3rd Trimester
Options

Jury Duty (NYC)...

Hi Ladies,

I know it's a bit off topic... 

Has anyone gotten dismissed from jury duty because of pregnancy?

I got summoned for the end of this week.I will definitely show up, but I really would like to get dismissed, because my mom is arriving from Europe the same day (I have not seen her for 1 year) and she will only stay for a few days, so I can not possibly spend my days sitting on a jury...Obviously, I can not say that to the judges, so I'm hoping I can use my pregnancy an excuse.I'm only 29 weeks...

Anyone has any advice?  

I know, that chances are, I may not get picked at all, I'm just being a bit paranoid. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Jury Duty (NYC)...

• Options

You can postpone online:

https://www.nyjuror.gov/

I don't think they even ask for an excuse the first time.  Try it out & let us know what happens! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm usually not a fan of people getting out of jury duty.  You know, civic duty and all that.  And we need people with good judgment on juries, not just people who tried to get out of it and failed.

BUT - I do sympathize with you.  Perhaps ask your OB to write something about how sitting for long periods causes issues with your circulation while pregnant and they want you to get up and move every hour.....

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can postpone your jury duty in nyc if you haven't already.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Your OB can get you out of it. Technically you could be on bedrest, there's a million reasons why being pregnant could dismiss you from jury duty. I got called for duty the week I was due, and I was able to dismiss it (though it was my first time, so I got out without having to give an excuse).

I'm also curious to know if having kids and being a SAHM qualifies you to be dismissed! I know if I get recalled, it will be a challenge because I don't have alternate care for my children.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not in NY, but I had jury duty and did not get dismissed because of pregnancy.  Postpone if you can, but to be honest, it may just be easier to do it now.
  • Options
    imagel_elizabeth:

Your OB can get you out of it. Technically you could be on bedrest, there's a million reasons why being pregnant could dismiss you from jury duty. I got called for duty the week I was due, and I was able to dismiss it (though it was my first time, so I got out without having to give an excuse).

I'm also curious to know if having kids and being a SAHM qualifies you to be dismissed! I know if I get recalled, it will be a challenge because I don't have alternate care for my children.  

I don't know about Oregon, but in Illinois - if you are BF you can get out of jury duty for at least a year. I think it works if you are a SAHM for a child under a year of age as well.

• Options

Yes, this is my first time (I'm a naturalized citizen and actually very proud if it), so I'd like to serve, but not when my mom is coming.

I was afraid, that if I postpone, I get summoned again when LO is only a few months old.

But maybe I will try to postpone it, if it's not too late... 

• Options
    If you do end up having to go, they will most likely ask you if there is a reason why you can't sit for a few hours at a time. Tell them it is widely recommended that you get up and move around every 1 to 2 hours during pregnancy for circulation. How big do you look? I was already huge at 28 weeks so I don't think they would have picked me for fear of me going into labor, lol. I doubt you will get selected but I guess it depends on the trial.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hmm I think you have to ask for a postponement earlier but worth a shot.  Personally I had jury duty in the spring in NYC (just before finding out I was pregnant), I would show up, belly and all, you will probably just get dismissed, but be prepared.  I had to sit there for 3 days before getting dismissed.  It was uncomfortable not pregnant, I cannot imagine doing it now at 34 weeks. 
  • Options
    I'm in NM not NY, but I was dismissed for jury duty for this month. But here they do jury duty for a month, you have about a months notice to fill out paperwork, and I'm 35-39 weeks pregnant this month. I just had to send in a note from my doctor.
  • Options
    I am in NYC and I believe that I post-poned my jury service on the day of due to illness (it was a few years ago).  It was the first time, so no questions were asked.  I was rescheduled a few months later, so that would probably happen to you if you call in sick.  I think you can get dismissed by the judge if you have people dependent on you being at home, but you still have to be able to show up for at least a day to explain it to the judge (service is 3 days total).  Good luck!   
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • Options

I served on a jury 3 weeks ago, at 30 weeks.  There was another pregnant lady in the pool of potential jurors for the trial & she got out of it by having a problem with not having an adequate amount of breaks.  I felt she was whinning just to get out of serving & I couldn't, in good conscience, pull the pregnancy card.  But, yes, at least in CA, you can pull the card & get out of it.

• Options

I  just had jury duty and got called.  While I don't mind serving on a jury, honestly, they took one look at my belly and dismissed me and I was a bit relieved.

It was a good thing as I need to use the restroom every 5 minutes, I have to eat something every 2 hours and test my glucose levels 4x's a day.  I chose not to ask to be released because the rule where I live is that they will 100% call you within two years to serve.  I figure it was easier to go and try doing it now rather than doing it when baby is here.

Good Luck!  It is a difficult position to be in, I know.

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

• Options
    Yes I have twice. For some reason judges fear pregnant women.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • Options

UPDATE:just tried to postpone online, but it's too late, because my appointment is within 7 days.

I have a dr's appointment tomorrow, maybe she can give me a note...

I will also try to call them tomorrow.I can't believe I've waited until the last minute, but I just wanted to do the right thing...now I'm afraid I have to go back for a 2nd or 3rd day and I can't be with my mom who's crossing the ocean to see me. 

• Options
    I'm in CA, so I don't know if there is a difference between how our courts handle jury duty, but I was called in my second trimester. I was hungry all the time, peeing all the time, had various dr appts, etc. There is no logical way a pregnant woman can sit on a jury with all the interruptions to her normal routine. I had my dr write me a med excuse due to pregnancy and they postponed my service. I will get another summons sometime well after my maternity leave.
  • Options
    with the number of times i pee in a day (er, hour) i don't think there's any way i could serve on a jury. i'd be stunned they'd keep you if you mentioned something like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I got out of jury duty at 16 weeks. So yes you can get out just call and let them know and they will instruct you or better yet go down and talk to the clerk. I am in South FL I hope NYC is the same..Good Luck 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"