Natural Birth
Options

No GD, now the OB's gonna have to talk to me!

My OB has been putting off talking about natural birth because of my weight ever since I started seeing him. But then my bp has been perfect, if a little low. I've only gained 7 lbs (at 24 weeks). My little girl hasn't even been measuring big, in fact, she's continued to measure perfectly along the lines of those growth charts he has. And yet every time I tried to talk to him about having a med-free birth, he's just said "We'll wait until we get your GTT results back, because that could have a big impact."

Well, guess what? I passed! I can't wait until my appointment Wednesday. I am perfectly healthy, no signs of anything that could affect my birth. It's time to talk. 

*side note* Yes, my OB is an a$$, but I live in a small town, and the other docs are knife-happy, with section rates twice his (his is 20%). He's just never seen a natural birth before, and I don't think he believes it can be done, though it doesn't sound like he's going to try to stop me. I've got a great support team though, and have educated myself in every way I can. I'm just trying to make sure he fully understands my intentions, and maybe, just maybe, I'll change his mind along the way.

Anniversary
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: No GD, now the OB's gonna have to talk to me!

• Options

Yes

Keep up the good work, mama!

Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • Options

Good job momma! I am re-reading Dr. Bradley's "Husband-Coached Childbirth" for my certification as a Bradley instructor and just last night I read a section where he talks about the changes required in the medical system in order for natural birth to be come the accepted norm...he encourages the couples who read his book to be "pioneers"...considering this book was written well over 40 years ago, I was surprised to see you write that your OB has never seen a natural birth! So, good for you and your support team for being pioneers! You are possibly changing the face of labor and delivery in your small town!!!

image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Awesome!!  Good job at fighting for the experience you want.  Is there a doula in town that you can bring to the hospital as an extra layer of knowledge and support?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageBFab11:
    Awesome!!  Good job at fighting for the experience you want.  Is there a doula in town that you can bring to the hospital as an extra layer of knowledge and support?

Unfortunately, no, there's no doula in town, the nearest one lives over an hour away, and we can't afford to pay her out-of-area fees. My mother has been doing her research as well, because she wants to play that role. She wishes she had had someone to advocate for her when I was born. Plus, I've seen her in action advocating for my grandmother in the hospital several times, and she's amazing at talking to medical staff and getting her way. She understands and agrees that DH will be my emotional and physical support during labor, and was actually the one to suggest to me that her role could be my go-between and errand runner (she's actually done it before for one of her friends several years ago).

Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Don't give up on what you want!  He shouldn't have waited to talk to you about natural birthing just because you might have GD.  I am overweight and have it and I've never been told I couldn't go natural.  Just because you have GD doesn't mean you need an epi for pete's sake, or that you will need an induction, or that you couldn't have a pain med free labor even with an induction!
  • Options
    I'd try to get some info ahead of time about the L&D nurses.  Find out which of the support staff is most amenable to & most experienced with natural childbirth. You'll be interacting with your nurse way more than you will your doctor -- and making sure that the nurses understand your intentions will make a huge difference! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"