Food Allergy
Options

few questions about introducing soy

We tried introducing soy about 4 months ago (or something like that) and he got a pretty big diaper rash the next day so we stopped.

I came home today and decided to try again.  Of course i forgot to check if he already had a diaper rash (i didn't even think to check).. so about 45 minutes after giving him toast which has soybean oil and soy letchen in it i changed his diaper and he had a diaper rash (he hasn't had one since the last time i gave him the toast), but 45 minutes??? Is it possible to get it that quickly after eating something?  I texted my nanny to ask her if he had a diaper rash today but she hasn't gotten back to me.

Also, am i doing this wrong? should i be introducing soy a different way?  I might actually go find something else with soy in it but organic b/c this bread is not and it has a lot of other crap so maybe something else is bothering him.

his soy allergy is super low so i'm anxious to try but i still am not a fan of soy in general but it will open up a whole new world of foods he can eat, especially since he's in a very picky eating stage right now.

thanks! have a great (and safe) weekend!

Re: few questions about introducing soy

• Options
    Hmmm.......45 minutes does seem pretty quick, but then again DD gets a rash on her face/mouth almost immediately after having dairy. Maybe try the soy in a smaller dose? Like putting a spread with soybean oil on a safe muffin or bread? I don't know, just thinking out loud. That way you will be able to narrow down soy as the culprit if he gets a rash after eating a previously safe food. Not sure if that is the right answer, but just a thought.
    imageimage
  • Options

thanks.. i think it was a coincidence. Nanny eventually said there was no diaper rash friday but it went away quickly. I'm giving it couple of days and then trying it again.

He LOVES toast and it would be awesome to have the bread as a snack. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Are you specifically trying the soy oil or are you trying all soy?  If you are interested in trying soy in general, I would just give a tiny amount of soy milk on a spoon (less than a tsp). 

A lot of allergists say that those who are allergic/sensitive to soy is primarily due to the soy protein and are able to have soy oil or soy lechitin.  Therefore, if you child can tolerate the soy lechitin in the bread, it doesn't necessarily mean they can tolerate all soy.  Plus I am a fan of giving the raw ingredients for testing.  Otherwise you are always left wondering which ingredient gave the reaction.

Good luck!  I am planning to test soy again when DD is 2....fingers crossed

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"