Babies: 3 - 6 Months

An (un?)popular opinion I don't need to be flame free

I think starting solids before 6 months is a bad idea, even if your outdated pedi told you it was okay.

It seems like it makes life more complicated and has no actual health advantages. I don't understand rushing our babies to grow up already.

Re: An (un?)popular opinion I don't need to be flame free

• I tend to agree.  I am quite stressed about starting solids at 6 months.  He'll only be 4 months adjusted.  The neos and pedi seem to think it is the right thing to do, but I'm stressed.  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• I agree. I'm in no rush.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree.  I'm going to wait at least 6 months and then let her lead in that department.

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

BFP 6.9.13|heartbeat of 128bpm 7weeks|7.23.13 ultrasound revealed no heartbeat|natural m/c and d&c 7.25.13

DS born 5.20.14 at 38 weeks

All are welcome

• I would feel the same way if my LO was content.  DD is happier, but has never been a happy baby.  Reflux and milk / soy protein intolerance are not fun.  She's interested in food and us eating so I plan to start cereal when the pedi says it's ok.  That being said, if she still has the tongue thrust reflex while eating we'll stop and wait a couple weeks before trying again.  I just feel like it will help her reflux.  My UO is that I refuse to put cereal in her bottle for her reflux.  I feel like if she can't eat it off of a spoon then she doesn't need it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with you waiting, however, I will be trying for my DD when given the OK. 

• I will also be waiting until around 6 months to start solids. Most current research supports waiting so that is what we will do. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • agreed.  we'll be at least 6 months, probably longer.  i'm never really sure what the point is if it's not for nutrition.  but i nurse, so maybe i'd feel different if i ff.  i know that breastmilk is healthier and has more calories than whatever else i would give her, so i don't really get it.  we also never did purees with ds so i'll probably just wait until she can eat little bites of food. 
    bound to cover just a little more ground Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageamahrey:
    we also never did purees with ds so i'll probably just wait until she can eat little bites of food. 

Yeah, my plan for now is baby led weaning - omg real food! I'm not even doing little bites... I'm going to let him gnaw on things before he has teeth.

• imagetokenhoser:

I think starting solids before 6 months is a bad idea, even if your outdated pedi told you it was okay.

It seems like it makes life more complicated and has no actual health advantages. I don't understand rushing our babies to grow up already.

Yes

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

TheBump ate my profile. Oh well. New and improved.
  • imageAmyG*:
    a very good reason to wait on giving solids is that you get to wait on having foul smelling brown grown up looking poop in the diaper. I remember when my dh saw the first one and he started talking about potty training!! and we stopped cloth diapering at that point, cause dh couldn't stand the thought of washing that out in our washing machine, even with rinsing he just couldn't imagine the thought.

NOT looking forward to nasty diapers lol

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

BFP 6.9.13|heartbeat of 128bpm 7weeks|7.23.13 ultrasound revealed no heartbeat|natural m/c and d&c 7.25.13

DS born 5.20.14 at 38 weeks

All are welcome

• Im happy to say that I did start solids (puree) at 4 months and LO is very happy to be eating. I give him a couple of tablespoons once a day and as soon as I get out the high chair he gets excited. He has lost the tongue thrust reflex and is opening his mouth nice and wide for the spoon.  I was in no "rush" to begin and if LO didn't want it I would have stopped. I feel that even though his nutrition is still coming from his breast milk, its a fun new thing that he enjoys to do during his day. 
  • First I am going to address the "outdated pedi" comment. According to my pedi (no other research to go on here) the "MOST CURRENT" research suggests that it is best to start solids between 4 and 6 months. Mostly for allergy purposes. They are starting to see that the "wait till 6 months to prevent allergies" method is backfiring and more children are forming allergies because food is being introduced so late. Our pedi also urged us to start at 4 months because my DH is a type 1 diabetic and there is research that shows that starting solids between 4-6 months (not earlier, not later) reduces the risk of developing type 1 diabetes. We originally wanted to wait till 6 months to start (I don't want my baby growing up) but decided to start at 5 months after our discussion with the pedi.

That said if I could do it again I would wait till 6 months. Turns out my LO is allergic to oatmeal and we have been having all kinds of rash issues. So I stopped feeding her solids for now and we will be revisiting them soon since she is almost 6 months now anyway. Starting solids did complicate things a lot. 

