3rd Trimester
Options

Colostrum...when is leakage supposed to begin?

I know it is supposed to happen sometime in the third trimester.  I'm just at my 29th week and am leaving for a week long camping trip with a bunch of other people (cabin-camping, but still).  I didn't even think until packing this morning that this might occur soon.  I don't know if this is a later 3rd tri issue or an anytime 3rd tri issue.  I'd like to know what's average, if anyone's talked about this with their OB/midwife or if it's happening already to you...I don't really have time to dash out to the store, but will if it's a real possibility.

Also, are there brands that are better, more comfortable?  Should I also be looking at some sort of balm for chapping or is that more or less not caused by moisture from leakage but more from breastfeeding?  

Thanks! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Colostrum...when is leakage supposed to begin?

• Options
    You may never leak.  I never leaked with my DD and am still nursing her.  I'm not leaking this time around either (but that could be because I'm still nursing).  I wouldn't worry about leaking just yet.  Enjoy your trip!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Relax and don't worry about it. Some women never leak during pregnancy. It's not a "when" thing, it's an "if". You may leak, you may not leak. I was already leaking with DD at this point in my pregnancy, but with this one, nada. And while it does happen to some, most women aren't leaking enough for breast pads at 29 weeks.

Go on your camping trip and don't worry about it. 

Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started leaking at 30 weeks but it's definitely NOT enough to run out for breast pads. It's barely enough to wet an extremely thin tank top....
  • Options
    I never leaked with DD and haven't with this pregnancy, either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I never leaked once with DS.  Even if you do start leaking I'm sure it won't be enough to warrant a nursing pad.  I wouldn't worry about it at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm not leaking and I'm 33 weeks...so I think it just depends on what your body wants to do.
  • Options
    Im almost done now and I havent leaked at all...
    PitaPata Dog tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    as said, you may not have an issue, but you could start spurting out! lol.  I've been leaking since very early on ( MC and got pregnant again quickly so my body never stopped changing) and just holding my arm the wrong way in front of my chest causes some nice wet spots, or laying a certain way when i sleep lol.  I use the lanolin ( i think thats how you spell it) and when they get bad or chapped i put that on and some disposable breast pads- before i just used some folded up paper towel with more lanolin on it, just for when i slept.  They still leaked through though.  Now i just dont use anything lol
  • Options
    It may never happen.  I never leaked during pregnancy with my son.  And even after my milk came in I was not leaking until maybe a month into BFing. And I had a nice full supply.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I never leaked.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I never leaked...and FWIW, I went on to EBF my daughter till 15 months. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options
    I started at 24 weeks- yikes!  Everyone's different, though, and lots of people never leak.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I guess I'm one of the few who leaks. I leaked my first pregnancy at 20 weeks and this one I got a break until 25 weeks.

I keep the Johnson and Johnson ones ready, as I can leak quite a bit sometimes. I enjoy that they have a little sticky portion to keep them in place. Hopefully you'll continue on in your lucky non-leaking! :) Have fun camping!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've been leaking once in a while since week 29.  It's never more than a couple drops, almost always happens at night, and happens more on my right boob than my left.  You should be fine with just some tissues or paper towels on a camping trip I'd think.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    37 weeks and still not leaking. 
    It's not one of those "it is supposed to happen" things. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    quick tip if your ever out of breast pads, at this point in the pregnancy or shortly after you most likely have panty liners with you right? If need be they work great in a pinch. Just cut them in half or down to size, peel and stick to the inside of your bra. Wahla problem averted.
  • Options
    I never leaked and if anything, I had oversupply with my son.

This time around, the only time I see anything is after I shower, when I assume the hot water hitting my boobs makes a little colostrum come out - very, very little, not even a drip, just something gathering in the nipple crevices.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

I'm almost 37w and have never leaked. I can squeeze out a drop if I try (though I rarely do, since it hurts), but I've never woken up to crusty nipples or seen anything in my bra.

If you do leak while you're on your trip, just fold up a piece of TP or gauze. You should be fine.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    I started at 29 weeks. I don't get wet spots or anything tho. I just found out one day when I squeezed and voila lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"