South Florida Babies

Weight gain during pregnancy

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I'm curious to know what others gained during pregnancy.

I saw my ob today and am up about 14lbs and am 19 weeks. He told me to cool it down on the weight gain and avoid all sweets. Today I went for a run and want to up the exercise to 5/week.

Please share any tips on how to maintain and not gain. Some days I'm starving, despite using the "small frequent meals" technique!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Weight gain during pregnancy

• Your OB is nuts. Even if you gained a pound a week which is normal to do from here on out, you'd be on target to gain less than 35lbs which is NORMAL!!! don't worry about it. enjoy your pregnancy and eat :-)
  • Sounds odd to me too!  However, if you want suggestions on how to not gain additional extra weight, just remember that it is a myth that you are eating for two.  But, this is my favorite season of food, and I enjoyed being pregnant from Sept - Dec in both my pregnancies!

Photo courtesy of www.yaporiginals.com
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    It's Beshert
  • Loading the player...
  •  I gained almost 40 lb with both babies. My Ob wanted me to gain MORE! That's because my babies were small and she was concerned at first. 

The amount you should gain during pregnancy depends. The recommendations are as follows with the guidance of your Ob of course. 

Underweight = gain 28 to 40 lb

Overweight = 11-20 lb

Average weight = 25-35 lb

Being pregnant, the amount of extra calories you should be eating is 250-300.  Gaining too much weight during a pregnancy can increase the risk of having a larger baby, hence possible labor complications and may end up with a C-section (this may not be a big deal to some, but surgery is surgery). Gaining too much also increases risk of obesity and complications of obesity such as diabetes and high blood pressure. On the other hand, gaining too little weight can increase risk of delivering a preterm baby. 

With that said, eating a healthy/balanced diet is always best and being conscientious about our food choices does matter. I wouldn't go crazy restricting all "bad" foods, but we do need to be aware that eating too much of those foods can lead to problems, especially in pregnancy. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• they "Say" 25-35 lbs...about 5 lbs 1st tri, 10 lbs 2nd tri and 10 lbs 3rd tri.

Now...if you start off heavier, they say you should not gain as much.  Some that start off with less weight gain more.

Most women really gain around 40 lbs average in my opinion.

I gained 67 w/my first and 42 w/my second.   I lost it all and then some.  I did not eat like a cow or anything but ate if I was hungry.  I also did not deprive myself of sweets...everything in moderation is my motto and healthy choices primarily.  

This time I have gained 4 lbs by 6 weeks...no weight gain from 6-10 weeks. Now 11 weeks.  I don't think I will gain as much this time, but who knows. 

My OB's never said anything about my weight.

I am 5'7.5" and fluctuate btwn 130-135 lbs normally.

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • I gained a total of 70lbs while pg, and doc NEVER told me anything!  I don't recommend so much weight gain (mostly water though) but I wouldn't "diet" and go crazy exercising either.
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for the insight everyone! At first I felt my weight gain was right on track, but realize it is rather excessive since the first trimester should have been next to nothing.

I started the pregnancy at 151lbs and am 5'6". It is an average weight for my height, but I'm mostly muscle (wear size 2/4 pre-pregnancy). I think my ob wants me to gain max of 25-30. I assume he sees plenty of gestational diabetes in his practice.

Yesterday I started watching the calories and went for a jog.  Still eating small frequent meals, but am sometimes still feeling hungry. Then again, last weekend I had 3 slices of pizza and was still starving. The weekdays are easy to stay on track, but the weekends will be challenging =(

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Everyone needs to keep in mind that what you can gain during pregnancy is all based on your pre-pregnancy weight. 

If you are already a "not skinny" person to begin with, you can't gaint he same amount of weight as soeone who is 5'7 and weighs 125lbs.

My RE told me that I should gain no more than 15lbs during pregnancy because of my pre-pregnancy weight.

that being said I only gained 2lbs during pregnancy and then lost 24lbs after J was born 

For more info look at https://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/healthy-weight-gain

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • I'm 33 weeks and have gained 20 lbs. I don't think you should go into an extreme diet, because loosing weight while pregnant isn't good. Just keep in mind if you gain too much weight you can be more prone to GD and end up having a heavy baby, which can potentially lead to a C-Section. As long as your eating the right things and not taking in too much sugar you should be fine.
  • Thanks you guys!

2lb weight gain and  a healthy baby shows you were definitely eating the right foods. 24lbs off after delivery is incredible! I can only hope I have the same experience!

33 weeks and 20lbs sounds just right. I was definitely overdoing it on the weekends with 18w and 11lbs. 

I've lost a pound already (not intentionally) just by eliminating all simple sugars and sticking to lean meats, chicken breast, fish (in allowable quantiities) and getting all of my carbs from fruits and vegetables. I started using low fat milk in my decaf coffee and having yogurt for calcium. Now I need to focus on maintaining this on the weekend!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I gained 21 pounds during my pregnancy
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am at 20 weeks and so far I have gained about 10 pounds, but I didn't gain anything the first trimester so I think that is why I am behind.

I wouldn't worry too much, sounds to me like you are on track.

• everything in moderation! Thats key, Gena is right, you definitly shouldnt eat for two all the time but if that excuse get you an extra scoop of ice cream, why not? LOL

I am not a skinny girl at all, I was average for my first and gained 42lbs, lost and gained got pregnant again, gained 20lbs for my second and gained maybe 15 for my third. My babies all weighted around the same weight.

Enjoy!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"