2nd Trimester

plus size w/ trouble seeing baby in ultrasound

I am absolutley devastated and needed to share.  I have gone for 2 ultrasounds, at 18 and then 20 weeks for fetal survey.  The ultrasound tech told me she was unable to see everything to get good measurements.  I am 5'7 and weigh about 285lb.  I was concerned and called the doctor and she told me it was because of maternal size!  I hung up the phone and started to cry.  As far as I know nothing is wrong with the baby, but because I am carrying extra weight they can't see what they need to see.  I don't know how to make myself feel better, its like I'm a failure already at being a parent because I can't even take care of myself.......I guess I need a little advice and reassurance.  Wow, I sound pathetic!!
IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: plus size w/ trouble seeing baby in ultrasound

• imagekarma7997:
    I am absolutley devastated and needed to share.  I have gone for 2 ultrasounds, at 18 and then 20 weeks for fetal survey.  The ultrasound tech told me she was unable to see everything to get good measurements.  I am 5'7 and weigh about 285lb.  I was concerned and called the doctor and she told me it was because of maternal size!  I hung up the phone and started to cry.  As far as I know nothing is wrong with the baby, but because I am carrying extra weight they can't see what they need to see.  I don't know how to make myself feel better, its like I'm a failure already at being a parent because I can't even take care of myself.......I guess I need a little advice and reassurance.  Wow, I sound pathetic!!

F******************ck THEM!  Seriously.  Women WAY larger than you have healthy babies and awesome pregnancies.  Being heavy does NOT equal unhealthy.  And get a new doctor.  )#&*$E(#$&(*#$W)*(*@#)@*!!  Sorry, I'm so offended for you.  It's ok sweetie, I'm sure all is fine. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am so sorry you had to hear that! However I am 5'8 300lbs and never had a problem, so maybe they have a bad machine. They always find the hb and baby right away. Hope you feel better!

• Loading the player...
  • That's ridiculous! My sister is 5'5" and weighs 280-ish, and they could see the baby just fine at 11 weeks, and fine every ultrasound after that!! They must have a bad machine or be doing something wrong. Don't worry, your baby will be fine!! That's so stupid of them, I'm sorry!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelnyost:

imagekarma7997:

F******************ck THEM!  Seriously.  Women WAY larger than you have healthy babies and awesome pregnancies.  Being heavy does NOT equal unhealthy.  And get a new doctor.  )#&*$E(#$&(*#$W)*(*@#)@*!!  Sorry, I'm so offended for you.  It's ok sweetie, I'm sure all is fine. 

Chillax!  Seriously, she said the doctor said that it was because of "maternal size"... that is NOT offensive.  Holy crap, calm down.

Rylee - 3.28.08
    Malakai - 8.3.09
    Ezra - 12.1.11 ASD
  • I can understand your disappointment, it's not pathetic. You are not a failure in the least.  Failure would be to take this situation and let it stop you from doing what you need to do to make sure you are healthy and there for your baby from now on. 

Whether you have a condition that makes it harder for you to maintain a more healthy weight or not, please know that you are not alone and you don't have to do this alone.   

Edit:  Physicians are often blunt because often patients don't listen to subtle hints.  When something bad results of their tip toe-ing around the subject the physician gets blamed (and can be liable) because "They never told me that!!"

In this case, I would rather know that they can pin point the cause of the issue than be worried that there is something else going on to cause it that they can't find. 

• I am so sorry you feel this way, you are NOT failing as a mother. You love your child and are getting the prenatal care. That makes you a wondeful mother. Maybe they just have a bad machine. I would however, maybe get another OB and ask what they think.....

Good luck

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelnyost:

imagekarma7997:

The doctor didn't say the baby was unhealthy because of her weight, just that they couldn't see things properly on the ultrasound.

OP, Don't feel like a failure--you're not!  I'm sure everything is healthy and fine.  Since others on here know of women who are plus size and have successful ultrasounds, I'd mention that to the doctor and see if he/she has recommendations for places with better machines, or I'd pay to go to one of those independent places where you can do them for like, $200 a pop.  

Good luck to you!  Remember, most women in the world do not have ultrasounds.  You have prenatal care, etc. so you're already ahead of many and I'm sure things are fine.

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• agreed.  The doc gave an honest answer about the reason they were unable to do a full scan of the baby. Take the emotion that you are feeling right now and use it as fuel and motivation toward making healthier lifestyle choices.  That is the absolute BEST thing you can do for your child, which is ultimately what you want.
  • I am very sorry to hear you had to go through this! I am 5'5 and weigh 280lbs. When I went to my ultrsound at 20 weeks they were unable to see the baby's stomach and heart good cause of my weight. They sent me to a place with a better machine and right away they saw all they needed too. Its probably just a case of needing better machinery. You are a great mom for going to the drs and getting the care your baby and you need :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagewychets:

I am so sorry you had to hear that! However I am 5'8 300lbs and never had a problem, so maybe they have a bad machine. They always find the hb and baby right away. Hope you feel better!

