School-Aged Children
Options

Harry Potter- books v. movies

I am just finishing up the first Harry Potter book w/my 1st grader.  She LOVES it.  We're really enjoying it together.  I've asked her several times if anything scares her and she says no, she understands that its all made up.  I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies, so I'm wondering if some of the earlier ones are appropriate for a 7yo who has an understanding of the book(s).  I just bought the second book & she is really excited to get started on that one. I have just heard that the movies can get pretty dark & don't want to be showing her anything inappropriate.  TIA!

Re: Harry Potter- books v. movies

• Options
    The first one is fine and really follows the book. I'm reading the first book with DD1, who is 5 and very timid. It's really around book 4 when it starts getting dark. I've told DD she can't see the movie until we read the books.
  • Options

I'm a big an of the Harry Potter books.  My kids both read the first 3 books when they were around age 6.  DD read them on her own; I read them to DS.  Both my kids are pretty sensitive to scary images in the movies, yet they both handled the first movie without trouble after reading the books.  Knowing that everyone makes it out alive helped them get through the scarier moments in the movie.  My son is particularly sensitive, so we watched the movie in chunks over a few days.  We talked about what might seem scary in each part (the troll, Fluffy, the scene in the Forbidden Forest, the ending confrontation.)

If you're familiar with the series already, you'll know that it takes a pretty dark/scary turn at the 4th book.  The main characters also begin to take an interest in dating and relationships at this point.  The issues in the book just seemed less appropriate for kids still in the primary grades.  I made (am making in DS's case) my kids wait until they were older to read the rest of the books.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The first movie isn't too bad.  The 2nd movie, is more than my 7 and 5 y/o can handle.  Personally I think the 3rd book and movie are for 9 and up.  I did let my 10.5 y/o watch the last couple of movies but it was kind of against my better judgement. 
  • Options

The first two, i feel, are more geared towards children. Beginning with the third one, i think they got a bir dark and more geared towards adults. My brothers and sisters love them. My daughter likes them too but doesnt choose to watch them if given the choice.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree with the others, that the first three books are just scary enough for little kids without going over the line... I personally don't think I'll let the kiddos read past book 3 until they're in late intermediate school- I'm thinking 5th/6th grade at the earliest. I think the themes are just too dark and deep for them to really grasp prior to that. And the rule in our house is books before movies. :) Because the books are always better.
  • Options
    DD's (5.5 and 4) have seen the first two movies and have had no problems.  We are stopping there for now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"