• imagegymnst1013:
    I agree. I'm in no rush.

Anniversary

• imagegymnst1013:
    I agree. I'm in no rush.

Ditto

Anniversary

• Thank you for stating this....I don't get it either! Everything I read says that it's best to wait until 6 months to introduce solids so why are there so many starting months earlier?
  • I think most people are just so excited to see their little babies growing up and can't wait (like how I totally put my baby in clothes the next size up the second she didn't look ridiculous in them), but a lot of people really stress out over it when they're little ones reject their rice cereal at 4 months old.  I don't get it, especially since it seems to me that formula (and certainly breast milk!!) is more nutritious than rice cereal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I don't disagree. It's bad parenting to rush your child into things they are not ready for. That being said, I started my son on cereal at 3 months (pedi approved, and my pedi is a 30-something father of 3, not some old fart.) He'll be 6 months tomorrow and he eats solids 3x per day. Cereal, fruits, veggies, and even some puffs and small bites of dissolvable (sp?) food. He also drinks about 1oz water from a sippy cup.

I planned on waiting until 5-6 months, but he started showing all the signs of readiness. he was sitting up, "chewing" his tongue and toys, drinking on the higher end of the recommended oz for his age/size, and most importantly, he was showing interest in food.  If I had him on my lap when I was eating, he'd pull himself up and try to reach for my food, then chew (on nothing) as I chewed my food.  Per the pedi's rec, we started with a Tbsp of cereal mixed with BM and he took to it at the first bite. We had no adjustment period to the spoon, no tongue reflex, etc.  He was ready. We haven't looked back since.

While it's poor parenting to rush your child, it's also (IMO) poor parenting to hold off if your child is developmentally ready. All kids are different. You have to use common sense and your own instinct to know when YOUR child is ready (pedi approved, of course.)  I should also add, we have no food allergies in our families at all, so there were no concerns. Obviously it's a different story if there are medical concerns with certain foods or digestion in general.

• imageLynsiBHM:

I don't disagree. It's bad parenting to rush your child into things they are not ready for. That being said, I started my son on cereal at 3 months (pedi approved, and my pedi is a 30-something father of 3, not some old fart.) He'll be 6 months tomorrow and he eats solids 3x per day. Cereal, fruits, veggies, and even some puffs and small bites of dissolvable (sp?) food. He also drinks about 1oz water from a sippy cup.

I planned on waiting until 5-6 months, but he started showing all the signs of readiness. he was sitting up, "chewing" his tongue and toys, drinking on the higher end of the recommended oz for his age/size, and most importantly, he was showing interest in food.  If I had him on my lap when I was eating, he'd pull himself up and try to reach for my food, then chew (on nothing) as I chewed my food.  Per the pedi's rec, we started with a Tbsp of cereal mixed with BM and he took to it at the first bite. We had no adjustment period to the spoon, no tongue reflex, etc.  He was ready. We haven't looked back since.

While it's poor parenting to rush your child, it's also (IMO) poor parenting to hold off if your child is developmentally ready. All kids are different. You have to use common sense and your own instinct to know when YOUR child is ready (pedi approved, of course.)  I should also add, we have no food allergies in our families at all, so there were no concerns. Obviously it's a different story if there are medical concerns with certain foods or digestion in general.

I could have written this post, except LO was 3.5 months old.....and we didn't consult our ped.  He was showing all the signs of being ready, and he took to it from the first spoonful.  When we told our Ped at his 4m appt, she was glad we didn't wait to "ask permission" since he was doing so well with it. 

• imageLuhdashuh:
    I tend to think judgy posts like this are a bad idea
    I've been trying to think of a way to put it and you said what I was thinking.

I'm not sure why OPs need validation that they are correct. It's an opinion, don't preach about it. 

• And I think it's silly to put a date-stamp on the whole "solids" thing. Are you surprised?

I've learned a lot since having my 1st.   6 months is not a magical number. Not for sleep training and not for solids...not for rolling and not for many other things.

• Eh, I'm not doing it, but it's absolutely not harmful to babies between 4-6 months.  So what's the big deal? 

• Quite honestly, I wish I would have listened to my 34 year old pedi a long time ago.  My DS was ready for solids long before 6 months and I attribute some of his pickiness issues with waiting, diligently until the 6 month mark.  He was a chunker...My DD is not necessarily a chunker, but she's showing signs at 4.5/5 months. 37 y/o pedi suggests starting at 5, and we are going for it next week.