Yes, I was going to say, I know women who are bigger than that and had no problem seeing the baby at an u/s.  I agree, maybe they need a new machine!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It's a GIRL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with PP's that it's probably just crappy equipment. I am a bigger girl (5'10" and 235 pre-pregnancy) and have perfect, crystal clear images from my ultrasounds.

You are not a failure, there is NOTHING out there that says plus size women can't have perfectly normal and healthy pregnancies and babies. Keep your head up, and talk to your doctor (or maybe go to another practice) about getting access to a better machine to make certain your precious LO is growing normally. You deserve to have peace of mind just like anyone else.

Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am 5'5" and weighed 150 lbs at my first appointment.  The tech couldn't find the heartbeat and said that's because it might be due to the layer of fat I have! 

This made me feel completely awful.  The bottom line is, it's hard not knowing all the time how the baby is doing. 

• We are very close in weight but I'm only 5'2! I'm also high risk and have had 7 u/s so far, including my a/s just last wk and the techs have ALWAYS been able to see my baby since I was 5wks along. At my last u/s, the tech said that she couldn't really couldn't chart LO's entire heart and my MFS came in and repeated that part of the a/s and he couldn't quite see everything either. He said that my LO just wasn't in the best position and I asked him point blank if my weight had anything to do w/it and he said not really since there hasn't been an issue before. I will say that b/c of my size, the techs explained that they may have to press down a bit more than usual to get a good scan, but I never found it too uncomfortable. In your situation, I'm willing to bet that they either had a crappy/old machine or that your tech wasn't patient or experienced enough to scan you correctly. Frankly, I think your dr was very insensitive and honestly, you should look for another dr asap! As a plus size MTB, you already have enough insecurities and fears, so you really need to find a dr who not only understands that, but is sensitive to those issues as well. You are already a great mom b/c you are taking care of your LO by going to the dr, so pls don't doubt yourself. You are so not alone in this! Trust me, if you make it a point, you will find a better dr.

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am joining the other girls in saying they have a crappy u/s machine. 

I too am plus size and carry a lot of my weight in my belly.  I've had 4 u/s -two transvag and 2 external- and they never had any problems seeing anything (unless LO wasn't cooperating).  

If I were you I'd do two things. 1) Check out an outside u/s place that will probably have a better machine.  2) Use these unfortunate comments from you u/s tech and doctor to motivate yourself to be a bit healthier now and after your baby comes.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Ummmm...I am not far away from you in either height or weight and my doctor has absolutely NEVER had an issue with seeing the baby due to "maternal size". They had issues checking out my daughter because she wouldn't stay still but never anything like this. Any good ob should never say anything like this. You are a paying customer who deserves to be treated better than this. This is their issue, not yours. I am so sorry that you have to deal with such nonsense.
    Lydia Eloise (5/25/10)
    Nora Annabelle (2/14/12)
    M/C 6.5 weeks (1/29/14) EDD (9/21/14)
  • I agree with the F**K them attitude. i'm 5'3" and 225. My OB has not once mentioned my weight being an issue. I eat good foods, I get exercise, my labs are spot on and I feel good. My partner and I used IUI to get pregnant with an anonymous donor and I conceived on the first try. My OB has done all my ultrasounds and has had no problem seeing anything... I'd go get myself a new doc if I were you. You shouldn't be made to feel badly because you're overweight. 
    + OPK July 6, 2011 IUI with anonymous donor sperm July 7, 2011 BFP July 21, 2011 Baby Girl Harper born via emergency C-section 3/22/12!
  • I would speak to your doctor and ask what he recommends for further monitoring.  I see nothing your doc did that would spark the "get rid of him" comments.  You asked what the issue was and he told you.  You also can't take the experiences of others as evidence of what should happen.  How you carry your weight and position of your uterus affect the ability to do a scan, not just the quality of the machine.  Would you prefer he lied to you?  Many obese women deliver healthy babies, this is true, but it would be incorrect for one to say that at a BMI of 44 you are just as healthy and have less complications then if you were at 25.  I think patients deserve to hear the truth, even if it can sometimes be painful.  This doesn't make a doctor bad.  Your weight doesn't mean you are a bad person or mother and that's not what was said to you.
  • imageBelleWithABlade:
    I would speak to your doctor and ask what he recommends for further monitoring.  I see nothing your doc did that would spark the "get rid of him" comments.  You asked what the issue was and he told you.  You also can't take the experiences of others as evidence of what should happen.  How you carry your weight and position of your uterus affect the ability to do a scan, not just the quality of the machine.  Would you prefer he lied to you?  Many obese women deliver healthy babies, this is true, but it would be incorrect for one to say that at a BMI of 44 you are just as healthy and have less complications then if you were at 25.  I think patients deserve to hear the truth, even if it can sometimes be painful.  This doesn't make a doctor bad.  Your weight doesn't mean you are a bad person or mother and that's not what was said to you.

well said.

