Military Families

enrolling LO in deers

So my husband said i have to have the birth certificate to enroll LO in deers, Im not going to have it within 30 days. We have standard, is this going to mess me up in anyways? as far and getting dr appt paid for and such

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Single mama - beautiful baby - learning to live

Re: enrolling LO in deers

• 1. You don't need the birth certificate if you take the baby with you to register. You will have to bring it in later along with LO's social security number, but you can register LO without either.

2. LO is automatically covered under Tricare Prime for 60 days from birth. This will cover your first few check-ups, as well as your hospital stay. If you want LO to be covered under Standard you will have to go to the Tricare office and change his/her status after he/she is enrolled in DEERS.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagemeltoine:

1. You don't need the birth certificate if you take the baby with you to register. You will have to bring it in later along with LO's social security number, but you can register LO without either.

2. LO is automatically covered under Tricare Prime for 60 days from birth. This will cover your first few check-ups, as well as your hospital stay. If you want LO to be covered under Standard you will have to go to the Tricare office and change his/her status after he/she is enrolled in DEERS.

Meltoine is right on #2, but I would call your local DEERS office and check on the first part. We didn't have to have the official certified birth certificate, but we were required to bring the paperwork the hospital gave us. I don't know why, but these things do occasionally vary by post/base.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageStarJay:
    imagemeltoine:

1. You don't need the birth certificate if you take the baby with you to register. You will have to bring it in later along with LO's social security number, but you can register LO without either.

Meltoine is right on #2, but I would call your local DEERS office and check on the first part. We didn't have to have the official certified birth certificate, but we were required to bring the paperwork the hospital gave us. I don't know why, but these things do occasionally vary by post/base.

This, we had to bring the letter of birth, I also brought all the other paperwork I had from the hospital incase they wanted to see it.

Photobucket
  • I agree with double checking on number 1. I had to have the birth certificate or "hospital's confirmation of birth." And since I gave birth to her at home I had to have the official b.c. I even called because my county lost my paperwork and so getting her birth certificate took forever. The DEERS/ID office confirmed I needed it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you! follow up question, do I have to have DH with me to do this? Hes under way until early Nov
  • You have to have him or a power of attorney.
    ~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We enrolled him in DEERS with a certificate of live birth provided by the hospital.  When his SS card gets here, we need to bring a copy of that by for them as well.

And ditto what a pp said about baby being covered by Prime for 60 days from birth.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• imagehunt2005:
    You have to have him or a power of attorney.
    FWIW, it is a special power of attorney that is needed to be able to add your LO to DEERS. Tell him to get to JAG ASAP then send it home to you as quickly as possible. A regular typical POA will not suffice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you!! You ladies are a great resource!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"