Colorado Babies

We're moving to Denver.. Where to live?

Hi Ladies!

So I just got word that my company is transferring me to the Denver offices.  We?re very excited about starting the next chapter is our lives.  I need some advice though on areas to live.  We're familiar with the mountain towns but not actually downtown Denver.  I?ll be working in LoDo, close to the state Capital building. 

We will be renting to get a better feel for the areas before we buy a house in a few years. We like a suburban setting, safe neighborhoods, yet still close to shopping & restaurants.  Ideally, I?d like my commute to be 30 minutes or less.  I?ve heard good things about DTC, Cherry Creek, and the Village..  but would love to hear some other options!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: We're moving to Denver.. Where to live?

• There are so many great neighborhoods!  What type of housing are you looking for (house, condo, loft)?  What type of community features are important to you (parks, restaurants, school, etc.)? 

• hi there! check out the Colorado Board on the Nest. Im sure you will get a lot of response over there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We live in Cherry Creek and in my opinion it's the best/safest neighborhood! Wash Park is also great! 
  • Douglas County has some of the best schools. I graduated from one of the high schools there. I went to four different high schools in three different states and the one in Douglas County was by far the best. Douglas County is pretty safe and has lots of parks. Most elementary schools are in walking distance as well as parks. I know Highlands Ranch as part of the HOA fee covers the usage of the Rec Centers. I think Lone Tree does too but I don't remember.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Cherry Creek, Wash Park, Congress Park, Lo-Hi, all great neighborhoods. 
  • the places you listed are pretty good places to live, but honestly, the DTC is not really housing...its more businesses along the I-25 and Belleview area.

Cherry Creek is nice, but can be very pricey.  Same thing with Wash Park and Congress park.  I would personally stay out of downtown proper (Capitol Hill)  High crime rate and the parking is AWFUL!  trust me...I used to live there in my 20's.  Great for the night life....SUCK for family life.

I work in Lo-Hi (lower Highlands) which is pretty close to the West side of I-25 and Speer, and it is the up and coming area!  Its getting up there in price range, but you can find some cute bungalows along 29th ave to Sloans lake at decent purchase and rental prices. 

When I grew up and decided that I wanted to purchase my first home, I moved to Westminster.  maybe 20 minutes NW of Denver Downtown and I have to say that it is a GREAT place to raise a family!  Reasonable home prices, older, well-established homes, etc.  I lived very close to Stanley lake and literally 20 mintues from the foothills and Boulder.  I sometimes wish I still live there...just dont tell my hubby!

Then i got married and moved into my husbands home which is in Centennial on the South side of Denver.  I-25 and Dry Creek area.  South of DTC, North of Castle Rock and East of Highlands Ranch.  The homes are beautiful, a little more pricey, and the Cherry Creek school district is a great place to take your kids for school.  highlands ranch is nice....but EXPENSIVE if you hit the upscale area.  Same for Lone Tree.  The only crappy part on living South of Denver is the commute to Downtown.  it SUCKS!  I try taking the train into work everyday to avoid sitting in I-25 rush hour, but sometimes I HAVE to drive.  i swear I will be a road rage victim sooner or later.  So, if you decide to live South, consider moving close to a lightrail station so you can take mass transportation.  Trust me, you will not stress as much.  Maybe find out if your company offers bus passes?  good luck!

• When I moved here 11 years ago I picked location based on the best schools.  We looked at Cherry Creek district and yes they were impressive, but houses are pricey.  We also looked at Douglas County schools and they had higher test scores and less pricey houses. I haven't regretted our choice! We settled in Castle Rock, which still has a small town feel.  The commute is kinda long by car, but the start of the light rail is only 10 minutes away.  I can vouch for the schools in Douglas County like the pp. My two high schoolers are currently taking college courses, and have always tested high on the csaps. I give total credit to the teachers we have in our schools Rock Ridge Elm, Mesa middle, and Douglas County High.

Good luck!! Colorado is a wonderful place to raise families!! Big Smile

Matthew & Lillian 1/23/2012 It's TWINS!!!!! 1rst IVF May 2011 ER 5/30/11 ET 6/2/11 2 transfered #1 6/10/11 211 #2 6/13/11 880!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I too just moved to Colorado recently. I have found the Westminster/Broomfield area very nice with everything that you practically need either within walking distance or a short drive. Also, try to be in Adams 12 School District as they have a great school system. Furthermore, there are a lot of things to do with the little one such as taking them to Barnes & Nobles to play, the City Center, the variety of parks and hiking trails, and the play area at Flat Irons Mall in Broomfield. This area is only 20 minutes from either Denver or Boulder.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Cat tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"