Pennsylvania Babies
Options

Goddard or UGro information?

Has anyone used/heard details about Goddard in the Rossmoyne Business Complex or the UGro on Messiah Village's campus? We currently have dd in a different daycare which we actually like fairly well, but their prices recently went up so Im looking into other daycare options just to make sure Im getting the best "bang for my buck" so to speak. Of course its not all about the price, especially considering that she likes it pretty well at her current daycare. But if I can pay a similar fee and get her into a more dynamic atmosphere or with more qualified teachers etc. then its worth considering. Goddard and UGro are really the only ones Im focused on at the moment, but if you have a compelling reason I should consider something else in the mechanicsburg area, Im open to it. Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Goddard or UGro information?

• Options
    Our 3 year old daughter goes to the Goddard in Rossmoyne business complex.  She's been there a year now and we've been pleased so far.  She has learned a lot since she's been there.  Now, I do find the tuition to be bit high, but I haven't compared it to any other centers recently.  We thought about moving her to the Navy base daycare since DH works there and it's significantly cheaper, but we decided to keep her at Goddard since she's doing so well there.
  • Options

We also go to Goddard.  My neighbor actually owns it.  I really like it there and I can really see a lot of progress in DS.  I stay home but DS was going twice a week so I could get some things done and has been FT over the summer while we're putting in a pool patio.  He really loves it there.  No idea how the price compares.  That's where he went when I was still working and it's convenient for us to drop off/pick up so we're happy there.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We send Adam to Children's Family Center, which also recently moved to Rossmoyne Business Center. It's less expensive than either of the two you mentioned and has a fantastic staff and a bright new facility. We love it there!

• Options
    imagerlthomas7:

We send Adam to Children's Family Center, which also recently moved to Rossmoyne Business Center. It's less expensive than either of the two you mentioned and has a fantastic staff and a bright new facility. We love it there!

Thats actually where DD is right now! When she moves up to the 2 year old room, their prices are actually MORE than goddard or UGRO which is one of the reasons we're thinking of switching. Generally we really like it there and she does too but I dont get the impression that the staff (in her current room) actually takes the time to get on their level and educate them. Her current teachers take good care of her but I always see them just sitting around while the kids are playing with toys on their own. What about sitting with them and teaching them a doll's body parts or showing them how one dinosaur is different from another etc? Thats what I feel is missing. Maybe they do that at other times of the day and the drop off/pick up time is just more casual? Im not sure, but that lack of education/cirriculum is really my only concern with her current location, otherwise its great! Do you feel that the teachers get more involved with challenging curriculum and education as they get older there? Ive only experienced the younger age rooms.

• Options

The education absolutely increases as they get into the older rooms. There have been many times that Adam has come home knowing things that I'm positive that I didn't teach him! I'll never forget that I was talking to him one time, well before we had started ABCs at home and I said "We have lots of things to do today: A, we have to... and as soon as I said "A" he said "ABCDEF"  I was stunned.

And pick up and drop off times are also substantially less structured than the main part of the day. What you see during that time is free play time. They really can't do formal education as parents are coming in, asking questions and picking up the kids.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a volunteer on the CFC board of directors. I'd love if you'd e-mail me and we could talk about this further. It would be great to get your opinions about your experience and observations as we continue to improve the center and provide the staff more professional development. My e-mail address is rachel dot jarabeck at paonline dot com.

• Options

i would NOT reccomend UGro anything to anyone!!

the owner, Janice, is an awful person.   I worked at 2 of their centers, and had friends from all over.   The horrible things that went on in that place behind closed doors have scarred me for life!!!     Made me HATE the whole thought of daycare.

Dont know anything about Goddard, so i cant compare.    Just make sure your checking out daycares thuroughly, and u ask other parents if they're happy, etc...

good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"