Health & Exercise
Options

Bikram Yoga & P90X

Did both before I found out I was preggo.  I've read multiple articles about Bikram (hot yoga)  and pregnancy, but I'm still concerned about overheating.

I've done several rounds of P90X since January (my resolution was to lose 10 pounds - I lost 20!!!) but every time I work out I PUSH, don't know if I have it in me to do otherwise.  Also not sure if some of the exercises are safe for pregnancy.

Does anyone have any insight on either?  Any other workout junkies find an exercise that works for them that is safe(er) for pregnancy? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bikram Yoga & P90X

• Options

Personally hot yoga, Bikram in particular, would make me nervous. I say that because the Bikram studio here is really strick and won?t let anyone leave, no matter what the reason, once the class has started and they allow no water intake for the first part of class and forget about talking.  With that being said, they did have a pregnant instructor so I know it can be done if you are experienced but personally I would not do it, especially if you have never taken a hot yoga class.  BTW not all hot yoga is Bikram there are other types.  Bikram does not have a flow to it so if you have only taken yoga at say the gym Bikram is going to be different in many ways not just in that it is hot.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My dr gave me the ok for P90x bc I was already doing it but at some point, you get tired and your gait is off. Plus all the pull ups/lifting over your head. I went to about 30 wks. Lower impact works and good ol' walks! GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageJessicaJenkins83:
    My dr gave me the ok for P90x bc I was already doing it but at some point, you get tired and your gait is off. Plus all the pull ups/lifting over your head. I went to about 30 wks. Lower impact works and good ol' walks! GL!

I was thinking about doing the "lean" routine (less ab ripper, no plyo) or some variation of the tapes that just works better for me and how I feel that day.  Obviously pushups/pullups are going to be an issue at some point :P  Honestly I'm mostly worried about safety.  I am a klutz, after all! 

• Options
    LOL Yes this can be a tough workout w/o adding pregnancy to it:) I did wall push ups and used the bands with a lunge position for pull ups. Still hurt plenty:) I cut ab ripper I mean you can't keep those in tact and I actually did plyo for a while - just variations on some stuff like rockstar jumps. You can do it and way to stay active! Try the 10 Min Trainer if you want as well. Less intense. I'll PM you info.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Great, ty!
  • Options
    I've been doing Bikram yoga for years.  i have a feeling my doctor might say to stop, but I"m going to talk to her about it.  I have a good friend who is an instructor and at 40, just had a baby and practiced her yoga throughout.  I know it can be done, but just not sure what the doc will say.  I'm still taking my spin class and lifting weights.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I would of course check with your doctor first. So early in your pregnancy, I can't imagine there would be any objections from a medical standpoint, and since you already have a practice there should be even fewer objections. Once you get farther along in your pregnancy inversions are not recommended and maybe "frowned upon." But it depends on your doctor. My doctors are a bunch of hippies (and I mean that in a good way). So they want to intervene as little as possible in your birth. My sister's doctors are really conversative- so they gave her a list of things not to eat and activities to limit ect... My only thought about Bikram at this point is it may be uncomfortable for you, if you develope any morning sickness (which if it hasn't set in- it may in the coming days). My personal experience was- I'd experience a kind of hot flash and then moments later- I was sick. Maybe check if there is an easy access bathroom at your studio (from a logistics standpoint). But maybe you won't have any morning sickness. And of course you need to hydrate more than you have previously during and after class.

If you are looking for alternatives, have you considered prenatal pilates? Yoga will help (a prenatal class in particular) develope and strengthen your pelvic floor, which helps with delivery and recovery. Prenatal yoga also really helped me with back pain later in pregnancy.

Good Luck and congrats!

• Options

Try other BeachBody programs such as ChaLEAN Extreme and Yoga Booty Ballet: Baby on the Way.  I was doing TurboFIRE when I got pregnant and all the bouncing bothered me.  I've been mixing my routine with ChaLEAN and YBB:Baby on the Way since my second trimester.  Now entering my third trimester I?ve been grabbing YBB and speed walking. 

10 minute training is good as well.

• Options

I was in the middle of a 4-week Ashtanga Yoga challenge (yoga every morning for 1.5 hrs), when I (unexpectedly!) found out I was pregnant last week.

I have been doing Ashtanga yoga for about 7 years, so I am not new to this. 

I am not sure what to do. I feel that the benefits of a yoga workout outweigh the bad.  However, I did lots of reading over the last few days, and see completely mixed reviews about how safe yoga is in the first trimester.  In fact, Wikipedia claims that frequent exercise in the first trimester is correlated with higher rates of miscarriage!? 

Some of the other risks I've read about though, are the high temperature of the room - it can increase your core temperature and is dangerous for the fetus?  While I am not doing "hot yoga" per se, I know the temperature of the room usually gets up to 28 or 29 degrees Celsius (well above room temperature).  I know some of the inverted poses are dangerous, so I've cut those out altogether.  But I also heard that yoga can lower your blood pressure, which is also dangerous for the fetus.   I don't know what to believe and what not to believe - and a doctor won't see me until I'm 8 or 9 weeks pregnant.  I'm currently 6.5 weeks.

Anyone else in the same boat?

• Options
    I would not recommend hot yoga. Instead go for something that can be done at normal temperature. Also consult a doctor and get advise on what are the other options if you plan not to continue Yoga.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"