Success after IF

Anyone have any tips for taking a toddler to Disney?

We are heading to Disney next month with A, who will be just about a week shy of 13 months. Any tips about actually traveling with her (it'll be the 1st time on a plane with her) or about being at Disney? Anyone know if there are any sites or places to get discount park tickets? 

Re: Anyone have any tips for taking a toddler to Disney?

• We just got back with TWO toddlers... it was awesome!

Are you flying?  That was the toughest part for us.  Once we got to Disney, everything was so kids focused that it really was no big deal at all!

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • check out https://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

great info on this board!  I have been planning our first WDW trip and this site has given such great info.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • imageOrangeSmoke:

We just got back with TWO toddlers... it was awesome!

Are you flying?  That was the toughest part for us.  Once we got to Disney, everything was so kids focused that it really was no big deal at all!

OMG, that's so great to hear! Yes, we are flying. We didn't buy her a seat so hopefully she does okay on the plane. My uncle got her a portable DVD player, so I'm gonna bring some kiddie DVD's for the flights & I'm hoping she just chills out 7 watches the DVDs. Any tips for prepping for the flight that might make my life easier?

Which parks did you visit? Did you pay full price for the tickets or get them discounted somehow?

• We took E when he was 13 months. We drove, but tool the boat an monorail around the park. E was freaked out by the sound of the hydraulics on the bus. We took our jogging stroller...big mistake. Take a lightweight stroller. I also found it easier to have a backpack diaper bag since you had to fold te stroller up on the bus and monorail. There is a huge baby changing area at each park. It has places to nurse and play as well. E had an awesome time. We are taking him again in January before he turns 3.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Booze??  Drinks
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We went with Katie for the 1st time when she was 13 months and I thought it was easy (as far as traveling with toddler).  We have been back 2x since.

We got K her own seat on the plane so I thought the flight was not bad. Have snacks and maybe some new toys she has never seen.

As far as parks. We stayed for a week and did all the parks.  As far as I know there are no discount tickets but at least dd will be free.   Do you  know where you are staying?

Definitely bring a light weight stroller.  Is she the type of kid that naps in the stroller? K was and it made life so much easier.  I carried a back pack around the park with all the essentials I need for the day- diapers, wipes, change of clothes, sun screen etc. Disney has baby care centers in all the parks that are wonderful for changing diapers, feeding them and giving them some downtime.  See where it is when you get to the park each day. 

Disney is such a kid focused placed that I thought it was "easy" to have a toddler there.  

Does DD know who Mickey Mouse is?  We started showing Katie pics of him and tought her to sign Mickey Mouse and she was doing it the whole trip when she saw pics of him.  She was so excited when she "met" him.  It was very cute.

Let me know if you have a specific questions!  

• imagejds0521:
    imageOrangeSmoke:

We just got back with TWO toddlers... it was awesome!

OMG, that's so great to hear! Yes, we are flying. We didn't buy her a seat so hopefully she does okay on the plane. My uncle got her a portable DVD player, so I'm gonna bring some kiddie DVD's for the flights & I'm hoping she just chills out 7 watches the DVDs. Any tips for prepping for the flight that might make my life easier?

Which parks did you visit? Did you pay full price for the tickets or get them discounted somehow?

We went to ALL the parks!  LOL.  We were there for 7 days so we took it easy and there was still a TON we didn't get to.  As for tickets, we got the discounted tickets from work and then upgraded to an annual pass since we'll be going more than once a year.  I think AAA also has discounts?

We bought 3 seats on the plane for the 4 of us and it was fine.  Hopefully she'll sleep! 

Our schedule there looked like this:

7:30 - breakfast

9:00 - get to parks do 1 or 2 rides

9:30 - milk and snacks

fall asleep in stroller (usually an hour).  Dh and I take turns doing rides that they can't go on.

11:30 - lunch

more rides, head back to the hotel for the pool

2:30- milk and snack

nap in room

5:00 - dinner and walk around

7:00 - bedtime.

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We took DS when he was 15 months and are going again this year when he is 3 1/2 and DD is 15 months (coincidentally!). 

I suggest not trying to fit in too much, little ones get tired and heading back for a nap is a good idea.  We also got home in time for a decent bedtime which meant missing the fireworks every night but having a happy baby makes for a much more pleasant trip!

Also, like PP said, bring a lightweight stroller that is easy to fold because you will have to fold it when riding the buses to the parks.  I was by myself a lot during my trip (DH was there for a conference and DS and I just tagged along) so I got a backpack diaper bag so I had one less thing to carry - getting a baby and a stroller on and off a bus by yourself is enough work as it is!

And just one other thing to consider, once DS went to bed, we were stuck in the room with the lights out and TV off.  So bring some books or something else to keep you occupied at night.  That was definitely something that we hadnt planned for.

