I just ordered a second bottle.

I think now that when my daughter weans completely, I might get my mojo back.  And I'm willing to wait, though I'm so aware of the cost of this on my marriage that I've decided not to have another baby.  It's tough.  Let us know if your doctor's test show anything.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageaspade:

I think some of the creams are not okay with nursing.  I'm assuming you're still nursing?

Since giving birth, I've also had no sex drive.  I could have written your email!

About a year ago, I went to my OB with the same issues and she wanted me to wean (grrr, no!), but agreed to test me for the same stuff you got tested for.  A D deficiency came back, and within a few weeks of taking it, I felt a lot better energy wise and mood wise (and immune system wise--I was getting sick a lot).

I've experimented with taking some herbs that work with nursing (galactagogues, in fact).  I took chasteberry for about 6 months and got my period back (it also helped with my hormonal acne), but it's called chasteberry for a reason.  So then I switched to shatavari and have been getting glimmers of drive back (usually around ovulation, when I absolutely DON'T want to have sex, lol).  I just ordered a second bottle.

I think now that when my daughter weans completely, I might get my mojo back.  And I'm willing to wait, though I'm so aware of the cost of this on my marriage that I've decided not to have another baby.  It's tough.  Let us know if your doctor's test show anything.  

This seems to be the only time I have a sex drive as well, which leads me to further think it's hormone related. I've taken notes on all the herbs that have been recommended, started doing some research and plan on calling my LC to see which ones I can take now, and which ones have to wait. Glad to hear that the Chasteberry helped with hormonal acne- I will keep that in mind, since I suffer from that too.

Thanks for the info and I will post an update when I hear back from the DR!

image image
  • Options

Both chasteberry and shatavari are fine with nursing and in fact are supposed to help you make more milk.  I can't vouch for anything anyone else recommended.

(I'm a LLL leader.) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageaspade:

Both chasteberry and shatavari are fine with nursing and in fact are supposed to help you make more milk.  I can't vouch for anything anyone else recommended.

(I'm a LLL leader.) 

Great, thanks!

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"