School-Aged Children

Rec your 7+ Passenger SUV/Crossover

First time posting here, but thought this board might have good advice. DH and I are looking for a larger SUV (7 pass). We're just starting to look, are not too familiar with the options, and are interested in getting some recs. We're considering the Buick Enclave and the Chevy Traverse so far...any others? What do you like about your SUV/Crossover?

Caitlin 4.17.11     Madeline 10.20.13

Re: Rec your 7+ Passenger SUV/Crossover

• We have an acura mdx, which is similar to a honda pilot.  The rear row has latch and tether for both seats, as do all 3 front seats.  It's plenty roomy, IMO, but with the 3rd row completely up, it's hard to pack for a long trip (minivans are better in that area b/c they have a deep well in the back that SUVs lack).  I like it for the option of bringing extra people with us, even though we rarely use the 3rd row.  We will be using it all the time come April.  My plan is to put my older kids in the way back and the baby behind the driver so that they big kids can use the seat that flips up to get in/out easily. 

My only suggestions would be to make sure the rear row is useable.  If you have captains chairs, like the Traverse has, your 3rd row really needs to be able to seat 3 people comfortably.  Usually, the 3rd row in an SUV is only suitable for children (except in the Ford Flex, the 3rd row in that car is great).

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • We love our 2011 Explorer!  I came out of a Mercury Mountaineer where the 3rd row was useless with the car seats strapped in, you couldn't get to them without hopping over.

I test drove the CX-9, Traverse, and Acadia.  We got the captains chairs in the 2nd row with no console so people can pass through to the 3rd row.  We have the carseats tethered in the 2nd row , my 5 yo son is in a Britax Frontier (5 pt harness booster) and my 3 yo daughter is in the Britax Decathalon with plenty of room.  It's been great to bring out my nieces and nephews and parents (they are little). Love the ride, the interior, the room - I would highly recommend it!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto the 2011 Explorer! My parents have one and it's awesome. The 3rd row has plenty of room, I'm 5' 10" and can sit comfortably back there. I have a Pilot and the 3rd row has very limited legroom, we can really only fit the kids back there and the seatbelts with the booster seats are a fiddle. Go and test drive an Explorer, really nice vehicle all around! I want one!
  • I drive a 2011 Mercedes GL and I love it. Before that I drove a BMW X5 and while the control panel was easier on that, the Mercedes drives great and adults can actually sit in the third row!
  • 2010 and newer Pilots....

The third row is easily accesible, still leaves room for a weeks worth of groceries in the back, and can be folded down w/ one hand when not needed! 2nd row is very roomy and easily slides forward and folds for 3rd row access.

We took 5 adults and a school age child on an 800 mile road trip..just used a luggage bag on top for 2 suitcases, but had pillows, a personal cooler, and odds and ends in the back with the third row open..everyone stayed comfy the whole time!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • gmc acadia denali!! love mine
    ~Kath~ Proud Mommy to Kailyn Marie (8-16-05) & KJ (7-26-08) Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageLilypie Pregnancy tickershref="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d105/kath0816/?action=view&current=DSC02152-1-1.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"