2nd Trimester

On the Verge of Leaving My Job

I am in the process of quitting my job. I am going to be talking to HR to find out if I quit how long I will still have health insurance for, and we will be talking to my husband's HR about when we can pick up insurance through them. I am hoping that my company is not going to make me wait until the very last day to give me the certificate about the end of coverage so that way if my insurance will run through Oct then his can pick up in November. I am nervous about the insurance switch and hope everything will go smoothly. I am also nervous about not working anymore. I am scared of DH being the sole income, and even though I know we can live off of his income we will still need to cut back.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Any advice?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: On the Verge of Leaving My Job

• I'm sort of in the same boat, planning on leaving my job around the end of the year (baby is due on Feb 6). I think it's a little scary to give up my income even though I know we can live off his salary if we need to. It really seems like the best thing, since I don't feel good about putting our little one in day care and there's no good maternity leave at my job. I've been telling myself that this is a life phase and not a permanent situation. I've spent a lot of years working and will probably spend a lot more later on, so I'm hoping to enjoy this time at home with the baby. As far as insurance, if you've checked it out and know that you'll be able to get on your husband's health plan, all should go well. Good luck! :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I hope everything goes smoothly for you on insurance.  That would be more scarey to me than anything.  I basically stay at home at we really haven't noticed the income change.  (I made around 55/yr) I know that seems like we should notice it but we haven't.  We only have our house as our debt and so everything else is bills and what we spend.  We are still currently saving.  I think there are some circumstances, child support, debt (student loans), and such that get in the way but I think most people if they don't have that can do it.  You just live off of what you have and no more.  If you don't have the money don't put it on credit! Unless you have to...I know there are some things you have to buy.  It will take a few months but I think you'll get used to it really fast.  I bought alot of baby items of CL, baby gates, walker, rocker, swing.  There are so many ways you can cut corners.  Wait to buy stuff for sales esp. at BRU they always have sales on stuff you want you might just have to wait a few weeks.  It isn't for everyone but I love it for right now.  I love it! I love being with my little man!  Good luck to you.  Maybe start going over your money worries now so that everything is in a row before you quit.  Then everything will be in place and you won't have to get anxious right before that baby gets here.
  • Loading the player...
  • At most places of employment, you can only add people to your insurance plan during the open enrollment period or if it is a "qualifying life event" such as a marriage or the birth or adoption of a child. The open enrollment period, however, varies depending on your company. Good luck - hope your husband's open enrollment period is soon! Mine isn't until March.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The insurance is what scares me the most. I was trying to hold out until January but it has become unbearable and I don't want to spend the rest of the pregnancy miserable or have the stress cause complications. We don't have a lot of debt, we have our cars (DH's company car allowance pays for most of that), we have the mortgage, DH pays child support for SS ($300/month), and I have student loans ($150/month). We have been saving my paychecks for several months now and haven't had to touch them at all. I know there will be some corners we have to cut such as not going out to eat as much but I feel that it will be worth it.

I guess I am just scared of the unknown and not knowing what to do with my time. However, when LO gets here I am sure that all of that free time will be gone.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Best of luck!!! While I am grateful to have a well paying job, I wish I had the option of leaving and staying home with my LO...but I dont.  I make the larger income and it would be impossible (given our mortgage and other bills) for us to make it on my DH's salary alone. 

Hoping the insurance situation works out...if all fails you can try to get emergency medicaid for the period in between when you have your own health insurance and can be added to your DH's insurance.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageres932:

The insurance is what scares me the most. I was trying to hold out until January but it has become unbearable and I don't want to spend the rest of the pregnancy miserable or have the stress cause complications. We don't have a lot of debt, we have our cars (DH's company car allowance pays for most of that), we have the mortgage, DH pays child support for SS ($300/month), and I have student loans ($150/month). We have been saving my paychecks for several months now and haven't had to touch them at all. I know there will be some corners we have to cut such as not going out to eat as much but I feel that it will be worth it.