• I am 5'7 and weigh 208. My first ultrasound was fine at 10 weeks. I go back for a/s and asked my doctor what week that would be and she said, "because of your size you should wait until 22 weeks just to make sure they can see everything fine."

I honestly did not take any offence to this. I know that I am larger than average at size 14 and there is no one to blame but me for this. I find it to be a mild inconvenience that I have to wait an extra two weeks longer than normal size patients but I am not too concerned about it.

Try not to be too upset about it. I know it's hard. I could be that they just had a crappy machine. 

•  That's awful, and NOT true. I'm a bit shorter and weigh less, but proportionately your size. Ive had mutiple u/s and not once had a problem seeing or measuring the baby.

Your dr is an ass.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • alzalz member
    Wow, you guys are really harsh and ridiculous.  The doctor is not an ass or a jerk for being honest with the patient.  As someone who has read many ultrasounds, and is in a office with the most up to date machines, not every patient scans easily.  Many overweight people transmit easily, and so there is no problem with ultrasound images, but many, many overweight women transmit poorly making it more difficult to see the baby.  The sound waves have a lot tougher time going through 6" of fat than 1-2" (just giving an example here).  Think about it people.  Do you want your doctor to lie to you?  I know people get so sensitive about weight around here, but you are in denial if you think it should never be addressed.  Sorry, and I know I'll get yelled at here, but being overweight is as much a health issue as being diabetic, having high blood pressure, etc.  You wouldn't want your doctor to ignore those issues, now would you?  Get a grip people.  To the OP, I'm sorry you feel this way.  I would not change doctors because she was honest with you.  Maybe ask her if a different machine would help (she'll know how updated the equipment is).  Also ask her if waiting a couple weeks would help see the anatomy better.  Use your emotions for the better--eat well, exercise, etc, instead of feeling like a bad mother, which you're not. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think the dr is a bit of an ass to blame it solely on you and not the possibility of a bad machine. I am taller then you but much heavier. (I started my last pregnancy around 300lbs and had a hard time losing after DS) I have never had them face difficulties with my ultrasounds. Yes, it could be just the way your stomach is, but there is a good chance it's their machine. Sorry the dr put it to you that way.
    Kristin & Dave

Happy Easter

My Blog

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• "The doctor didn't say the baby was unhealthy because of her weight, just that they couldn't see things properly on the ultrasound.

OP, Don't feel like a failure--you're not!  I'm sure everything is healthy and fine.  Since others on here know of women who are plus size and have successful ultrasounds, I'd mention that to the doctor and see if he/she has recommendations for places with better machines, or I'd pay to go to one of those independent places where you can do them for like, $200 a pop.  

Good luck to you!  Remember, most women in the world do not have ultrasounds.  You have prenatal care, etc. so you're already ahead of many and I'm sure things are fine."

Yes 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagewychets:

I am so sorry you had to hear that! However I am 5'8 300lbs and never had a problem, so maybe they have a bad machine. They always find the hb and baby right away. Hope you feel better!

Or a HORRIBLE tech doing the ultrasound!  Probably both.  I've never heard of anyone having a hard time with an ultrasound because of size. 

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imagealz:
    Wow, you guys are really harsh and ridiculous.  The doctor is not an ass or a jerk for being honest with the patient.  As someone who has read many ultrasounds, and is in a office with the most up to date machines, not every patient scans easily.  Many overweight people transmit easily, and so there is no problem with ultrasound images, but many, many overweight women transmit poorly making it more difficult to see the baby.  The sound waves have a lot tougher time going through 6" of fat than 1-2" (just giving an example here).  Think about it people.  Do you want your doctor to lie to you?  I know people get so sensitive about weight around here, but you are in denial if you think it should never be addressed.  Sorry, and I know I'll get yelled at here, but being overweight is as much a health issue as being diabetic, having high blood pressure, etc.  You wouldn't want your doctor to ignore those issues, now would you?  Get a grip people.  To the OP, I'm sorry you feel this way.  I would not change doctors because she was honest with you.  Maybe ask her if a different machine would help (she'll know how updated the equipment is).  Also ask her if waiting a couple weeks would help see the anatomy better.  Use your emotions for the better--eat well, exercise, etc, instead of feeling like a bad mother, which you're not. 

