School-Aged Children

Need help with 6 almost 7year old Drama Queen

Lexi just started 2nd grade this year (turns 7 in a few weeks), and she has also turned into a major Princess. She is being mean / rude to her 3 year old brother. This past weekend threw a full on temper tantrum when she didnt get her way at a birthday party. Extra Whiney / Clingy.

Not sure what to do. We have tried talking to her, taking things / activities away, and it continues to happen,

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need help with 6 almost 7year old Drama Queen

• Do you think she's tired from school starting and the new routine?

My son just started first grade and he's been a little punk in the evenings.  Trying to work on earlier bedtimes...

• Is she tired?  I would shift up her bedtime 15 minutes earlier and see if that helps.

• Loading the player...
  • My sister teaches elementary school art, and she's had to remind me when both my kids got to this stage that it's pretty normal for kids to go through a rebellious stage when they're around 7.

The answer is to be firm and consistent with your expectations for behavior.  Ignore whining and attempts to manipulate.

My son started with this in about June, and it's actually getting a bit better now.  He just turned 7 in August. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I'm in the same boat! Geeze, it's ridiculous. Just keep up with the things you're doing. That's what I do. I send her to her room where she is not allowed to play in there or anything, just sit and think. I also have my 2nd grader write sentences! A lot! Stuff like: I will not be disrespectful. Or, I will control myself. Something simple and to the point.
    -Rebecca SAHM to 3 (soon to be 4) L- 6/28/04 E- 11/8/08 R- 8/19/10 EDD - 2/15/2012 Check out and follow my blog: http://www.everythinggoeswithpink.blogspot.com
  • The answer is to be firm and consistent with your expectations for behavior. Ignore whining and attempts to manipulate.

The thing that works best for us is this.  Basically a no tolerance policy.  We will not respond if treated disrespectfully and she won't get what she's after.  I won't even listen to my kids when they whine.

imagethelucc:
    I'm in the same boat! Geeze, it's ridiculous. Just keep up with the things you're doing. That's what I do. I send her to her room where she is not allowed to play in there or anything, just sit and think. I also have my 2nd grader write sentences! A lot! Stuff like: I will not be disrespectful. Or, I will control myself. Something simple and to the point.

The sentences are a great idea!  I'm definitely going to do this!

DD(7), DS(4.5), DS(2.5), DS(baby)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"