XP from the nest: Appt with recruiter — The Bump
Military Families

XP from the nest: Appt with recruiter

So sorry for posting without lurking first, but I was hoping maybe some of you might have some insight.

DH and I have an appt to talk to an AF Reserve recruiter on Friday. Can you please advise of which questions we should ask? I am doing some research myself, but I don't want to miss anything. Thank you very much!.

Anniversary

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

TTC/BFP/FF details in bio

Re: XP from the nest: Appt with recruiter

• When I went to talk to my recruiter I was clueless and extremely unhappy with where my life was at that point, so my recruiter pounced on that. So I'm glad you two are doing research!

What I wish I would have known, was that with my degree I SHOULD have been referred to recruiter who does Officers. However, my recruiter glossed over this and convinced me I would be miserable as an officer. Since I was already miserable, I was a sucker.

Also, I'm Active Duty, so I don't know how it works with the reserves, but they'll try to convince you to sign on for a 6 year tour. It was a $2000 bonus when I joined, which I needed so I took,  and you left basic as an A1C. Again, had I been smarter, I would have realized that my schooling would have given me 2 stripes anyways. So I was pretty dumb.

And I don't know his career options, but (and this is just my opinion, others may disagree) don't do Security Forces (or go in as Open General, you'll most likely get Security Forces). If you get shown a video where they do all sorts of high speed intense things, it's a joke. Some bases do have some awesome law enforcement opportunites, but mostly you are just a glorified security guard. And the schedule is awful.

Sorry if those don't help, re-reading I think I sound pretty bitter! They aren't really questions, more of a what to look out for. Good luck to you and your husband!

• Thank you very much. I do plan on taking anything the recruiter says with a grain of salt, and also fact checking with my sister who is new in the Guard and my BFF;s brother, who has been AD for about 15 years. I appreciate the heads up on SF, as tis was something I thought might be an option.

Thanks again for responding, and for your well wishes. Have a great day!

Anniversary

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

TTC/BFP/FF details in bio

• Loading the player...
  • I would just say for your H to have an idea of what he wants to do in the military. Research that job and see if its what he really wants. Like PP said, it's better to go in with a secured job than just open. Idk what your H's ASVAB score was but there are a lot of exciting jobs the higher your score. Also I would say, don't assume because he is reserves or guard that he won't deploy. (I'm not saying you are but some people think that) all of our friends who came in with DH as reserve/guard deployed early on. Other friends who are AD who DH came in with still haven't deployed, and it's been over 4 years in. Just keep that in mind :) -- GL!
    Married November 2007
    DH became a double above knee amputee with traumatic brain injury (TBI) - July 2009
    TTC - August 2009 DX: Severe MFI & TF due to TBI
    DH SA 0 count, started clomid therapy - November 2010
    DH SA 0 count, increased clomid dosage - January 2011
    DH SA 75 million with 60% motility!! - May 2011
    IVF with ICSI ONLY OPTION - May 2011
    3dt of 2 Grade A 8&7 cell embryos May 19, 2011
    +HPT May 30 2011 -- Memorial Day!
    Beta #1 = 34 Beta #2 = 101.8 Beta #3 = 603!
    Expecting beautiful Eden Grace February 7, 2012!
    I don't believe that God ever tells us "no". he has three options. Yes, not right now, or I have something better in mind. We just have to wait & see. BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards