Eco-Friendly Family
Options

If you sew, please come in!

DD #2 is coming in a few weeks, and our glider (which was the floor model when we bought it for DD#1) cushions are looking stained & skanky.  I tried to find replacement cushions, but the glider has been discontinued.  Paying an upholstery place to re-do them was going to cost more than buying a new glider, so I decided to buy the fabric & try to re-cover them myself.

Well, I can barely sew a button back on, so it wasn't long before I realized I needed help.  Thankfully, SIL's mother offered to do it for me.  She has like 4 sewing machines and makes things for people all the time.  She even made herself a ball gown!  Anyway, I don't imagine it's a terribly complicated job for her to do, but I would like to give her something for her time.  I feel like giving her cash would be awkward, so I was thinking about a gift certificate either to the supermarket she shops at, or to a local fabric store, along with maybe a lottery ticket or two.

Does anyone have an idea of what would be approriate, and how much would be appropriate.  I spent about $30-$35 on the fabric & velcro for the straps.  We're re-using the cushions, and I took off the old covers so she could use them as a pattern.  Any suggestions would be appreciated :-)

Thanks!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: If you sew, please come in!

• Options

I think the gift card idea is great. I've done cushion cover and that sort of thing before, and they're not difficult, but I feel like gestures of appreciation are always a good thing. You could also consider a gift card to a restaurant that she likes. 

As for how much, I feel like there are a few options. You could A) gift her the "retail value" of her work (approx. 200% of the cost of materials), or B) whatever would be a reasonable amount for her to use the card for a purchase without having to put forth much if any of her own money in addition to it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That's very nice of you and your SIL!  I would love a gift card to a fabric store, personally.  The amount would depend on how long it took her.  Probably around $35 - $50?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had a very similar thing done by a woman who reupholsters from her home.  She charged me $30, I think, which I felt was a STEAL.  I would give your SIL a gift certificate of at least that amount.  I like the idea of to a fabric store.  Otherwise, to somewhere she might not splurge to, but would enjoy.  Like dinner out? 

(sidenote: I really don't like massages or manis/pedis so I don't like when people assume that's what I would want.) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"