Northern California Babies
Options

NBR: School me on Cake Pops

What's the frosting to cake(13x9) ratio for the ball?  How many balls should I expect that to yeild?

What's the best method to get them to stand for setting up after dipping in the coating?

How much of the melting chips should I get for a 13X9 cake?

We're attempting to make little pumpkin faces.  Any words of advice?

We're doing a pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting and I'm headed to Michaels tonight for the candy coating, and sticks.  Anything else I'm forgetting that's a must have?

Thanks so much for your experience!

Re: NBR: School me on Cake Pops

• Options
    We just recently made cake pops for my brothers 30th.  The biggest hint I can tell you is to buy shortening.  That is what we used to get the candy that melted for the frosting to get to the right thickness.  If you are putting on sticks make sure you have something to stick them into to dry so they are not down on the ball side.  I think some kind of styrofoam would probably work.  I would buy a couple bags of the candy coating, I know we went through one just trying to get the right consistantcy.  Good luck, post pics when your done!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

As you know I've done it several times and am becoming an expert!  j/k but he re's my start to finish tips...

FRICK'S TOP 10 CAKE POP TIPS:

1. Do not expect it to be fast.  Have lots of wine on hand. 

2.  Your cake must be compeltely cooled before you crumble it.  Like make it the day before cooled. 

3.  DO NOT add the whole can of frosting!  It will be too too sweet.  Start with a big spoonful and that will probably be enough.  Also, if your cake has any crisp corners that are more stuck together cut them off before you crumble.  It will make a little hard spot in your cake pop, no bueno. 

4.  When you make the cake balls use a spoon (I use a tablespoon measure) and make them as SMOOTH as possible.  If they have cracks, your pops will have cracks.  This is the hardest step for me.  One box of cake mix makes about 48 cake pops this size.

5.  Chill the cake balls but don't freeze!  Freezing= cracking.  Chill for maybe 5=10 min while your melting your melts and having a wine.

6. When you melt your melts add some crisco to the melts to make it thinner, shinier.  If you don't it will be a think gloppy mess.  Go easy because a little goes a long way, but I like my coating thin and not too thick b.c the white chocolate is so sweet.  Use a tall and narrow bowl with a sturdy side for tapping (glass is the best!)

7.  Dip the stick in the candy melt before sticking it in the cake.  It's like glue.

8.  Dip the ball, use a spoon to get the top, then tap tap tap tap and at the same time spin spin spin spin.  It takes a few to get used to it but when you get it down it's fun.  And make sure your wine is in the non-tapping hand! 

9.  Get a big piece of the GREEN floral foam for drying.  Don't cheap out and get the white because they WILL fall over.  I have a large piece of the green and I just kept the shrink wrap on it and made 48 evenly spaced holes, I use it again and again for making pops and I just wipe any spilled chocolate from decorating off when I'm done!  Good investment. 

10.  Don't worry about your flaws the decos will hide it!  But if you're doing the pumpkins there's no swirly to put over it cause you use the pen right?  You may want some brown chocolate on hand for ones that don't look so fab you can melt it and just have some plain orange with browm drizzles over them and some pumpkins.

I am totally doing the pumpkins and mummies for Alex's class this year!  I'll let you know how it goes.  LOVE THE CAKE POP!! 

The Boy Wonder 8/23/06 & The Famous Baby 6/1/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh just re-read and I would get 2-3 bags of melts, I'd get 2 prange and one brown in case you needed it for the swirling. 

And I would not have my kiddo help me the first time out the gate, it would be too stressful for me, but go for it if you can handle it!!  There are a LOT of steps and potential for mess ups, I still haven't made them with Alex, obviously you can see this is a middle-of-the-night "Mama Magic" thing for me! 

The Boy Wonder 8/23/06 & The Famous Baby 6/1/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    For drying my friend turns her colander/strainer (if you have one) upside down and puts the sticks in the holes.  She is cheap and makes a lot of cake pops for her daughter's different school functions so she didn't want to be buying the foam all the time.  
    imageimage
    107 Read/listened to in 2011: 91 Books/16 Audiobooks
    Read 2012: 33/50
  • Options

All great recos.  Thanks guys.  I cannot wait.

I'm making the cake tonight, mixing the frosting tomorrow, balling half of it & will do major assembly and dipping on Sunday.  I will have DC running around, but may/may not participate, so I want to have some ready.

I'm very lucky in that we have two fridge/freezers.  So I can get away with storing the balls.  HAHahahaa..a.  I said balls.  LOL LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"