May 2011 Moms
Options

Tummy Sleeping

My DD just turned 5.5 months. She just started solids as well. Recently she has been only wanting to sleep on her tummy, when she does she sleeps great during her nap. I'm having a terrible time being OK with letting her sleep on her tummy at night time. I have the Angelcare monitor and still freak out and check on her all the time. Do you think sleeping on her tummy at this age is OK? When does the risk of SIDS start to decrease? She has rolled from her tummy to her back but not the other way around.

TIA

Re: Tummy Sleeping

• Options

The risk for SIDS peaks between 2 and 4 months and very few cases occur after 6 months from what I understand.  If you're going to let her sleep on her tummy, make sure to eliminate other risk factors (bumpers, blankets, smoke exposure, etc.).  We also leave a ceiling fan on in DD's room.  

DD has been sleeping on her tummy since 10 weeks.  I feel safer about it now that she is rolling both ways easily.  

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options

Reese rolls a lot--and sometimes end up sleeping on her stomach in the middle of the night. 

I really wish she wouldn't--at least not yet...even though she can roll both ways, it is harder for her to roll from her stomach to her back.  

My daughter is my hero.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My pedi told me at our four month check-up that stomach sleeping was fine when they could roll over on their own.  I asked if I should flip him to his back if he flipped over in the night and he said no.  I know there are other reasons why younger babies need to sleep on their tummies.  We have the AngelCare too, and so far LO hasn't flipped during the night.  I understand your concern.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

My LO has been sleeping on her tummy since like 6 1/2 weeks.. she started early because she refuses to sleep on her back.. but she was also a strong baby (she started crawling.. no joke.. at 3 1/2 months and is now standing).. now she rolls in her sleep so sometimes she ends up on her back but she always flips herself over.. my DR told me whatever she is most comfortable with.. if she sleeps better and more soundly on her tummy i would just try it out and see what happens.. Rheagan is sleeping through thte night now and i think it all has to do with tummy sleeping.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"