Eco-Friendly Family
Options

An honest question - not trying to be snarky - about no Pooing

So, what are the benefits of not shampooing your hair - if even using an all natural shampoo bar made by someone at home?  

I've just seen a lot of posts lately about it and want to get y'all's perspectives...

Thanks! :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: An honest question - not trying to be snarky - about no Pooing

• Options

It's still washing and cleaning your hair (at least the way I do it)...just not with nasty SLS's that are a health hazard. The "natural shampoos" just left my hair greasy the next day, so that wasn't an option either...and I got tired of buying expensive bottles and hating them after a few showers.

The extra bonus of baking soda is that eventually you don't have to wash your hair as much to still feel clean and non-greasy even after a few days. Though it does take extra elbow grease imo. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ditto pp.

I live by a philosophy that the body knows how to handle itself. If you don't put a bunch of chemicals into it/on it, your body doesn't have to work so hard to rebalance. No-poo or gentle shampoo bars clean a bit without screwing up the ph of your skin/scalp.

Diet has a lot to do with how your hair and scalp will react, too. If you're eating junk or processed food, for example, a baking soda scrub isn't going to help in the shiny hair department ;)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know that for me it beats a natural shampoo - although I do love the $$ savings.  I love Alba shampoo, but at 7-10 $ a bottle, baking soda is tons cheaper.  (that said, I'm currently using the Alba)
  • Options

1) Cheap! Can't beat the price of baking soda and vinegar!

2) No toxins

3) Better for your hair. Your hair will produce it's oils at the rate it should and your hair will be softer/nicer.

4) Less washing needed. As your hair gets back to it's proper oil levels you don't need to wash as often (a total plus if you have a baby :)

5) "greener" there's nothing bad for the environment in b/s or vinegar. :) 

Brittany: mommy to Logan 06/06, Ransom 07/07, Everly 11/10 and another girl due 11/17/12 image
  • Options

I have fine curly hair, and have found that my hair is SO much nicer when I'm not using shampoos and silicone-laced hair products that claim to control the frizz. I wash with BS and rinse with ACV, and sometimes use a little coconut oil or flaxseed gel to style. My hair feels and looks healthier!

I don't have a lot of experience with shampoo bars, and the cost is a big deterrent for me. 

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I like the baking soda method with acv rinse because it costs less and is more effective than natural shampoo bars.  I agree with pp that shampoo bars made my hair very greasy the next day and seemed to coat my brushes with oil or residue.  I like that the no poo method makes my hair shiny and bouncy.  My hair color seems richer too.  Plus, I don't have to wash my hair as often and I was able to toss out many styling products that contain nasty chemicals.  The only downside is that  when I do wash my hair, it's a longer process, but the results are worth it.

It's definitely not for everyone, and there is a period of a few days to a few weeks where your scalp has to adjust to the lack of harsh chemicals stripping oil from your hair.  The first two weeks, my fine and normally oily hair was VERY oily and I was wearing a ponytail every day while my scalp adjusted. 

• Options

Okay, I understand all of your reasonings!  :)  However, my the bars I'm using aren't leaving my hair oily (the next day - or even the following day) or dry.  So, I'm in a bit of a quandary as to whether or not to try the no poo method.

• Options

I'd say if the shampoo bars you're using are working for you, keep using the bars, but if you're curious about no poo method and have baking soda on hand, give it a try. Big Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"