School-Aged Children
Options

Typical evening in your house?

What does a typical evening in your house look like?  Once I pick the kids up, make dinner, get them to eat, fitting in time to work on "homework" with the older two (practice writing or sight words) but needing to get the baby bathed and ready for bed which is moving up to 7 now that she is really just napping once, I feel I lost the entire night and we are rushing to get showers and in bed.  I do have help from DH with the getting ready for bed but he gets home almost when it's time for the baby to go to bed so I don't have help with all the stuff before.  Just wondering if you have a typical schedule you care to share.
Mommy to DS1 ~10.11.05~ DD1 ~07.22.07~ DD2 ~09.10.10~

Re: Typical evening in your house?

• Options

Depending on whether I have a faculty meeting or other after school obligation, I get home either at around 4:30 or around 6.  Both my kids are school aged, so I'm not dealing with the pressure of a baby's bedtime.  Also, we watch no TV in the evenings.  Still, our evenings can feel rushed.  

Typical evening starts at 4:30ish:

Kids work on homework with me overseeing while DH rides his bike.

I start on dinner sometime in the 5 pm hour. DH gets home and takes a shower & does chores.

DS wraps up homework and can help with dinner, play on his own, or read.

DD wraps up homework pretty close to dinner and they can play or help me.

We eat sometime in the 6 pm hour, wrapping up dinner and cleanup of kitchen by 7:30.

I read out loud to kids if there's time, or we go for a walk, or do something as a family, possibly run errands if needed.

At 8 pm, kids get ready for bed.  They're usually in bed by 8:20.  They are both allowed to read: DS until 8:30, DD until 9:15.  

DH and I hang out, I grade papers, or play video games while DH does the crossword puzzle.  We're usually asleep on the couch or in bed by 10.  At 5:30 we get up and do it all over again the next day!

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    Our nights are insane! Mondays are fine because we don't have any activities. Kids get home at 3:30, have a snack, do hw, and play until dinner which I try to have at 6pm. Then the whole bath time/bed time routine. I try to have then in bed tucked in at 7:30.
    Tues, Weds, & Thurs. are busy busy. The girls have dance at 6 and L has football at 530. So they come home, do hw and I make dinner (usually finish what I put in the crockpot) eat at 5 and get ready for dance/football. Home around 730 and straight to bath/bed. Weds are the same but L doesn't have football. Luckily dh takes him on Tuesday's. Thursdays l has football at 530 to 7 and then I have Choir practice at church from 7-8. Sorry I'm no help. Our schedule is nuts!!
    1st Day of Kindergarten & 1st Grade 08.29.11

Landon * Kaydance * Kennedy
    5/13/05 ******5/24/06

* Baby is due July 24 2012 * Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Weeknights are pretty packed. 

We have an hour to chill when we first get home. Oldest DD likes to get her homework and practicing done right away while the younger two like to play.

Then it is dinner, homework, pack lunches and backpacks, reading time, and bedtime. 

We do showers in the morning.

• Options
    Our weeknights are nuts!!  I get to my In-laws to pick up the kids at about 6pm.  I do homework with my son there before we go home.  We get home about 6:45 and I make dinner.  We rush to eat and bathe them if it's bath night (every other night).  Ideally, Ruby is in bed by about 8 and I try to get the older 2 in bed ready to read bedtime stories by 8:15.  It's very rushed & crazy during the week. 
  • Options
    Our weeknights are pretty relaxed.  I'm home with the 3 yr old all day.  DS gets off the bus at 3:15 and DH gets home at 3:45.  We all hang out for a couple hours, doing whatever.  DS will be out in the neighborhood or have friends over.  We have dinner around 6.  Homework after.  Kids go to bed at 8:30 and DH and I watch tv or read until we go to bed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Week nights are pretty routine at our house. DH isnt working so he usually has everything taken care of when i get home from work.

DH picks DD up at school around 2pm then it's home for homework (first) then playtime.

Before i get home DH has given DD a bath and has her ready for bed.

Dinner isnt usually made because he wants to know what im feeling like having so we figure that out and get it done. Then we eat.

After some family time, usually a board game, it's bed time for DD.

We brush her teeth, get her clothes out for school the next day, she picks out her snacks for her lunch and we read a story then it's lights out!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If my oldest has track, I pick him up from school at 5 (LO and I eat dinner before we pick him up), he eats a snack and we're out the door again at 5:45 for football. We get home around 7:45ish. He eats dinner and does homework till 9:30 (later if he isn't done yet) and then in bed. While he does homework, I bathe LO and put him to bed. I sit with older one and see how homework is going and ask how his day was.

If there is no track, he comes home on the bus and we all eat dinner then together and then leave for football. Monday nights is just track so that frees up some of the night for us.

When I was working, 90% of the meals was from the crockpot. It made the night so much easier that I didn't have to cook and it was easy clean-up - especially with the liners. 

• Options

Our nights are pretty easy, it's our afternoons that suck. Homework is the devil...

We're home by 3:15 on a normal day. She comes straight in and starts homework. That lasts anywhere from 45mins to 1.5 hours...depending on what it is and how much she hates doing it. Dyslexia is a biatch.

After that, she vegs out and colors or plays on her iPad, maybe watches a movie. During that time, I cook dinner and we hang out. She takes her shower before dinner usually and then we eat around 6:30 or 6:45 {or whenever DH gets home from work.} After dinner they read and she's in bed by 7:45 or 8. After that, I pack her lunch {I'm a bento box person} for the next day, chat with DH if he's not out of town, watch TV or read and am in bed around 11pm.

Now the changes...

On Mondays she has dance until 5:15, so she doesn't have much free time before dinner due to homework and getting ready for the next day.

On Tuesdays, DH and I have date night, so I start dinner and our sitter finishes it when she gets there at 6.

On Wednesday we go to church for dinner and Wed. night programs around 5pm and home by 7:30. She goes straight to bed and takes a shower in the AM.

• Options

5:30 - we all get home from work / school

5:30-5:45 - preparing dinner & starting homework

6:00 - 6:30 - dinner

6:30 - 7:30 (hopefully) homework

7:30 - 8 - shower and/or free time

8 - 8:30 bedtime

This is the goal, it is not always met.

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Our nights are hectic. It depends on what time I get out of school (typically around 4:30/5). They have a snack when they get home, do their homework, eat dinner, we have family time, they get ready for bed, we read/they read (depends), and they're off to bed while H and I try to relax/spend some US time together. It's all going to be thrown out of balance once this LO is born though. 
    Sophie Elisabeth 07.23.02 and Charlotte Abigail 12.08.04 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker ~However motherhood comes to you, it's a miracle. ~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"