This (except I don't do ultrasounds LOL)

I am 5'2 and currently 215 but with my daughter I was 10lbs smaller and my drs. office has trouble. I was really upset and then realized i was being stupid, I was larger and I knew it. They just sent me for a level 2 at MFM and they could see everything fine.  

Weight is a sensitive subject (I refused to be weighed at the endocrinologist yesterday because i already get weighed every 4 weeks LOL) but reality is reality and if you JUST realized you are a bit on the big side and didn't know ahead of time that this could cause some minor (and major) issues during pregnancy then you need a reality check.

Stop being pissed it isn't worth it and isn't going to help. 

Allison Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBelleWithABlade:
    I would speak to your doctor and ask what he recommends for further monitoring.  I see nothing your doc did that would spark the "get rid of him" comments.  You asked what the issue was and he told you.  You also can't take the experiences of others as evidence of what should happen.  How you carry your weight and position of your uterus affect the ability to do a scan, not just the quality of the machine.  Would you prefer he lied to you?  Many obese women deliver healthy babies, this is true, but it would be incorrect for one to say that at a BMI of 44 you are just as healthy and have less complications then if you were at 25.  I think patients deserve to hear the truth, even if it can sometimes be painful.  This doesn't make a doctor bad.  Your weight doesn't mean you are a bad person or mother and that's not what was said to you.

Agreed with all of this. Very well said.

It's scary that so many people think a DOCTOR who is being paid to monitor someone's health, can't mention weight to a patient. Makes me shudder.

My doc mentioned I was perhaps gaining weight too fast. Did it "hurt my feelings" a bit? Sure. But that doesn't make her a bad doctor!

• The doctor didn't say anything wrong.  If they couldn't see on their equipment because of maternal size, then that is the issue.  Do they need new machines?  Perhaps.  But apparently they work on average sized women just fine.

Don't beat yourself up though.  Eat healthy and do what you need to do so that you don't feel so badly.  You're NOT a bad mom by any stretch!

• People need to chill.  Its not like the doctor said "Listen you fat a$$, this is the reason why we can't see your baby"  --- that would be WRONG and a reason to find a new doctor. 

The doctor said the reason in the most respectful way he could. 

Rylee - 3.28.08
    Malakai - 8.3.09
    Ezra - 12.1.11 ASD
  • i agree with you.  I am a critical care nurse and know a bit about medical stuff.  My point was not to get another dr, I know she was being honest and appreciate that.  i just felt horrible that I let myself get like this and now its not affecting just me, buy my baby as well.  I don't agree that it is as bad a health issue at this point for me as diabetes or high blood pressure, which I have never had a problem with.  I have decided that I am going to use this painful experience and make some changes in my life for my whole family.  Thank you for your input and honesty!

• The tech seemed very rushed and I was in and out of there in 10 minutes,  I have heard most other people I know were in there for an hour for the mid pregnancy u/s.  So may be a combo of my size and bad tech.
  • Not where i was going at all with this post.  I knew it would be an issue at some point, but when it is said to you it hurts.  I don't know if you know how it feels to be overweight, but it is a sensitive issue.  I never said that my Dr was to blame, she is great.  
  • I'm tardy to the party, but I'll put in my two cents anyway.  I'm taller and heavier than you and I've never had a problem with my ultrasounds in 2D.  My doctor did tell me last visit that all my u/s will be in 2D rather than 3D or 4D because at my size and with my "thick abdominal wall" it would be clearer to go that route.  It irked me little, but fact is fact:  I've got a gut.  I know it makes you feel bad because no one likes to think of their weight as a hindrance, but probably all is fine.  I agree with other posters that you might wait a few weeks then try again or find a place that just does u/s only and pay out of pocket. GL!
  •  

Omg, that is just crazy. I weight not much less then you and have only had 2 ultrasounds at weeks 7 and 9. But both time they had a hard time seeing baby so they did a vaginal ultrasound and seen baby just fine. They should try that. And what the doctor told you well I think that is just plain out rude and wrong. But don't think you are going to be a bad mom or anything you will be great.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image
  • I think we need a board for plus-size ladies on here...Because we all need a little support and advice every now and then, and some of the issues we face are unique, and not everyone can understand...hmm I'll look into that...
    Anniversary
  • imageHaley.Beth:
    I think we need a board for plus-size ladies on here...Because we all need a little support and advice every now and then, and some of the issues we face are unique, and not everyone can understand...hmm I'll look into that...

People have discussed this topic at length, and I think the consensus is that it wouldn't be such a great idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"