Eco-Friendly Family

New car advice needed!

For the past ten years, we've been a single car family, driving a Honda Accord coupe.  It has low mileage, but is starting to show need for some major maintenance that would cost almost as much as the car is currently worth.  Now that we're ttc baby #1, we a realizing that our current car is not very kid friendly as it is a two door. 

We know we're going to have to get a different car once a baby is on the way, so we're trying to do some shopping now.  Does anyone have any advice regarding phthlates/toxicity, and versatility when buying a new car.  I'm concerned with breathing in a ton of nasty "new car chemicals" while pregnant, but I don't want to put off car shopping much longer. Are there any eco-friendly vehicles out there?

Re: New car advice needed!

• Have you considered getting a low mileage used car?  No or less toxic smells and you could getting a lot more bang for your buck by buying used.  Buying used is pretty damn ecofriendly and more points to you if you buy a used diesel vehicle.

however long the night, dawn will break.

• imageMrsLacy:
    Have you considered getting a low mileage used car?  No or less toxic smells and you could getting a lot more bang for your buck by buying used.  Buying used is pretty damn ecofriendly and more points to you if you buy a used diesel vehicle.

This is what I was going to suggest, too. I'll never buy a new car again. We considered buying a VW wagon recently; they're roomy, diesel-fueled (depending on the model) and last forever.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the used car ideas.  I'm thinking that we can probably find something used with little mileage that will still be reliable and "new" for us!
  • imageSoyager:

imageMrsLacy:
    Have you considered getting a low mileage used car?  No or less toxic smells and you could getting a lot more bang for your buck by buying used.  Buying used is pretty damn ecofriendly and more points to you if you buy a used diesel vehicle.

This is what I was going to suggest, too. I'll never buy a new car again. We considered buying a VW wagon recently; they're roomy, diesel-fueled (depending on the model) and last forever.

We just bought a 2005 diesel Jetta a few months ago and absolutely love everything about it.  I highly recommend VW diesels! 

• imageSoyager:

imageMrsLacy:

We just bought a 2005 diesel Jetta a few months ago and absolutely love everything about it.  I highly recommend VW diesels! 

• We are pretty in love with our Prius.  Large backseat for a car, smooth ride and the 50+mpg doesn't hurt.

If you go used and don't smoke, make sure the previous owners also didn't smoke.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"