Have fun!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-----Lisa-----
  • Best advice is to play it by ear. DS warmed up to rides and things after the first day. The first day was kind of a train wreck - he was afraid of Dumbo and cried, it went down hill after that. We took in some shows and he got better. We did Dumbo the next day and he was much more into it. He warmed up to the characters after a few days too.
    We took afternoon breaks and went back for a couple of hours after dinner. Most nights he fell asleep in his stroller and me and H took in night time shows. All in all he had a great time!
    Discount tix don't really exist (unless it's a scam) you can get some $ off at undercovertourist.com - I use them all the time for WDW
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Just got back with a five and two year old. Def. bring a lightweight stroller that DD can sleep in. Disney is exhausting. If you can manage it, a nap or a rest back at the hotel at least some of the days is great. There are tons of things for a toddler to do... I was actually pleasantly surprised. You can bring snacks/drinks in and we did that - goldfish, raisins, water, etc. Bring a coat or at least a rain jacket. It rains a lot in Fla. Check the weather before you go - don't know what it is supposed to be like there then. Have fun, it's awesome!
  • Thanks ladies! I am nervous mostly about bedtime & havign to have the room quiet/lights off after she goes down. Im hoping to just have her stay up a little later than normal & that she'll take na extra nap. I'm also nervous about the flight & getting everything she needs ready for it. I think it'll be fine...hopefully she'll nap in the stroller! She normally won't take long naps in there, but even an hour will eb good for her. I'll check out the link & the TSA website to see if they have any addtl. tips for traveling with kids. Oh & great idea about getting her ready by showing her stuff with Mickey/Disney Characters..I'm def gonna do that!

Wish me luck, haha! I'm sure it'll be fun!

• All our kids have been going to Disney since they were each 5 months old, it is the most kid friendly vacation. Disney makes it all so easy!

As far as flying, it isn't a long flight so hopefully she will sleep for you! My kids out cold on the plane when the plane starts to move! Just bring snacks and some toys for her. When they were under 2 years old we did lap as well with our kids.

We are going next month too!

• Are you staying on disney property?

As far asleep, I find when I am down there my kids aren't phased by the change of routine and so exhausted they sleep anywhere!

• I havn't read through all the post. But the best way to get discount tix is AAA they are the best (unless you are in state!)..they also have the best deals on hotels..Best way to do it IMO is to stay at less expensive hotel and get a suite that way baby can sleep in one room and you don't have to go to bed at 7PM..

We took Jake at the same age for his bday. He loved it went on lots of the rides..DH wants to go back! I am ready to go back when I am not so pg!! HAVE fun..!!

• imagebrowneyedgrl4282:

Are you staying on disney property?

As far asleep, I find when I am down there my kids aren't phased by the change of routine and so exhausted they sleep anywhere!

No, we are staying at the Omni Orlando. We didn't want to spend the extra $$ since she won't really remember the trip. And this hotel has discounts for govt employees. :)

When are you going? We are going the 2nd-5th.

I hope DD is as go with the flow as your kids were...she normally is if she's out & about, so finger's crossed - she will be this time as well!

Alissa - GREAT idea, too bad I didn't ask before we booked this trip. Ugh. Maybe the hotel will let us upgrade & pay the extra if they have space available? Worth a shot. And I def agree w/you, I wouldn't want to go if I was 25 weeks pregnant!

• You guys will have an incredible time!!!!

We mailed down diapers, formula, wipes, small collapsable cooler, cereal, some toys and other stuff beforehand so that when we arrived it was in our room. COOLER is key for the parks=pack your own water/milk/soda/fruit and you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for that there. 

For the plane bring masking tape...for real! My LOs loved playing with it on the plane. I taped up their seats and they had a blast tearing it up and getting it off of their clothes and stuff. DVD player/movies, books, LOLLIPOPS, juice/milk during takeoff and landing, new toys that she would enjoy, then pick up another one in Disney (and don't let her see it) use it for the way home. THe ride goes fast...depending where you are flying from (our was 2 1/2 and it was fast).

Bring a "leash" for your LO. Target has cute monkey and dog ones that are stuffed animal back pack like with a leash for you to hold. It gives your LO a sense of being independent yet you can't lose her in hectic Disney. SOOO many people asked me where I got mine. You would think they would sell them there but they don't. I saw many lost children that it broke my heart...if they only had a leash ;)

AAA has discounted tickets-not by much. No one really does-it's Disney :)

Try to book your character dining reservations NOW if you haven't already. They book very early.

Have a blast and try not to get overwhelmed. Waiting on lines with a toddler can be a bit hectic so bring your games and tape on line with you. Some people stick to their baby's nap schedule and night time routine but we never do. It's expensive to go so last time I went my 1 yo and I stayed 12 hours at a park while DH and my 2 yo rested at the hotel.   

Enjoy and have a magical vacation! I'll be back in the beginning of December! We can't wait!!!! 

• imagejds0521:
    imagebrowneyedgrl4282:

Are you staying on disney property?

No, we are staying at the Omni Orlando. We didn't want to spend the extra $$ since she won't really remember the trip. And this hotel has discounts for govt employees. :)

When are you going? We are going the 2nd-5th.

I hope DD is as go with the flow as your kids were...she normally is if she's out & about, so finger's crossed - she will be this time as well!

We just miss each other by a week! You will be there still for Food & Wine Festival!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"