Natural Birth
Options

New circumcision technique

During my Bradley class, I usually assign each couple a topic to research and during last night's class I learned that there is a new supposedly "non-surgical" circumcision technique that UNC Hospital has started to use. It is called the TaraKlamp. You can watch a video of the procedure on their website at https://www.taraklamp.com/ . Although after watching it, I'm not sure how they can do that to infants and have the "klamp" on for 5 days!

Re: New circumcision technique

• Options
    It does seem a bit cumbersome. I imagine a newborn's clamp would be tiny. I wonder if it's even an option in most hospitals. I've never seen it, and it seems like most practices already have their preferred method.
  • Options

It doesn't look that different from the normal plasti-bell.  Both use a ring around the glans, however, the plasti-bell falls off on it's own in 5-7 days instead of needing to be removed.

After assisting w/ countless circs while working in peds my favorite method is the Mogan clamp.  We only had one dr in the practice out of 8 who used the Mogan clamp but I liked how much faster it was and the fact that there's no "parts" to worry about falling off or removing.  I'm not sure if this dr. used this method because he was Jewish or if it was just his preferred method. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

sorry but i'm not seeing much of an advantage to using the taraklamp.  it actually looks worse to me than some of the other methods that i'm used to. 

i agree with pp about the Mogan clamp, we had a back up OB that we worked with and he used that method.  i liked it a lot. 

• Options
    All I have to say is what's with the smooth jazz Kenny G playing in the background during removal?
  • Options
    Don't really see the advantage in a newborn you would still have to seperated the adhesions.... I have never seen this or heard of it but could see it's utility for adults.  I'll stick to doing Mogan's and Gomco's for newborns.
    5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"