January 2012 Moms
Options

Are you buying the big items, or holding out 'til your showers?

We have purchased our furniture and some clothes, but not much else yet. We thought we would wait until our showers are done and then see what we still need. However, I'm getting worried because we have one shower tentatively scheduled for Dec. 10, and that's it, the other is still up in the air. I'm wondering if I should make any other purchases now, or just wait...I feel like time is going to sneak up on us and we won't be prepared! Silly, I know.
DD: 1/8/12
DS: 3/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Are you buying the big items, or holding out 'til your showers?

• Options
    We purchased our furniture and our travel system(only because it was on sale at BRU for $100 off).  We are waiting on about everything else til after the showers.  My showers are Nov. 5, Nov. 6, and Nov. 17.  My parents and MIL said that if we didn't get our big things for our showers then they would get some of them for us for Christmas.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am not having a shower since it's LO2.. but I would definitely wait. We didn't buy ANYTHING except for DDs crib before the shower and I'm glad because we were blessed with every single big ticket thing saving us tons of money :)
    evelyn 4.2010 | will 1.2012 | baby BOY due 12.2014
    pregnant and/or breastfeeding since 2009.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My mom has purchased all the big items and most everything already. We found some great deals on craigslist. I wanted to go ahead and get the big items because most people give gifts under $25 dollars at most baby showers I go to.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are in the same exact boat you are. We have our furniture and some clothes and our shower isn't until Dec. 3rd. We are going to wait until after the shower because if anyone asks us (family members) what we want for Christmas, we will just refer them to our registry! Otherwise we will use our completion coupon to get any stragglers left on there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I am the opposite.  I am buying most of the big items and saving smaller ones for the shower.  Knowing the financial situations of most of my family and friends I just don't think we will be getting many larger gifts (which obviously I am totally fine with since this is our kid).  We have made most of the big purchases and for those we haven't already made while we did put them on our registry we aren't really expecting them and honestly if we don't get them we will probably look for used versions of stuff to help our budget.

My little goofball born 1/2012
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DH does not want to put big ticket items on the registries, so we are buying those soon. His parents gave us a monetary gift to help us with the big ticket purchases. My showers are planned for mid-November, so we'll know what little holes we need to fill after that.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We've grabbed a few things that we've seen at yard sales and stuff for reeeally good prices. My mom hasnt been able to resist shopping for baby so we have some clothing too but mostly we're waiting until after the showers (oct 29 and nov 13) to really get serious about making sure we have everything. So far we have some diapers, about 10 onesies, a bunch of bibs, a changing table, a pack n play, a rocking chair, and two carseats. My aunt also gave us a crib but they lost the hardware so dunno if we'll even be able to put it together.
    AnniversaryImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We bought our pack n play and our carseat during the BRU gift card event because we got them on sale plus gift cards. We also purchased our furniture because it's expensive and our parents contributed towards that; it wasn't from either registry place anyway.  We registered for our stroller, moniter and a couple other bigger ticket items. It's hard not to get them when I see there's a good sale or something but I'm trying to hold out until after the shower to see what we get.
  • Options
    We bought all of our big stuff, minus the change table.  I think showers in my area are a little bit different because I have never, and I mean never, seen any big items at a shower.  So yes, we bought the travel system, crib, and basically everything else.  We bought next to no clothes because that and other little things (like books and toys) are the things that are given at showers here.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options

We are not having a shower for this LO but with ds we waited until after my showers to purchase big items.   The 2 reasons I would wait is 1) You may get gift cards and/or duplicate items you need to exchange and can put that towards purchasing something else, 2) Depending on where you are registered, I know Target and BRU will send you a registry completion coupon before your due date.    

Of course if you have friends/family that are in the position to purchase big items, you may luck out and get some of those at your shower.  We just got small stuff at our showers but in the end it worked out for us anyway.  Between gift cards, returns, and the completion coupon we didn't have to put out much money at all for the big items.   

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Options

imagecschissell:
    I am the opposite.  I am buying most of the big items and saving smaller ones for the shower.  Knowing the financial situations of most of my family and friends I just don't think we will be getting many larger gifts (which obviously I am totally fine with since this is our kid).  We have made most of the big purchases and for those we haven't already made while we did put them on our registry we aren't really expecting them and honestly if we don't get them we will probably look for used versions of stuff to help our budget.

