Babies: 0 - 3 Months

lets talk about late naps (after 5pm)

I just put my LO in his crib for a nap and he finally fought it but fell asleep at like 530pm. I usually do his night routine about 7pm  and in bed 730/8pm. I worry that he'll think 530 pm is bedtime.

He will only nap in his crib so I have to put him there.

What do you do regarding late naps

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: lets talk about late naps (after 5pm)

• My LO did the same thing the other day. She hardly ever takes naps longer than 30-45 minutes. That day she was so tired and usually catnaps for only about 20 minutes around that time but she ended up sleeping from 4:45 until I woke her up at 7. I was worried she'd sleep her long stretch then and then be up at 10-11. I know they say "never wake a sleeping baby" but I did anyway--she wasn't too happy about it at first, but I fed her and played with her about an hour, did her bath and bedtime routine and she was in bed by 8:30 and slept until 2:30 (usually does 5-6 hr stretch when we first put her down), so I don't think she was affected by the unusually long nap that late in the day.
  • P.S. Your LO is SO cute. Love his hat!
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO takes a long (maybe 1.5-2 hours?), late nap just about every day, wakes up to eat, then will be awake for a few hours during which time she gets to play with her dad, take a bath, hear a story, take a bottle from her dad (I will be working nights, so trying to get her into a routine) and go down "for the night" between 8:30 and 10. 

"Bed time" is variable depending on exact nap timing.  She's sleeping hard right now and I have no clue when she'll wake up!   Sorry that probably isn't much help, but basically, our bedtime and bedtime routine just run later based on her late napping. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Mo/di baby girls lost at 20w3d due to complications from IUGR 9/2013
    Laproscopic surgery for ruptured ectopic at 7w  2/2014
  • My DS takes several catnaps during the day (20-30 minutes each).  Between 4 and 5 he will normally fall asleep for about 2 hours.  We have him up from 7 until 10 when he goes to bed when LO will sleep 5-6 hours
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageabbyfp2324:
    (usually does 5-6 hr stretch when we first put her down), so I don't think she was affected by the unusually long nap that late in the day.

This, too.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Mo/di baby girls lost at 20w3d due to complications from IUGR 9/2013
    Laproscopic surgery for ruptured ectopic at 7w  2/2014
  • Our LO doesn't stay up much longer that 1.5 hrs at a time without the fussiness starting, so we have to do some sort of nap / cat nap at this time each day, otherwise he would be a mess by bedtime, or going to bed sooo early. He usually sleeps for 45 mins or so. If he is in the crib and you are worried about it turning into 'bedtime' I'd wake him at least an hour before his normal bed time... I know "they" say never to do this but if it got too late I would personally, just to give him some awake time before "bed".
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My little girl takes a nap every day at 6pm (and her normal one in the afternoon too). As much as I try to keep her awake she takes a nap and will sleep normally until 6:45-7:00. She then plays for 30 minutes and then we start her nighttime routine of a bath and bottle at 7:30 and she is asleep between 8-8:30. She then sleeps until 6:00am. She sleeps 10-11 hours at night. Babies know when they need to sleep and once they get into a routine that is perfect for them! Granted my baby is 5 months old...she started this routine at around 3 1/2 months.
  • LO usually naps for 1.5 hours (average) between 4 and 6:30. Then when he gets up, I feed him on one side. We play with Daddy, bath time around 7:15/7:30, eat again and in bed just before 8. He had been sleeping 5-6 hours for his first stretch and then he sleeps until 9am or so with a few short feedings in there. So about 12-13 hours a night
  • My DS is a sleep begets sleep baby.  He takes late naps (today from 6-7:15) and then turns around and after bath and bottle goes to sleep 45-90 min later.  I actually find he sleeps better when he has a late nap then doesn't.  When he doesn't I usually find him over tired, cranky and hard to get down.  
  • imagelhutch2:
    My DS is a sleep begets sleep baby.  He takes late naps (today from 6-7:15) and then turns around and after bath and bottle goes to sleep 45-90 min later.  I actually find he sleeps better when he has a late nap then doesn't.  When he doesn't I usually find him over tired, cranky and hard to get down.  

This exactly! LO is the same way. No late nap equals VERY rough to get to sleep and doesn't sleep good all night really.

• I let DS2 nap whenever he needs a nap at this point. His bed time is 9pm and some times he'll nap till 8pm and then be back in bed for the night at 9. He's been sleeping 9pm-5am the last couple of weeks.
    Logan - 11/09, Lander 08/11, Baby #3 ~It's a girl!!~ EDD: 04/10/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"