Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

advice on child urinating out of anger?

DS turned 3 in September and is potty trained.  He hasn't had an accident in weeks, until a few days ago when I realized he was peeing on purpose after declaring he was "mad."

I cannot even believe I am posting this... 

My son pees when he's mad at me.  Today, he begged for a bath after lunch, but he had one last night so I continued to tell him no, eventually ignoring him.  He went to a corner in the kitchen and peed.  I ended up giving him a bath because he got it all over his legs... I hate that he got his way.

Later, he was really mean to our cat... pulling her fur and trying to squeeze and carry her.  I sat him in timeout (3 minutes, because he's 3) and within 60 seconds he peed on the chair.

I know this is all intentional because this is the 3rd day in a row he has pee in timeout.  Not to mention I took him to the restroom 20 minutes prior to this timeout.  I don't over use timeout either, it was his first timeout today.

Any advice?  What am I doing wrong?  He's acting like a cat that's mad at me! LOL 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: advice on child urinating out of anger?

• Options
    Oh, and after he peed in the chair... and I cleaned him up, he went straight back to timeout for 3 minutes.  He did not get off scott free! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Well for starters, I wouldn't have given him a bath since that's what he wanted.  I would have stripped down anything he was wearing that got pee on it, wiped him down with a baby wipe or two, and then made him help me clean it up off the floor, and take all the dirty clothes to the basket/washer.  If he wouldn't help clean, he'd go to timeout until I was done (and I can take a loooong time to clean in that situation). 

As far as peeing in timeout... put a plastic potty chair in his timeout spot.  DD tried this twice.  She'd get mad that she was in timeout, and she'd pee there purposely to try and get out.  Instead, I made her help clean it up, we wiped down and changed clothes, and then she went right back and her time started over.  Or, you could try making him sit there in the pee until his time is up, and THEN make him help clean it and change him.  After the second time she peed in timeout, I put a potty chair there, and told her that if she needed to pee she could go on that, but she was not coming out of timeout until her time was up.  It never happened again.

And the key, is to not show that you're mad about the intentional peeing.  Just a simple, "Oh it looks like you peed on the floor.  Time to help me clean it up, or you can sit in timeout until I'm done, which would you rather do?"  If he's just looking for a big reaction, don't give him one.

Granted, what works for one kid may not work for another, but hopefully that gives you some ideas to try anyway.  Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    no advice, but I've been through it. Luckily SHE hasn't done it in a while. 
  • Options
    I took a potty training class and the warned about this sort of thing. The remedy they suggested was to let them take of their own soiled clothes and bring them to the laundry. Otherwise let them marinate in it for punishment. Sounds a little gross but she said it was effective since they are really just trying for your attention.
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"