Natural Birth
Options

Baby is rather large!

I had another ultrasound today (growth scan because of MTHFR and making sure blood flow is looking good) and the baby is between the 82nd and 92 percentiles (depending on which computer they used) and 5 lbs. 9 oz. and 5 lbs. 12 oz.  I'm in the process of searching for percentile charts to see where those percentiles put the baby at birth.  DS was 8 lbs. 3 oz. at 39w1d.  I'm having a VBAC and JUST switched to a midwife this week.  My doctor had been telling me that if it seems like "we're looking at a 9 lb. baby," she wouldn't recommend a VBAC.  I'm curious to see what the midwives have to say.  I still want to try to labor, but definitely want to do some research on VBACs of big babies.  I've been doing hypnobirthing, but I have to say that I am having some doubts at the moment.  I need to really dive into the book and finish it to inspire myself a bit more.  I was definitely a little thrown off today because I had an ultrasound 4 weeks ago and was told the baby was 3 lbs. 1 oz. and in the 57th percentile.  Apparently, when they put the info into a different computer system, it said 82nd percentile.  I'm not quite sure why they'd be using equipment that differs so much...

Anyone else having a biiiiig baby?  Have you come across any inspirational birth stories about particularly big babies?

Baby Boy #1 born on 3/21/08 
BFP 8/2/10 (3w5d); No more heartbeat on 8/30/10 (7w4d); D&C on 9/2/10 (8w) - Baby Boy with Triploidy
BFP 12/3/10 (4w2d); Natural miscarriage 12/12/10 (5w4d) - Unknown cause
Diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
BFP 3/9/11; Baby Boy #2 born on 11/7/11
Currently TTC Baby #3

Re: Baby is rather large!

• Options

I also have MTHFR (just discovered) and had DS vaginally, no meds, and he was 9 pounds 8 ounces. I know I've read plenty of birth stories where a mom vbac'ed a baby larger than her first with no issues. It's important to remember that every birth is different and to stay positive that you can do it.

That said, those estimates can be up to 5 pounds off, according to Ina May- have you read her book? So I'd not let a guess worry you too much. I know of a woman on this board (not a vbac though?) who birthed an 11-pounder in her bathtub. I'd suggest researching how to make birth easier just in case the baby is large or positioned awkwardly- stay upright, move a LOT, walk, push in a gravity-friendly position, etc... and stay positive! :) GL and also I'd suggest the vbac board for more insight and personal stories.

Oh, and my FIL was 11 pounds when he was born and his mom did it vaginally.

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Options
    DS was 7.1 lbs at 36w6d and was born 9.6 lbs at 40w5d
    Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Sizing ultrasounds can be very off, so I wouldn't give them too much stock. My friend was induced at 41 weeks because her baby was "getting too big for her to push out." Her daughter was was 6lb 8oz at birth, and mom had an IV which inflates the birth weight some. If you'd like some stories of other women who had their sizing ultrasounds off, including some vbacs, check out the comments here

https://myobsaidwhat.com/2011/09/21/your-baby-is-almost-9-lbs-we-have-to-incude-already/

YOU CAN DO IT! :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I was told all through this last pregnancy that I was going to have a very very large baby. He was measuring in the 98th percentile for much of my pregnancy. I had no reason to doubt the docs and ultrasound techs, as my first baby was 10lbs 6 oz and my second was a full 11 lbs. So imagine my shock when my third baby was a "whopping" 7lbs 13 oz. Yes, that same baby that they kept telling me was "just massive". Don't buy it, sweetie. It's all guess work in a white lab coat (to steal a quote from my FIL the surgeon)!

• Options
    My DD was 9lbs 2oz (not a VBAC but natural). I have seen many women post on here about giving birth to large babies VBAC. Also keep in mind like PPs said ultrasounds can be way off on weight. I watched "A Baby Story" once where a lady had a scheduled c-section because her OB recommended it since she was going to have a "very large baby", turned out the baby was just barely 7lbs. I felt so bad for the lady for blinding following her doctor. If you do not have GD it is very unlikely that your body with grow a baby that is too large for you to birth vaginally. 
  • Options

See Corbin30's post above.  Jesus, why do the even bother doing these ultrasounds?  What possible purpose do they serve?

My kids were not that big: 8lbs8oz each.  My SIL had 8, 9, 10+ lb babies all natural.  I know several women who have successfully delivered 10+lb babies med free.

Why all the damn ultrasounds?

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options

It is actually VERY rare for a baby to be too big to fit.  Most likely you are not one of those rare candidates.

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options
    My DS was 10lbs 6 oz, and I had a fabulous unmedicated birth. He was my 1st, so not a VBAC, but giving birth to a BIG baby is absolutely something your body is capable of :) Good luck!
  • Options
    My sister successfully had her 2nd baby med-free using hypnobirthing (VBAC), and he was 9lbs, 10 oz.  It was a wonderful experience.  She's now pregnant with her third, and plans to do it natural again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

During my entire pregnancy they told me DS's head size was >95th percentile and I was terrified I wouldn't be able to get him through my hips and out naturally.... It took a little longer for him to crown but I delivered him naturally, with only one small tear on my labia. Plus at 38 weeks they estimated he weighed 7 lb 10 oz, and eight days later I delivered a 7 lb 5 oz baby... so don't let them freak you out too much!

And I used a midwife as well and they tend to be very supportive. When I told them about my fears of baby not fitting through the birth canal, they told me if your contractions are good and baby is in a good position you can push out anything! Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him." x 2

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"