Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Need clarification re: bday invite

DS got his first invite in the mail from a preschool classmate. I assume it's for him alone (meaning I don't attend, too), but I'm not completely sure. It's at one of those bounce house places and the invite was the pre-made one that the place provides. So it just had the date, time, food that would be served, and an attached waiver that I'm to sign and he's to bring. So I assume I just drop him off? He's only 3, but I think the boy is turning 5 (I'm not even sure, honestly--he might be 4--the class is mixed), and he's only ever attended parties for his little friends/family friends where I (or we) was also in attendance. 

What is the general rule in preschool? We are planning our usual small, family/friends at home party for his upcoming 4th, so adults will still be welcome at ours. I'm not ready for a venue or kids-only party yet, but I don't know the standard.

I am just becoming friendly with the mom, so I'll probably end up just asking her and feign ignorance. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need clarification re: bday invite

• Options

In our pre-school it goes without saying the parents are welcome.  At this age I would never just drop of a child at a another kids house for a busy birthday party.  It will be grade school before I will allow that.

As per invites we always say on the invitation "whole families are welcome".  

With that said I realize I'm a little different.  In Latin culture it is just not as common to have kids only parties.  All mine growing had from age 0 to 99 attending.  My kids will have maybe sleepovers and a movie for a few friends but they will always have big parties where everyone is welcome.  It just is the culture I was raised with and I since I like it I'm passing it on. 

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Options

I have no idea what the norm is as my kid has yet to extend of have extended any bday invites but personally there is no way I would drop my kid off anywhere at this age, let alone an indoor bounce house environment.  I'm assuming this is a fairly large place with the potential for multiple parties/lots of people right?  In that case, who is watching all the kids?

Bear in mind I worked for a missing child organization and am highly paranoid regarding child safety though.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

All the bounce house parties I've been to with DD, the parents are all there as well.  The bounce house places usually charge per child and adults are usually free.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagecmh06:

All the bounce house parties I've been to with DD, the parents are all there as well.  The bounce house places usually charge per child and adults are usually free.

This. Parents stay at the party at this age.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks everyone! I will assume that I should stay, but I will probably just doublecheck with the mom. 
  • Options

At that age, parents are usually expected to attend and wrangle your kid.  Goes without saying.  So either you or your DH need to attend.  One of us always goes with DD to parties and that is the norm around here.

ETA:  Oh and you will definitely want to go.  Some of those bounce places and things are HUGE.  DD freaked out and I had to fish her off of the ladders up twice.  Be sure to wear socks as you'll have to take off your shoes and be sure to have DS wear long-sleeves.  I got the nastiest burn from having to go with DD down one of the slides.  Another mom told me that was common.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

Yes, it's pretty common for a parent to attend a birthday party with a preschooler. Even most the parents stayed in KG.  

At DD's age (6)- 1st grade, she has just started drop off parties (eta: the most recent one was at a bounce house).    

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would ask, but plan on stayin with a 3 year old at a bouncy place. Those places can be rough when there are a lot of parties and little parental supervision.
    Momma to 2 sweet girls here on earth and a precious baby boy in heaven
  • Options

expect to stay at all parties until your child is at least in Kindergarten - unless the invite actually SAYs something about dropping them off.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • Options

I have yet to do a drop-off party with my 6-year-old, although I might soon, depending on the circumstances...

Having been to a gazillion bounce place parties, I wouldn't leave my 3-year-old alone there.   I may not even leave my 6-year-old alone...

• Options

I would never drop my DD off at a party when that young.  Especially with people I don't really know and in that environment.

For sure you have to stay.  She isn't going to want to babysit your child.

• Options
    imageMrsSR:

I would never drop my DD off at a party when that young.  Especially with people I don't really know and in that environment.

For sure you have to stay.  She isn't going to want to babysit your child.

I think you are misunderstanding. Of course I want to stay and was planning to, but I got the feeling from the invite that I wasn't supposed to. So I'm just checking here to see what the norm is before I made a fool of myself in front of the mom. I'm really new to all of this preschool stuff.

• Options
    Drop off parties typically do not start until the kids are 5 at the very earliest, I think 6 is more the norm (Kindergarten).  Even at a place like a bounce house, I would never leave my 3 year old.  I had my DD's 5th b-day at one last June - most of the kids were 5 already (DD is one of the youngest in her class) adn about 75% of the parents dropped off.  I was a bit annoyed that 2 of the mom's that had younger kids that I had included since we know them/had done family play dates, left for part of the party.  The younger siblings were just 4 and both cried and had a hard time while the moms were gone.  Luckily a few of my friends had stayed and helped me watch the younger kids plus take anyone that had to go to the bathroom.  The staff (2 staff for 25 kids) are there to help with the party stuff and supervise in the bounce room, not take kids to the bathroom.  My DD (the now 5 year old) was invited to a variety of parties last year when she was 4, almost 5 and she wanted me to stay at all of them and I was never the only parent at the party to stay.  At the in home parties, I typically hung out with the other parents in the living room or kitchen - out of the way of the party but my DD knew I was there if needed and at the parties at other places, there was typically a spot for parents to hang out and not be in the way but be around if needed by your child.  I never expected food or anything for me.  My younger DD is 3 1/2 and she wants a bounce house party for her 4th birthday, she is in preschool and I expect all kids to have a 1 parent stay with them at this age.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"