Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Hyperthyroidism, Grave's Disease, etc.

Any moms out there who developed postpartum thyroiditis and or hyperthryoidism/grave's disease? When did it start for you, and how long did it last? Did it get better by itself? Did weaning help? I became hyperthyroid around 3/3.5 months after giving birth. It's now over 6 months, and I'm still hyperthyroid. I have breastfeeded this entire time and am wondering if stopping would help at all. would love to hear your experience.

Re: Hyperthyroidism, Grave's Disease, etc.

• I got it when Jules was around 3 months.  it cleared and went underactive then went normal but is being watched very closely because I am pregnant. 

I have no idea what fixed it. It usually clears on its own but in the middle of dealing with it I got knocked up and Julia weaned herself no idea if they were related.

Are you seeing an endocrinologist? It is possible that it isn't going to get better and in that case needs to be treated. According to my endo still being overactive past 6 months postpartum is rare if it is truly pp thyroiditis. An added bonus is that it can go underactive and stay that way forever. 

Allison Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was diagnoses w/ pp thyroiditis at 5 months pp - hyperthyroid - because i was having wicked heart arrythmia's. Last time I was checked it was trending back to normal but still too low (which means hyper). I'm scheduled for a follow-up in november (I'll be 8 mos pp), but I still don't think its right because I still get the arrythmia's, just not as much. They told me it should go back to normal on its own, but will watch it too. Coincidently, I also started my first pp period like the week the arrythmia's started (and were out of control like a wierd hearbeat every 5-10 seconds), so I gotta belive its linked up somehow to hormome fluctuates from nursing, periods, pregnancy etc. I also get they heart beats more when I'm nursing btw. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My bff had this. She had to wean bc of meds she was on. After that it got worse. I think she had a pretty severe case and was hospitalized for it once. Eventually she had to have her thyroid removed. She is 100x better now. Go see a doc for sure!
  • I have this. I found out my thyroid was hyperactive at 3.5 months post partum. I got to the endocrinologist next week. My OB didn't say it was any way related to breastfeeding. I still feel pretty off so I don't think it has evened out yet. My son is 5.5 months old now. 

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have postpartum hypothyroidism.  My baby has been formula fed for a long time and that has not made a difference.  It started a month or so postpartum.  I had to go on Synthroid 2 months ago because my levels were so high.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to stop taking it sometime in the future.
  • I went in for bloodwork at my doctor's office at almost 3 months pp because I wanted to see how my cholesterol and all that was checking out, well I was nursing and the weight fell off like crazy (38lbs preg weight +10 lbs but I had put on about 25lbs right before I got preggo) so I was pretty excited but I had noticed I was sweating, a LOT and I thought it was just hormones still kinda wacky well they called and my TSH levels were less than .01 indicating hyperthyroidism so I got my T4 tested and it was 19 and had an ultrasound done on my thyroid which was apparently rittled with nodules so my Dr had me so upset saying he didnt think it was PP related and wanted me to see an endocrinologist. I researched one I knew had a good reputation and knew what he/she was doing and 2 wks before my endo appt I started to feel  ALOT different (not sweating nearly as much, my weightloss slowed WAY down and i gained 5 lbs!) so I made my dr office retest me and low and behold I was not HYPO so I presented these results to my endo with the other tests and she determined it was thyroiditis and that the nodules tend to show up when your body goes through the hyperthyroid along with it enflaming. So right now Im in a wait and see period and she said if my symptoms get too much to handle she could put me on a low dose of Armour, but right now Im trying to take coconut oil to see if that will help me. I forgot to mention she tested both my antibodies for Hashimoto's and my thyroglobulin and I tested negative for the Hashimotos and positive for the other but it could be BECAUSE Im hypo that the antibodies are there, so I will be tested again in 8 weeks to see if my levels change or stay the same. She told me it could take up to a year to settle but perhaps not, so we'll see :) sorry for the long post!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"