Pregnant after 35

Hypnobirthing?

I think I've spelled that properly.  It's a term I've seen around when (not deeply) searching out different birthing methods (like lamaze, for example).  

Has anyone looked into this at a deeper level and/or has experience with this with past pregnancies that can speak to it?   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hypnobirthing?

• Hi there.  I've just finished a 5 week hypnobirthing class. So while I don't have any experience using it for birth, I'll tell you what I know. 

Hypnobirthing (also known as the Mongan Method) is typically a multiweek course led by an instructor.

Hypnobabies is a collection of homestudy materials.  

Both are based on the idea that when you are stressed and fearful the muscles in your uterus and cervix can't do what they are meant to do.  If you can relax and release any fear about birth, your body can get on with doing what it wants to do (get that baby out!)

Both courses provide you with the tools to be relaxed during labor.  You'll practice visualizations, breathing, relaxation techniques and massage.

The thing that convinced me to try it (and I was very doubtful at first) was reading hypnobirth birth stories.  Compared to other approaches, hypnobirth moms seemed to have pretty quick and effective labors.  Now, that could all be good marketing, but it was enough to for me to be willing to try it.

Going somewhere every Thursday night for 5 weeks and getting to hang out with expecting moms (several of whom in my class were having their second babies and looking for a better birth experience) while having my husband rub my back was pretty awesome.  

And while I haven't used it for birth, I did use the methods a few weeks ago to overcome seasickness.  I've dealt with seasickness for years, usually by taking drugs.  But during this pregnancy I haven't been taking the meds.  We were sailing back from the Vineyard, hard on the wind, pounding into some nasty wind chop.  I was miserable. After two hours of feeling wretched, I laid down in the cockpit and started doing the hypnobirth breathing exercises.  The next thing I knew, 90 minutes had passed and we were rounding the buoy into the more protected waters of Narragansett Bay.  I felt absolutely fine and rather refreshed, not groggy like I usually do after being seasick.  So yeah, now I'm pretty hopeful that this method is going to work for me during childbirth. 

image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was going to take the classes but the 2 people I contacted never bothered to contact me back until this week and I have already signed up for the birthing class through the hospital I will be delivering at.  I am however still reading the hypnobirthing book for supplemental info. 

Also, aside from the lack of response from them the course when they finally did get back to me I found out the class was going to cost $300. and it would only be myself and DH and another couple in some random woman's house.  Sorry but not my thing.  The hospital class is also 5 weeks but only $125.  Works for me!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageHuahine:

Hypnobirthing (also known as the Mongan Method) is typically a multiweek course led by an instructor.

Hypnobabies is a collection of homestudy materials.  

In my area, hypnobabies is offered as a homestudy (and the instructor will come to your house for a private 3-hour session at the end), or a 6-week course led by an instructor. Classes are 3 hours long.

We're planning to go with hynobabies. We attended an open house and were sold on it. The stories are incredible and watching videos on you tube sold me, too. You should check some out. GL!

Eric and Amanda 9.1.07
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I used hypnobirthing with DD, and was fortunate to have the natural birth that I wanted.  I found the techniques to be very, very helpful, in particular the ones I had practiced, practiced, practiced.  My DH even improvised some "scripts" for me when I was really struggling.  Did labor still hurt?  YEP!  But, I was able to relax between my contractions in a hard and fast labor and not completely panic and freak out.  I think the method also helped during almost 2 hours of pushing, I was able to just focus on what I was doing.  I will use the techniques again with this baby. 

My best advice is that you have to be able to really give yourself over and BELIEVE in your mind that this stuff is going to work.  Mind over matter, you know?  If you're a hard core skeptic, it may not be the best method for you.  If you have what they call "monkey mind" where you can't calm your thoughts, don't worry, I have terrible monkey mind and was still able to get to a good place in my labor.  HTH and GL! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"