School-Aged Children
Options

XP-When you were a tween/teen how mad

Did you get at your parents?

Like did you get angry with them to the point where you would say that you would stab them, not to them but thought it to yourself or said it to yourself out loud.

My DD sees a psychiatrist for ADD meds (short med appts) and doesn't currently go to therapy. Her psychiatrist suggested we put her into therapy to help her deal with anxiety issues and she agreed to try it out. She  has an appt with her therapist on the 20th.

I am not sure if last nights episode warrants an immediate call to the psychiatrist or not. Her bio father has mental issues and I think she may have some of those also, but then again I don't have a PHD.

Our encounters with her tend to be negative because her ADD is so bad and when she is home we try not to medicate her (she is off school all week). I think not medicating her may be making it worse. Raising teens is not easy, ugh.

Thanks.

Re: XP-When you were a tween/teen how mad

• Options
    If mental illness runs in the family there might be more going on than just ADD and her not being medicated all the time might throw her internal chemical balance/hormones off and cause her to act out.  This is definitely something you want to address with an MD, either a psychiatrist or whomever prescribes her the meds.  You definitely don't want to wait until it's too late and she hurts herself or someone else in one of her anger fits. 
  • Options
    I could get crazy pissed at my parents.  Lots of yelling, screaming, and "you just don't understands."  But, I never swore at them or threatened them.  i think it's pretty common for depression to go hand in hand with ADHD, so some therapy probably isn't a bad idea. Also, I think that kids with ADHD have trouble expressing themselves well.  It's just not second nature for some of them and they need to learn how to do it the right way.  Life is frustrating for them, too.  Her psychiatrist might be able to augment her meds to help with this, as well. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

"Like did you get angry with them to the point where you would say that you would stab them, not to them but thought it to yourself or said it to yourself out loud."

When I was ten years old, I wrote a diary entry how about if I had magic, I would take over the world and my first order of business would be to have my mom executed.  I wish death on her pretty much every day for about ten years growing up.  I never threatened her out loud or told her any of this, I just didn't talk to her at all really.

Of course, I was then diagnosed with borderline personality disorder as a teenager, so my answer might skew the results a little, haha.

My mom and I are pretty much best friends now that I'm 30.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I grew up with an alcoholic father who was often frighteningly angry.

As a tween, I often fantasized about escaping the situation.  On more than one occasion I wished my mom would divorce him.  As I got older, I fantasized about standing up to him or yelling back at him.  Mostly, my thoughts about the situation ran along the lines of "This isn't fair!"

But I never thought about physically hurting him or myself.  

I agree with PPs that -- especially considering that her dad has mental illness -- your DD should be checked out by someone who can sort out what's really going on with her.  Threats of this type are not something to take lightly or to blame on the existing ADD diagnosis.  

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"