I guess I am just scared of the unknown and not knowing what to do with my time. However, when LO gets here I am sure that all of that free time will be gone.

The time...I've never had so little time in my life.  In fact if you like to read,  I suggest you do that now.  The first few months is seems like everything is hard to do without having someone close.  Then they can play a little and it gets easier.  My ds is one and it seems like I can do so much more than I used to.  Then I get to see what it is like added another. lol 

I'm sorry your work sucks that bad.  But if you have saved your checks for awhile I think you will be fine.  You obviously don't need that money from paycheck to paycheck.  Sure some things will come up doctor bills etc. but you will have it saved so no worries.  I still think about the money we could be bringing in if I worked but then I remember this is a period in time.  Things are always changing and who knows I could have to go back tomorrow.  So enjoy it while you can. Things will work out.  And you can always go back to work.  Maybe not to the same place but there is always somewhere!

• imageLifeAtMyOwnPace:
    At most places of employment, you can only add people to your insurance plan during the open enrollment period or if it is a "qualifying life event" such as a marriage or the birth or adoption of a child. The open enrollment period, however, varies depending on your company. Good luck - hope your husband's open enrollment period is soon! Mine isn't until March.

If there is a loss of coverage it usually falls under "life event"

One thing is if the insurance is a different company, make sure your drs office takes it.

I had to change drs half way through with my 6 year old because of an insurance change. 

Allison Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebootsnbananas:

imageLifeAtMyOwnPace:
    At most places of employment, you can only add people to your insurance plan during the open enrollment period or if it is a "qualifying life event" such as a marriage or the birth or adoption of a child. The open enrollment period, however, varies depending on your company. Good luck - hope your husband's open enrollment period is soon! Mine isn't until March.

If there is a loss of coverage it usually falls under "life event"

One thing is if the insurance is a different company, make sure your drs office takes it.

I had to change drs half way through with my 6 year old because of an insurance change. 

I was told by someone who quit at my company that they weren't allowed to go on their spouse's insurance until the open enrollment period, so make sure you at least make a phone call to your H's insurance and check it out.  If they won't let you switch, you can always pick up COBRA, but that tends to be pretty expensive.  I know that with mine and H's insurance the open enrollment period is October and November, but coverage doesn't start until January 1.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I left my job when DH and I got married- I put in my two weeks and the very next day I found out I was pregnant!  Because of the wedding, he was easily able to add me on to his plan.  Even though it took us several weeks to get all of the paperwork in, coverage for me kicked in the day of the wedding.

Unfortunately, we live with my MIL, whose house just went into foreclosure.  We have mortgage payments, a lawyer payment, and a bankruptcy payment that DH is entirely footing the bill for.  I've only been unemployed for two months, but I needed to get back into the workforce.

My only advice is to save as much as you can, when you can.  Your family will very likely be just fine on one income, however, it never hurts to prepare for an emergency.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersimage
  • A little different situation, but I will likely be leaving my current job AFTER LO is born for several reasons.  First, DD #1 is currently under my health insurance, and we have to wait until open enrollment at the end of the year to switch her to her dad's plan.  We aren't married and his insurance does not have domestic partnership, so I don't qualify for his.  Therefore, I have to keep my job until DC #2 is born, but DC under his insurance, take my 8 weeks disability and (hopefully) 12 weeks FMLA, and go back to work for a minimum of 3 months so I don't have to pay the insurance premium (my companies policy is if you don't come back from medical leave, you have to pay the premium for the time you were out).  This way, at the end of the day, I will only have to worry about a COBRA for myself.  Just make sure you get all the details from both your and your H's companies. 
  • That really helps for me to read your post. I make about 55 a year right now and i want to leave my job. I went back to school (taking online classes now) and the baby is due in march. I jsut cant handle both and already got a bad grade in one of my classes on an exam. I am just so frazzled. Im scared that we cant live off one salary but your post helps.  Did you budget? once you quit, did you feel afraid? Im always scared well have nothing to live on!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"