Parenting after 35

Next question!

I was trying to think of something board related, but meh. This sort of is; what sports did you do as a teen/adult, before having kids? Do you still participate? Or were sports never your thing? What would you like to do - because I can already hear, "WHO HAS TIME!!"

And....GO!

Re: Next question!

• As a kid, I played tennis and baseball, but mostly I was a bookworm.  When I hit my twenties, I plunged full force into mountain biking, snowboarding, and rock climbing.  I lived in Boulder, there may be a city statute that states "You must be *this* fit to live here." ;)

I was always out on my bike or on the mountain in some capacity until I left Boulder for San Francisco in my late twenties, when I became a couch potato... which is what I am now.  I do still have my yoga.  :)

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I am walking impaired.  I am very uncoordinated and do not like to sweat. 

I was on a swim team when I was 12 to 14 but quit when I was told I would never get any better so I should not even bother.  Good job coach.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • as a kid I skied, ran, played soft ball & basketball and biked.  before having kids i ran and skied and snowboarded.  Since having kids my skiing has been limited due to a back injury.  No more snowboarding or running due to the back injury & surgery.  I now walk instead of running.  Since having #2 I walk some.
    image Sandy RIP 1-11-09 imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In HS I ran track, post-college I got into biking for a while. Since then, nothing. This is probably the most boring reply to your question but there it is.
    Wut? Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As a kid I played all sports and did ballet and tap, I did soccer for the longest though.

No sports as an adult.

• Soccer as a kid. Tennis and golf as an adult. DH and I just started golfing again. I imagine it will ultimately just be him golfing but it's fun to dream of having more time.... :)
  • Geez, I suppose I should answer my own question!

Um, figure skated for 14 years (please don't ask me to do a triple, haven't been on skates in too long and my wideass would throw me off). Swim team for, um, well 12 years when I was younger (up to the end of uni), and just started off/on in the last few years (harder to train preg at #5 than #1). Apparently I had too much energy, because I also did school athletics (soccer, volleyball, basketball, track, and xcountry). Throw in a bunch of triathlons, and I think that's it?

Sadly, now I wish I had that energy back. We have a gym at work that I will get to use when I go back on Monday. I am going to be swimming 3 nights a week this fall, and hopefully I'll be able to run again soon. Between being pregnant off and on the last 6 years and wrecking my foot so I couldn't, I don't feel like myself (or look it!)

vanverth, I want to throatpunch your swim coach. I was one for years and would never say that to anyone. Anyone who is willing to work their tail off will get good. We won't all make the Olympics, but it's still pretty awesome to say that you were able to make it to XYZ level, because most people can't swim like that.

stever, you can come hang with vanverth and I in the pool! If you get tired, you can throw kick boards at us from the hot tub.

• imagegimmietimmies:

Geez, I suppose I should answer my own question!

Um, figure skated for 14 years (please don't ask me to do a triple, haven't been on skates in too long and my wideass would throw me off). Swim team for, um, well 12 years when I was younger (up to the end of uni), and just started off/on in the last few years (harder to train preg at #5 than #1). Apparently I had too much energy, because I also did school athletics (soccer, volleyball, basketball, track, and xcountry). Throw in a bunch of triathlons, and I think that's it?

Sadly, now I wish I had that energy back. We have a gym at work that I will get to use when I go back on Monday. I am going to be swimming 3 nights a week this fall, and hopefully I'll be able to run again soon. Between being pregnant off and on the last 6 years and wrecking my foot so I couldn't, I don't feel like myself (or look it!)

vanverth, I want to throatpunch your swim coach. I was one for years and would never say that to anyone. Anyone who is willing to work their tail off will get good. We won't all make the Olympics, but it's still pretty awesome to say that you were able to make it to XYZ level, because most people can't swim like that.

stever, you can come hang with vanverth and I in the pool! If you get tired, you can throw kick boards at us from the hot tub.

Yes
  • I HATED sports and all physical activity after the age of 10.  When I was 8-10, I played soccer but it was the late 70s and there weren't girls' leagues so I was one of maybe 3 girls on a boy's team and that's mostly why I quit.

So after that, I was a dedicated couch potato.

Though I was a huge hockey fan once upon a time?before the strike and all the rule changes. So it's been a while. But I'm still loyal to my team. Go DEVILS!

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • The only sport I participated in was the occasional ski trip. I was in band (along with 325 other kids from my school) so not exactly the athletic type.
  • I was pretty athletic when I was really young. Gymnastics was my first love. I was even competing and have gotten some prizes (nothing international:)). Once I started going out, I started blaming on gymnastics for all the muscles on my body and for not having boobs ... so I officially quit! Unofficially though, I was still doing cartwheels on the way to the discotheque. When I went to college I was gathering on a regular base with a group of people who were into gymnastics and we were doing it somewhere outdoors. After that I was biking, but most of my energy was going into night clubs. I love dancing. My friends were going out to hang out, hit on guys/girls, and I was going out to dance the hell out of me and to have beer! 

When I came to New Mexico I started to rock climb and I love it, but have not done it since day one of my pregnancy. I do yoga 3 times a week now, and I am addicted to it! Would also like to go back to rock climbing though and see if I can lift up my significanly larger butt now!

• I swam and played volleyball all through high school and part of college. I taught swimming as well for about ten years. I love the water. But now with a kid I'm a couch potato. I do yoga now and again to help with back pain.
  •  I never did an organized sport and I was more of the bookworm than athletic type.

I always said I wanted to run a marathon, but somehow do not have the energy to even think about running.  I still want to do one...guess I should start out with a slow jog and work my way to running.  My sister in law has run the Honolulu Marathon multiple times....she's my inspiration. 

Married 5/12/07 Took 3 IUIs and 2 IVFs for our sweet boy He was worth the wait! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Teen swimming....adult marathons then triathlons....had baby in March so I am trying to get a rhythm.  Thanks for helping me remember a time when 7:00 was an early run!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"