Keep preachin', Token. You'll gain a little perspective one day....I hope.

• imageLisa Frank:

You mean I'll agree with you? Stick out tongue

I don't really plan on doing purees at all. Which has also been linked to adventurous, non-picky eaters. There are developmental milestones, like sitting unassisted that indicate a baby is ready for solids... but those alone can't tell the state of the actual digestive tract.

Also: obviously I titled this post to ensure maximum viewing. I don't really expect to change minds, nor do I need to.

• i'll give DS solids when he seems ready.  not according to a number.  if he's ready at 4 months, he's ready at 4 months.  if he's ready at 6, he's ready at 6.  i'm not really sure of the reason for this post.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This was my original plan, and I agree completely! The only reason we have started already (5 months) is because LO had ALL of the signs that he was ready, and he LOVES it! :) Our Pedi told us he was ready at 4 months, but we waited because I thought that was too soon.
  • Not always. 

I tried to wait. I really did. My daughter could not. She was hungry and breastmilk alone wasn't doing it.  We even tried formula-- she would have none of that. 

She started solids at 5 months.

My daughter is perfectly healthy.

It's really easy to say what you will or won't do before the time actually comes... but sometimes life throws you a curve-ball. The best parents are the ones who roll with it and are willing to adjust their plans for what the child really needs.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageSharon21:

First I am going to address the "outdated pedi" comment. According to my pedi (no other research to go on here) the "MOST CURRENT" research suggests that it is best to start solids between 4 and 6 months. Mostly for allergy purposes. They are starting to see that the "wait till 6 months to prevent allergies" method is backfiring and more children are forming allergies because food is being introduced so late. Our pedi also urged us to start at 4 months because my DH is a type 1 diabetic and there is research that shows that starting solids between 4-6 months (not earlier, not later) reduces the risk of developing type 1 diabetes. We originally wanted to wait till 6 months to start (I don't want my baby growing up) but decided to start at 5 months after our discussion with the pedi.

That said if I could do it again I would wait till 6 months. Turns out my LO is allergic to oatmeal and we have been having all kinds of rash issues. So I stopped feeding her solids for now and we will be revisiting them soon since she is almost 6 months now anyway. Starting solids did complicate things a lot. 

All of this. All the research I have read says that the 4-6 month window is optimal for preventing allergies. I have celiac disease, and babies who were exposed in the 4-6 month window that were genetically predisposed to develop it were less likely to have symptoms of gluten intolerance. Every month the parent waited to introduce gluten, the more likely they were to develop symptoms of the disease.

Maybe my kids were just different, but by 5 months they were VERY ready for solids. They needed the extra calories (or I could have fed them 50oz of formula, which would have been detrimental) and had all the other signs of readiness. Starting around the 4-5 month window worked great for my family. We had no negative effects from starting prior to 6 months. Introducing it was never rushing them to grow up, but to prevent allergies if possible and giving them the calories their bodies needed.

From what I understand, while the recommendation is 6 months, but there's no solid piece of research supporting waiting. The research does state that prior to 4 months results in negative outcomes, but anything later than 4 months is fine. Perhaps you're the one with the outdated pedi if they think 6+ months is so crucial.

• Eh. To each his own.

DD was ready at 5 months, and we started her then with 1 meal a day of purees (skipped cereal). We may move her up to 2 meals at 6mo.

If you feel your kid isn't ready, then wait.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture114b Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagetokenhoser:
    imageLisa Frank:

I think she means maybe you'll realize things like this are really NBD, especially in the longer perspective of a child's life.  

I'm really tired of attitudes like this implying that other people are bad parents or not doing right by their child just because they make different choices than you.  Starting solids at birth?  I agree, bad idea.  At 4 or 5 months?  Who cares? 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I feel like going by a set date - even "6 months" - rather than following your child's cues is an equally bad idea.
    imageimage
  • I don't understand why someone is "forcing their child to grow up" because they give them solids. Are we supposed to delay their development forever because we want them to stay babies?

My DD was starting to get out of control with her formula consumption. Ever since I introduced solids and got to two meals a day she has regulated herself and we're back down to the normal range. Before I felt like no matter how much formula I fed her she wanted more.

