May 2011 Moms

Sleep Training Book Rec.

I'd love your recommendation(s) for a sleep training book.  Specifically, these are the questions I need addressed:

-How much sleep does my baby need (a little over 4 months old) and when?

-Where should he nap (crib, swing)?  And under what conditions (same as nighttime, i.e., dark room)?

And if there is an answer...why does he wake up so frequently (sometimes every half hour or less!) in the middle of the night??  We check everything (diaper, feeding, room temp., etc.) to make sure he is comfortable.  Do some babies (like adults) just wake up more frequently than others?  If so, does he just need practice at putting himself back to sleep?

Most importantly, I will definitely do what I feel is best for my son in the end.  I just need some basic recommendations to start with because in the last month his nighttime sleeping has been so poor, and I really want him to be more well rested.  Thanks so much!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sleep Training Book Rec.

• I highly recommend The Baby Whisperer.

A lot of babies wake up at the end of a sleep cycle and don't know how to put themselves back to sleep. In fact, adults do the same thing. We'll roll over or glance at a clock, but then quickly fall back asleep and never even remember we were awake. There are specific techniques in the book for teaching your child how to put himself back to sleep.

• Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems by Ferber. It has a chart with how much sleep your baby needs, even splitting it into day and night sleep. At this age it's around 12 hours, with 9 of them being night sleep. 

I don't know why he wakes up so much at night...4 month wakeful? We went through that for a couple weeks but the last few nights he has been sleeping pretty well and only waking up once to eat.  

The book addresses helping your child develop the proper sleep associations, basically that they should fall asleep under the same conditions that will be there when they wake up in the middle of night, and yes sometimes that takes a little bit of practice for them. It also has a lot of good information about identifying your child's "sleep phase" which was very eye opening for me. 

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for posting this -- I am going to check all of these out at the Library this weekend :)
  • If you can get The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems that would be my #1 recommendation outside of Ferber's book.

• I HIGHLY recommend The Sleepeasy Solution.  My first son was a very challenging sleeper and this book gave me the confidence and detailed help I needed to get him on a great schedule that resulted in both of us being MUCH less exhausted and happier.  He was doing a lot of "habitual night waking" as well- and the methods in this book helped so much.  Most of all, the authors are clinical social workers and are very empathetic about how hard it is to be an exhausted parent and how much harder it is to listen to your baby cry.  It is a cry it out method, but with their firm plan and supportive words,  you can do it!  I never thought I would be in the CIO school, but after reading over five sleep books and trying all kinds of things, I knew that my son needed to learn how to fall asleep all by himself- and he did it!  It didn't take long!  We just started with #2 and he is doing great!  Good luck.  Sleep training is soooooo hard, but soooooo worth it in the end! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekewltif:

I highly recommend The Baby Whisperer.

A lot of babies wake up at the end of a sleep cycle and don't know how to put themselves back to sleep. In fact, adults do the same thing. We'll roll over or glance at a clock, but then quickly fall back asleep and never even remember we were awake. There are specific techniques in the book for teaching your child how to put himself back to sleep.

I have read a ton of sleep training books and Baby Whisperer is by far my favorite.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for all of the great recommendations!  I have a lot of reading to do this weekend :)  
  • Secrets of the Baby Whisperer is good, and Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child is just excellent. It really helped me understand her better..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"