Secondary IF

WWYD

I will be 35 in June.  My RE told me if I have to do IVF I should really do it before I turn 35 because the success rates decrease.  The problem is I won?t have the money saved until July.  I love my RE, but I have found another RE that does IVF for half the cost of my RE.  This new office also has about the same success rates.  I feel bad about switching, but it would mean IVF sooner and if needed a second or third round.  If you were me would you switch?

Re: WWYD

• I would think long and hard about it, for sure. Money is hard to come by and savings are important. However, cost savings might be balanced out in patient care. Find out what you'd be missing if you switched.

As for the timeline, sooner is probably better than later, but its not like there is a magic switch within you that gets flipped on your 35th birthday. Statistics are based on a big sample of people and on average, the switch gets flipped close to that birthday. So it's important. However, on an individual basis, that switch can get flipped early or late. In fact, for some women, that switch is flipped years before 35 and for others long after. The take-away message is that sooner is better, but I don't think you need to worry unnecessarily about the magic birthday. Make the decision based on what is best in the big picture.

IMG_8724 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IMG_8895 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Could you take to your RE in regards to the cost difference.  Maybe they may be willing to negotiate the price with you. 

Good luck in your decision.  I agree with the other poster about 35 age thing, it is based on a alot of people coming up with an average.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto PPs, there might be a reason why the price is so different - maybe one doesn't provide the same level of care, or, maybe the prices of the one you are at now are inflated.  I'd investigate further - look for comments online, maybe even see if you can go in for a consult prior to switching, then make your decision.  Also, your current guy didn't say he wouldn't perform the IVF after 35, right?  There had better not be a switch at 35!!!  GL with your decision!
    Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!
  • imageJMay:
    Ditto PPs, there might be a reason why the price is so different - maybe one doesn't provide the same level of care, or, maybe the prices of the one you are at now are inflated.  I'd investigate further - look for comments online, maybe even see if you can go in for a consult prior to switching, then make your decision.  Also, your current guy didn't say he wouldn't perform the IVF after 35, right?  There had better not be a switch at 35!!!  GL with your decision!

Ditto this too. 

FWIW...your fertility doesn't decrease on your 35th birthday, so another month or two isn't going to make a huge difference.  Lots of luck!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • imageJMay:
    Ditto PPs, there might be a reason why the price is so different - maybe one doesn't provide the same level of care, or, maybe the prices of the one you are at now are inflated.  I'd investigate further - look for comments online, maybe even see if you can go in for a consult prior to switching, then make your decision.  Also, your current guy didn't say he wouldn't perform the IVF after 35, right?  There had better not be a switch at 35!!!  GL with your decision!

My current RE will still do it after 35 but she just made it out that it was not a good idea to wait. 

• Same success rates and half as much money?  Forget saving up--I'd switch no matter what.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    TTC since 6/02 (age 22) K/U instantly despite no AF for 5 months--preemie baby boy 1/03
    M/C 11/04 - M/C 05 - M/C 06 - BFP 2/08--fullterm baby girl 10/08 - M/C 4/11 - went to RE at age 31
    DX: crappy quality & infrequent ovulation, mild MFI
    Stimmed cycle #1 C/P 7/11 - Stimmed cycle #2 C/P 8/11 - Stimmed cycle #4 C/P 10/11
    On Stimmed Cycle #5
    Always thought I'd be a "mom of many"--now just hoping to be a "mom of one or two more!"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"