• I'll be going with what my Peditrician says - it worked for DD#1 - she started at 4 months and at 3 years old eats anything and everything under the sun.  Whether that's just temperment or because she started eating a wide variety of foods at a young age - it worked so I am sticking to it!
  • imageScout2005:
    imageiris427:
    imagetokenhoser:
    imageLisa Frank:

I think she means maybe you'll realize things like this are really NBD, especially in the longer perspective of a child's life.  

I'm really tired of attitudes like this implying that other people are bad parents or not doing right by their child just because they make different choices than you.  Starting solids at birth?  I agree, bad idea.  At 4 or 5 months?  Who cares? 

Stop being so reasonable and mature, Iris. This is The Bump, there is no room for such things here.

Srsly.

Honestly, I posted this because there had been yet another post from a mom of a 4 month old distraught that her baby was spitting out cereal.

I know it doesn't make a huge difference (well, probably, it's really fairly poorly studied IMO). Sometimes it just feels like there are a lot of solids posts on this board and no one is waiting. I like to make the waiters feel normal.

I already feel like I'm clearly a terrible parent with a "bad sleeper". The least I can do is share the love.

• token - I understand what you are saying but I don't think anyone one here should feel like a bad parent for any reason.

You are not a bad parent because your child is a bad sleeper, and other parents are not bad because they start their babies on solids before 6 months old.

You like your research and want to go that route, that is fine.  My Pedi said 4 months, and I will listen to her.  My 5 y/o daughter started at 4 months and she is thriving. 

With parenthood, comes trial and error.  So for the parent who started solids early and her baby was spitting it out?  She is learning.  There is no reason for her to be judged. 

This is my unpopular opinion, I guess

• imageTrishd:

You like your research and want to go that route, that is fine.  My Pedi said 4 months, and I will listen to her.  My 5 y/o daughter started at 4 months and she is thriving. 

With parenthood, comes trial and error.  So for the parent who started solids early and her baby was spitting it out?  She is learning.  There is no reason for her to be judged. 

Yes 

• imageLisa Frank:
    imageTrishd:

Yes 

Agreed. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers ellie
  • imagekewltif:

I don't understand why someone is "forcing their child to grow up" because they give them solids. Are we supposed to delay their development forever because we want them to stay babies?

My DD was starting to get out of control with her formula consumption. Ever since I introduced solids and got to two meals a day she has regulated herself and we're back down to the normal range. Before I felt like no matter how much formula I fed her she wanted more.

Hmm...I was just planning on knocking my LO over once she tries to walk to prevent her from trying to "grow up". 

• imageLynsiBHM:

I don't disagree. It's bad parenting to rush your child into things they are not ready for. That being said, I started my son on cereal at 3 months (pedi approved, and my pedi is a 30-something father of 3, not some old fart.) He'll be 6 months tomorrow and he eats solids 3x per day. Cereal, fruits, veggies, and even some puffs and small bites of dissolvable (sp?) food. He also drinks about 1oz water from a sippy cup.

AGREED!  Do what is appropriate for your child.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am amused by those of you who "don't get the point" but need to post in response.

I explained the point:

to make the waiters feel normal and

to give the rest of you somewhere to post

This post has more views than any other on the page. Clearly, people love a provocative title and having an opinion. That's really okay. 

• imageTrishd:

token - I understand what you are saying but I don't think anyone one here should feel like a bad parent for any reason.

You are not a bad parent because your child is a bad sleeper, and other parents are not bad because they start their babies on solids before 6 months old.

Ditto this.

Andplusalso, I think the date range should be eliminated completely. The recommendation for starting solids should be when the baby can do x, y and z. Not at some magical date that really means nothing. Some babies at 3 months can do what others are only starting at 7 months.

DS was developmentally a couple weeks after 4 months, so we started when he was ready. I saw no point to holding him back just because he was ready before he was 6 months old. That seems counterproductive to me. That's as dumb as keeping an advanced child in their grade because it matches their age. If a 10 year old can excel at geometry or algebra, why hold them back with elementary level long division just because that is what is recommended for their age?

Make sense?

• imagetokenhoser:

I am amused by those of you who "don't get the point" but need to post in response.

I explained the point:

to make the waiters feel normal and

to give the rest of you somewhere to post

This post has more views than any other on the page. Clearly, people love a provocative title and having an opinion. That's really okay. 

That's cool but you did it at the expense of those who did not wait feel like uneducated jerks. That's not cool. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"