This.  My SIL (my bro's wife) is throwing a before-baby shower for me and my MIL is doing an after-baby one.  My family is small, and none of us could ever afford to buy a big-ticket item as a shower gift for someone, and that's cool.  MH's family is of similar financial means, but they are a huge family and quite often several people will go in together one big item, so who knows?  Either way, I appreciate anything that comes our way, and most of the stuff on the registry is smaller stuff anyway.  We want the big stuff before baby so we will buy it ourselves.  We already bought a Peg stroller from a close friend for $75, so that was a big help.

IAmPregnant Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    My mom bought us our crib and dresser.  My SIL gave us a ton of clothes from her twins that are only 10 months old.  We also got a bouncy chair,swing and snap and go from her.  I plan on waiting till after my shower (Nov 6) to make big item purchases.  What ever we end up not getting we will just buy on our own-- I already took a sneak peek at our registry and a few big ticket items were already purchased!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We bought the furniture (crib, dresser). MIL is buying travel system, but we are holding off on everything else until after the shower.
    ~Nicole~
    imageDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We purchased all our big stuff. I didn't want either one of our families to feel pressured to get those things. I'd rather them be able to get the little stuff that I don't really want to have to shop for, lol.

BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP #1 5/07/11, DS 01/19/12
    BFP #2 08/09/12, M/C 08/10/12
    BFP #3 10/30/12, EDD 07/11/12...please stick!
  • Options
    We haven't really bought any of the big stuff yet. We just bought a house (and aren't even moved in yet) and are trying desperately to get it at least partially furnished before the baby comes. I'm having three showers, so I'm hoping that being young and poor will help us get some of the big stuff lol
  • Options
    My MIL is buying our crib & mattress.  We already have a dresser that we're going to use.  We were given a travel system, swing, bouncer & exersaucer.  We're not buying anything right now, but it's because we're going to replace our carpet & I don't want more stuff in the house that we have to move to get that done.  We're not having a shower, so we'll probably just start purchasing things after the carpet is in.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    We bought our stroller during the BRU trade in event & saved 25%.

• Options
    We are waiting until our showers are over. Several people have donated hand me downs already and I don't think we'll need much more. I am hoping to get the big ticket items at the showers. We have one this weekend which I think is too early but we have to do it at my MIL's house and that's when she wanted to have it. She is convinced it will rain if we wait any longer. The other one will be at my parent's house on December 10. I am so excited to meet my son!! =)
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. Guess we'll hold out a bit and see what happens...
    DD: 1/8/12
    DS: 3/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We bought all our furniture, but the rest is on the registry. I figured they would be good group gifts, but wasn't expecting anything. My sister already bought the stroller and carseat, which were 2/3 of our big ticket items. So I would say hold off until after your showers!
    DD 1.18.2012
  • Options
    We bought our crib and dresser. We're waiting to see what we get from the shower first, and then we'll make any last minute purchases of the stuff we need. My parents are also giving us money when the baby is born as their gift, so we're going to use that for some of the remaining items that we might need.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    We bought the crib and dresser and my parents got us the stroller.  A neighbor gave us her used car seat (18 months old and in great shape), so I'm holding out until after my shower(s) to buy what remains on my registry.  And although it'll be cutting it kind of close, I might wait until after Christmas to get any remaining big ticket items. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We have the crib, dresser, and some summer clothes for next year.  We are waiting to see what we get from the registry.  I plan on using it for my Christmas "wish list".
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    If you add it on a babies r us registry, you get a 10% off coupon for completing your registry about 3 weeks before your due date. We are waiting for the shower and Christmas to be over and then we'll take inventory on what's remaining, and order it from BRU online. We already ordered the furniture though, just so we have that done and don't have to worry about it later.
  • Options
    We bought our dresser/changing table combo and DH's Dad gave us the money for the crib so he technically bought that. We are waiting until after the shower for everything else to see what DH's mom and my parents get us. The only other big things I need are the travel system and a glider so hopefully that is what they get us! lol
    BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"