Eco-Friendly Family

Recommend your non-plastic kid dishes

I only have so much Pyrex-type stuff to go around and B has broken two bowls in the past two days that weren't kid-proof.

Re: Recommend your non-plastic kid dishes

• I tend to heaton our corelle saucers/cups and either give her those or transfer it onto wooden appetizer plates that I got from Crate & Barrel. I use little glass baby food jars as her glasses (yeah, we've broken a few cleaning them). You can always find corelle used at thrift stores...I know it's not designer, but it's reuse, stacks well and is sturdy.

I also use little custard dishes for serving...since they are study and have higher sides.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My aunt found us some awesome custard bowls from a cafeteria that was going out of business.  They're nice and thick and AWESOME!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I just use Corelle plates.  They're pretty sturdy but wood might be a good alternative.  I believe Munchkin makes a wooden bowl and plate.

I used to have a stainless plate set bookmarked but now I can't find it.  That would be another option but both are a little spendy.  I was happy when I realized Evan wasn't a plate thrower and could just use a regular plate :)

Couple stainless options here:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_gnr_fkmr0?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abamboo+plate&keywords=bamboo+plate&ie=UTF8&qid=1317342511#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=stainless+plate&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Astainless+plate

Big E (6) & Little E (2.5)
  • I have 8" divided and flat plates. LOVE THEM!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have corelle dishes too.  It is our every day dishes, and I have dropped them several times (once still hot out of the dishwasher on to tile floor), so I figure they are kid-proof enough and never bothered with specific kid dishes.
  • I use corelle from Kmart for ds, its unbreakable and I consider it safe to microwave. I like it because they sell it open stock so you don't have to buy a whole set of dishes. I bought 2 little salad plates that are a good size for a toddler (and we use plastic plates for him too.)
    Married June '03. DS born Jan '09. DD born Feb '12. No, we didn't choose to be childless for the first 6 years, only the first 3.
  • I second stainless steel dishes. They are non-breakable, dishwasher and soap friendly. I dOnt think you can use soap win wooden bowls - the wood absorbs the soap resulting in giving your hot foods a slight soapy tang. :-) Also you can get matching stainless steel glasses too.
  • Corelle. It's our every day dishes (plain white) and they also make some divided plates with a raised lip around the sides and 3 separate areas so foods don't touch. The lip makes it easier for them to get stuff on the spoon too.

We bought 2 sets at walmart and then got the divided plates and some little bowls at the outlet mall.

- Jena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"