May 2011 Moms

BLW and bananas?

I recently posted a video on FB of Madison sucking on a banana and my dad and step mom freaked out and called to tell me that it's dangerous to give babies banana because they could have serious allergic reactions and the seeds in the middle are bad for her and if I give her fruits before veggies she will only like the sweetness of fruits and won't eat healthy veggies or other good foods. From what I read this is old outdated info. Am I wrong?
imageimage

Re: BLW and bananas?

• LOL..  Maybe they would come over and de-seed the bananas for you?  Seriously --- bananas are a staple of first foods 

I did have a good (& reputable) friend tell me to try to do veggies before sweet fruits, but I have no experience or know if that is solid advice.  It can't hurt, I suppose.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Bananas are on the stage #1 foods list, I think they are pretty safe https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/bananababyfoodrecipes.html

We have been giving our little guy veggies before fruit, but he loves food, so I don't think he's going to be picky once we introduce fruits -- I think he will eat whatever we put near him :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We will probably be doing bananas as the second food. We will prob start with avocados, though.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagetheaustins05:
    I recently posted a video on FB of Madison sucking on a banana and my dad and step mom freaked out and called to tell me that it's dangerous to give babies banana because they could have serious allergic reactions and the seeds in the middle are bad for her and if I give her fruits before veggies she will only like the sweetness of fruits and won't eat healthy veggies or other good foods. From what I read this is old outdated info. Am I wrong?

I'm so glad you posted this, I've done it too! I wasn't going to tell but Elliott has been reaching for everything I eat and I just couldn't hold off any longer. He's had sweet potato as well, and avacado now and does fine with all of it. But I totally enjoy letting him nom on my banana, and he does too - it's also really helping his fine motor skills. 

Breastmilk is sweet (if you're BFing) so they're already used to sweet foods, IMO. I wouldn't worry too much about giving some fruit and then moving to veggies. Just give her a variety to chose from once you actually start and you should be fine (not that I'm an expert, just my opinion)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemellydawn84:

imagetheaustins05:

I'm so glad you posted this, I've done it too! I wasn't going to tell but Elliott has been reaching for everything I eat and I just couldn't hold off any longer. He's had sweet potato as well, and avacado now and does fine with all of it. But I totally enjoy letting him nom on my banana, and he does too - it's also really helping his fine motor skills. 

Breastmilk is sweet (if you're BFing) so they're already used to sweet foods, IMO. I wouldn't worry too much about giving some fruit and then moving to veggies. Just give her a variety to chose from once you actually start and you should be fine (not that I'm an expert, just my opinion)

I read somewhere (now I wish I could remember where) thaT it actually makes more sense to start with sweet foods because their taste buds are "designed" for sweetness, that way babies don't reject the food and can move on to veggies without a problem.

I let DS suck on an apple once he looked like he was in heaven, he cried when I took it out of his hands!

• This is an old way of thinking.  Now, most doctors believe that it doesn't matter if you start with sweet or not.  I personally started with avocados and then sweet potatoes.  Currently we are on peas and next (today) either peaches or mangos.  I find texture is the bigger deal than the sweetness levels.

And, like PP said, maybe they can come and deseed them for you HAHAHA!

• I started with carrots, they're pretty sweet.  She's loved everything but peas.  Just won't do peas.  Took a couple of tries to get her to like pears but I think she's enjoying them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My baby doesn't like bananas.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Bananas were the second food we tried (applesauce was first). Ian likes pretty much everything, although his least favorite is peaches. Jack is the same way, but his least favorite is green beans. Everything else goes down just fine. I guess we did it all wrong, we started sweet and ended with the least yummy veggies.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagemeimsx:
    My baby doesn't like bananas.

I can't quite say that for sure, but after 4 tries, neither does Cece. It takes a lot of kids 10-15 tries before you can definitively determine whether they like it or not. I'm going to keep trying!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"