2nd Trimester

How many people are you inviting to your baby shower?

Thinking of the guest list and cant decide if I should go small or big! If I go small its pretty much all close friends and family and big means that half the people I dont speak too on a regular basis. Also, debating on if I should have a traditional with girls only or boy's and girls..... What are you deciding on and how many are you inviting?

Re: How many people are you inviting to your baby shower?

• I honestly think its bad to invite people you don't talk to on a regular basis.  I think that because baby showers are a gift giving event, only the people who are close to you would like to purchase gifts for you and your baby.  I am only inviting close family and friends (those who will be a part of the babies life regularly).  I have a list of about  25 people but my shower is going to be coed.  We have a lot of friends that are couples and want to include the boys in this event too with some fun coed games.  Coed is modern for baby showers right now, and I do think that if you have some really fun games the boys will have fun!!!   My hubby wants to be a part of EVERYTHING so this is a great way to include him in the shower.  I honestly think that the smaller the shower the more fun the party!  Plus you will be more comfortable having close relatives and friends rather than people you don't see very often.  Having babies is an intimate part of life and I only want the people closest to me to be there for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I understand and I am thinking the same thing, not sure if I will do coed just bc my husband is in the military and is only getting leave the week of christmas and it seems a little odd to have a shower the week of christmas... lol thanks for the insight.
  • Loading the player...
  • ~60 people but that's both sides of mine and dh's families.
  • My shower is going to be big, but not by choice! My DH comes from a really big family. I am going to have 20+ people that are just his family. Then we you add in my family, close friends and co-workers...it is close to 50 people. I am not sure how we are going to afford all the food or where we are going to hold it. Joys of a big family...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecorbinsmine:
    I understand and I am thinking the same thing, not sure if I will do coed just bc my husband is in the military and is only getting leave the week of christmas and it seems a little odd to have a shower the week of christmas... lol thanks for the insight.

What you decide will be perfect for you!  If your husband wants to be there and christmas is the only time you have for a coed party, you can combine the holiday season with the baby shower event.  Some guys really don't care to be there, so if he doesn't really care either way, you may just do a girls only shower and do a smaller party.  Also, I find that events around the holidays makes it hard for us financially since we have a big family and its hard to buy everyone a nice gift.  It may be hard for your guests to come up with extra cash for a baby shower around the holidays.  I am due in March and I am hoping to have a baby shower after the holiday season and most likely around the end of February or early March.  I am not expecting friends to spend a fortune at all, but I do want to make sure they aren't having to pinch pennies around the holidays to make it to the baby shower.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My MIL asked us what friends we wanted to invite.  DH and I (for any party) only invite people we speak to on a regular basis, so that's all I gave her.She was kinda shocked that it was only about 5 couples.  But, honestly, I hate getting invited to showers when I barely know the person.  I feel awkward.  What makes it even more odd it that I never see the kid until the first birthday. Anyways, she's inviting the rest (which is pretty much just local family). So it'll be about 30 people total invited.

My mother asked the same, the only difference there is, my family is HU-UGE! So that one will be bigger.  Ha, even if I could there is no way that one would end up small!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For things like showers, if you don't talk to someone regularly then I probably wouldn't include them.  To me, it kind of sends the message "Hey, I don't normally talk to you because it's not worth my time to reach out, but I'm having this party and want some gifts, so wanna come?"  - this is a little exaggerated, but a little on point. 

We started with the family list: mothers, siblings, aunts, cousins (that are local and that we are in touch with).  Then I looked at the friends who I see and talk to most often.  It is a small group of about 8 people.  Our total invite list is about 28-30 people.  

We also decided against a co-ed shower.   The men in our family wouldn't be all that interested in attending and I really wanted an afternoon tea!  So, we are having only girls/ladies. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• Apparently my shower is going to be HUGE!  My mom asked me to make up a list of family and friends from my side and DH's side.  There are about 100 ppl on the list..including me, mom, sister, and MIL.  BUT...I literally have a GIGANTIC family that I see / talk to on a regular basis.  The family list is 85 people, that's both mine and DH's.  The friends list of about 20 also includes some of my close co-workers. 

I asked her if there was anyone from the list that we could cut b/c it seems like such a large amount of people, but she said no, it would be rude to cut people that we see all the time.

How big is your family (and DH's), and are you only having one or more than one shower?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I guess I am just going to count myself lucky -- I think right now there are four showers planned by different groups... one smaller (<25 people) for immediate family and friends, one that my sorority is planning which could be OUTRAGEOUS (100+), one thrown by my coworkers (also small), and one medium shower (<50) thrown by my partner's coworkers. I think it's going to be coed, but I think that mostly women will come. 
    + OPK July 6, 2011 IUI with anonymous donor sperm July 7, 2011 BFP July 21, 2011 Baby Girl Harper born via emergency C-section 3/22/12!
  • imagebetsykerry1:
    I guess I am just going to count myself lucky -- I think right now there are four showers planned by different groups... one smaller (<25 people) for immediate family and friends, one that my sorority is planning which could be OUTRAGEOUS (100+), one thrown by my coworkers (also small), and one medium shower (<50) thrown by my partner's coworkers. I think it's going to be coed, but I think that mostly women will come. 

Wow! you are a lucky lady!

• I will be having 2 showers. 

One for family/friends and one for co-workers.  About 50 people invited to each, Obviously they will not all be attending. To me...the more the merrier.  If people don't want to come they can RSVP that they will not be attending. 

For the co-worker shower, I couldn't invite only certain women co-workers (even though I don't get along with one of them majorly!)  So every female I work with is invited.  I'm praying to god the evil one doesn't show!  She is a supervisor at work so I couldn't not inlude just her.    

BabyFruit Ticker Graphics
  • I would probably say go big on the invites because lots of people won't come anyways. But at least it gives them the option instead of you forgeting to invite someone and their feelings getting hurt.
  • I'm having two family showers - my side with about 25 people and DH's side with 30 people.  Plus, DH's work always does HH's for weddings/new baby's, so there will be something there and some of my co-workers are talking about throwing something for me at work.

• I feel for you! Both sides of my family as WELL as both sides of my husband's family are huge. I have 105 on my invite list and only 20 of those are friends...the rest is aunts and first cousins!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"