Babies: 0 - 3 Months

My experience switching from Similac Sensitive to Enfamil Gentle

I thought this might help someone.

We started DD on regular Similac but it caused her to scream all night long and have really painful gas. So we switched to the sensitive and it was like she just could not eat enough of it. She would down 4 ounce bottles at 2 weeks old and still act hungry. She never spit up. When we laid her down for the night, you could hear her moving all around farting really loud- like for 4 hours. Then wake up and eat and do the same thing the rest of the night.

So I switched her to emfamil gentle (DD#1 was on this with great success). The first day I already noticed decreased gas. We started a week ago and she has been sleeping 8+ hours a night ever since and she sleeps peacefully-no gas. She has really cut back the amount she eats- 3.5 ounce bottles instead of the 5 ounces we were up to.

I think a lot has to do with the bubbles. Similac had a ton of foam and emfamil does not.  

Anyway, thought maybe my story might be useful to someone wondering if they should switch. 

MY BLOG image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: My experience switching from Similac Sensitive to Enfamil Gentle

• Funny, we had the exact opposite experience. 

However, we use generic Similac Sensitive.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemrsmikey:

Funny, we had the exact opposite experience. 

However, we use generic Similac Sensitive.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

So weird. I know all babies are different and I know a lot of moms who use Similac with no issue. I thought this might help someone whose baby does not agree with Similac. 

• Loading the player...
  • We started on Similac Advance, switched to Similac Sensitive and are now on Similac Isomil (soy). Nothing has seems to help DD. She has so much gas...she's less fussy now that she's on soy, but she's still having gas (really loud, smelly gas I might add). Maybe switching brands is the solution...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD doesn't like the Similac so much, and we tried Enfamil gentlease and she wouldn't take it. Enfamil newborn is her best, sleeps 5+ hours a night with it, it was 2 with Similac. We just use gas drops when needed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Isn't it funny how the brand makes a difference? They're technically supposed to be the same-ish, but DS did better on Gentlease than Similac Sensitive. 
    Jake on swing AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
  • This may be a stupid question, but when you switch formulas do you need to do it gradually or just go for it.  I don't want to upset her stomach.
  • Jlhook0- Have you tried Similac Alimentum? My LO had tummy issues with Similac Sensitive, so I called my Dr. about switching to soy.  She said to try Alimentum before going to Soy.  I'm on day #2 of using Alimentum and I think it's helping. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am having the exact same issues with DD. We started  out on Similac Advance. Switched to Sensitive and have had nothing but gas! I feel so bad she will wake herself up in the middle of the night with gas pains and have the worst smelling loudest farts. Gas drops don't even seem to phase her. She has also been eating 6 ounces at a time on the sensitive and she is only 4 wks. I can't wait to try something different. I just thought she was gassy and there was nothing we could do about it.
  • My LO is drinking Similac Sensitive and does exactly what you are describing. You mentioned more bubbles and foam and I was curious, how were you mixing it? Ours was really foamy when we shook it according to the directions so now I stir it with a knife which is a pain but there is way less foam and bubbles (hardly any). Yet he's still very gassy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC 1 yr, BFP m/c 6weeks IUI #1-8 BFN IVF #1-2 - BFN Laproscopic - clear IVF #3 - BFP!!!!! 12/23 Beta #1-122, 12/29 Beta #2 - 1230, 1/4 Beta #3 8000+
  • imageCaseyk1127:
    My LO is drinking Similac Sensitive and does exactly what you are describing. You mentioned more bubbles and foam and I was curious, how were you mixing it? Ours was really foamy when we shook it according to the directions so now I stir it with a knife which is a pain but there is way less foam and bubbles (hardly any). Yet he's still very gassy.

Yep, I stirred with a knife too. But even tipping it to feed caused foam. 

• imageaveeh:
    This may be a stupid question, but when you switch formulas do you need to do it gradually or just go for it.  I don't want to upset her stomach.

I'm also wondering this. I'm also wondering how long you keep LO on a specific formula before deciding it's not working out. We are currently trying out Similac Sensitive and it doesn't seem to be helping much. I'm not sure, though, how long to keep her on it before trying something different. Thanks!

• I'm so glad you posted this.  Harper is on Similac Sensitive and is very gassy.  She's grunting uncomfortably in her sleep as we speak.  But, she doesn't have any problem with reflux or spitting up.  A couple weeks ago I decided to try the Enfamil Gentlease because our pedi gave us both and said they were pretty much the same (which I've found out that they're really not).  I tried it and noticed she was less gassy, but she was eating much less so I figured maybe she didn't like it or something, so I switched back. 

I, too noticed that the Similac is very foamy, and Enfamil has no foam at all.  I'm sure that is causing more gas.  I think I'll try the Enfamil again after reading this.  Thanks!!

• Is the Generic as foamy?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"