1st Trimester

Anyone else afraid to get excited?

First of all a big hello to everyone on the board!

I just found out I'm pregnant on Monday and am totally thrilled as is my husband. I'm also afraid to BE thrilled because of the miscarriage risk. This is my first pregnancy and actually I got pregnant the very first month we didn't prevent pregnancy. So it happened really quickly for me.

But,  I'm just nervous over the prospect of miscarriage. I wish it wasn't so common. :( I feel like it's this black cloud that hangs over you for 13 weeks or so.

Oh well I'll try to think positively! I go in for blood work tomorrow since I don't have a thyroid and take oral meds to keep it in line. Apparently that makes you sorta high risk.

Congrats to all the expectant mommies out there!

BFP#1 10.03.11| Chemical Pregnancy 10.11.11.
BFP#2 11.13.11| diag@13wks T21/Cystic Hygroma/Hydrops | D&C 1.24.12
BFP#3 12.13.12| HR 174 | Materni21 - All Chromosomes Normal! | EDD 8.25.13
BabyFruit Ticker image image

Re: Anyone else afraid to get excited?

• I feel the same exact way! I'm afraid to be too excited or to buy baby things yet or to tell too many people. I just keep thinking in the back of my head that I could miscarry. I cannot wait until after the first trimester. Hopefully some of my worries will go away. On the other hand I am a bit of a hypochondriac, so maybe the worries won't go away. I just hope I can keep my sanity throughout the pregnancy!
  • I'm right there with you. I have had 2 m/c & right now I am 6w3d. Our 1st US is this Monday & I am really nervous that there will be no heartbeat but I am trying to keep positive. Ugh - it is all so nerve-wracking.

Lots of luck to you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

~*~ Our IF Journey~*~
    TTC for 5+ years
    2/09 - TI = BFP * 3/09 - M/C with D&C * 8/09 - C/P
    Jan - July '10 - Clomid/Follistim + IUI = all BFN
    Aug - IVF #1 - 3 embies transferred = BFN
    Mar - IVF #2 - 2 embies transferred & 4 frosties = BFN
    June - FET #1 * 2 embies transferred = BFP (C/P @ 5w4d)
    Sept - FET #2 * 2 embies transferred = BFP
    Nov - M/C & D&C at 10 weeks
    May - surprise BFP with no medical intervention
    Sept - 20 week US showed we're having a BOY!
    ~*~ EDD: 2/4/13 ~*~

*My IF Blog*

Our Bulldogs - Bubba & Millie
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • yes! im still afraid to get excited, but keep your head up and think positive thoughts!
  • I know what you mean exactly!  I just had the same talk with my DH last night.  We both decided whatever happens happens and there is literally nothing we can do.
    Photobucket Photobucket
  • I was the same way & still am to some degree.  The past week or so, I've started to feel a little more confident.  I've now had two u/s and had beating heart & on track growth, so I'm optimistic.  Hang in there.  Just take it one day at a time.
    Blessed to be married to my best friend & so in love with our little man!!
    Mason Robert born 4/26/2012

Me:  31   DH:  35
    Unexplained Secondary Infertility
    TTC#2 since Spring 2014
    Clomid 50mg BFP 8/27/15, chemical pregnancy 8/30/15
    Clomid 100mg IUI #1 10/12/15....BFN.
    TTC Break until January 2016.

• I'm definitely nervous, but way excited!  I look at it like this, I love this baby no matter what.  This is the same way I love the one we lost.  The only difference it makes to me is that I know I'm not doing anything to risk this pregnancy.  Give it some time, but enjoy the time you have (because it will be the second trimester before you know it)!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • i was afraid to get excited until after my first ultrasound. then i felt 10x better! hang in there!
    TTC#2: 8/17/14 // BFP: 9/5/14

TTC#1: 7/30/11 // BFP: 8/22/11
    DS: Carson Robert 4/29/12

• imagetheresat858:

I also do not have a thyroid anymore (I did with my last pregnancy; that had nothing to do with my m/c).  If you are interested, the ATA recently released new guidelines for the management of thyroid disease during pregnancy, including how to treat patients who have no thyroid.  (I'm a big dork and read as much as I can).  The guidelines recommend getting your TSH checked every 4 weeks (not the usual 6-8) in order to ensure your meds can be adjusted as needed.  It is also better for pregnancy to be slightly hyper than slightly hypo (although ideal, of course, is right in the middle). A TSH level of 0.2 won't hurt the baby, but a TSH level of 3 or more could. 

My OB is the one who found my thyroid cancer, and he was very reassuring about a normal pregnancy without a thyroid being possible.  Several women in the online Thyca group have had successful pregnancies without a thyroid.  It just requires a few more pricks in the arm than we're used to :-)

Thanks so much for the info! I would love any that you have. I've been trying to research it like crazy on the internet but there doesn't seem to be a lot out there that I can find. Thanks for the insight about having your levels checked every 4 weeks. That was the one thing I was most curious about.

I was a bit annoyed at my OB when I first called to make an appt. I stopped seeing my Endo. doctor 2 years ago because my levels have been normal for years and my family doctor can easily do the yearly blood tests and adjust the meds if needed. However, the one thing my Endo always drilled into me is that as soon as I got that positive test I needed to contact my doctor immediately.

So when I called my OB to make an appt...of course they were like "well you don't need to be seen until 6-8 weeks. And I had to argue with the nurse to get her to understand all I needed was a thyroid test (since I'm coming up on my yearly check anyway). I get that there's not a lot you can do Ultrasound wise at 5 weeks, ect. and that's not at all what I was asking for. She got kind of snotty with me and went to ask the doctor while I held. And of course I was right and the doctor told me yes, I need to come in asap to get my levels checked.

I adore my doctor but her office staff about put me over the edge this go around. I understand it to a point, since I'm sure they are used to dealing with all of us first time moms who are anxious to be seen ASAP but it was definitely annoying to have them brush me off when my issue was valid. Glad the doctor backed me up! 

BFP#1 10.03.11| Chemical Pregnancy 10.11.11.
    BFP#2 11.13.11| diag@13wks T21/Cystic Hygroma/Hydrops | D&C 1.24.12
    BFP#3 12.13.12| HR 174 | Materni21 - All Chromosomes Normal! | EDD 8.25.13
    BabyFruit Ticker image image
  • yup, even though I've seen my baked bean's heartbeat I'm still terrified. I lost one in June and I'm pretty sure that always makes the anxiety worse.
    Eleanor Gwendolyn
  • Very hesitant to get excited.  It feels like FOREVER until our 12 wk u/s around Thanksgiving.  In the back of my mind I think of a lavish vacation we would take if we had a miscarriage and had to wait a few months before trying again.  This seems to be a small silver lining, as we got pregnant so quickly that's one of the ideas I've been adjusting to; the fact that planning big trips (we love to travel) is over for a long time.
  • I feel the same... totally nerve wracking! This is our first too and we got pregnant within 4 months of trying, no m/c. I have my first appt. Wednesday and an U/S. I'm hoping seeing the baby will put my worries at ease just a little bit. It's been hard because I had just a few short bouts of morning sickness and now I feel good. I feel like I feel TOO good, if that makes any sense. I'm looking forward to 2nd trimester and hopefully a little more peace!
    image Photobucket image BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"