3rd Trimester

Are cervical checks necessary or can I refuse?

I have been checked at 34, 35, and now 36 weeks. The first 2 times I was at 0..nothing.  Yesterday I was a fingertip.  My baby is breech...and we are pretty sure she's not going to turn. My OB did the first 2 checks and they are UNBEARABLE! Hurts sooooo bad...like scale of 1-10...the pain was at least a 9. I screamed and cried. (Most ppl say they are just uncomfortable).

At L&D, another doctor checked me this week...and on the scale of 1-10..it was a 2...just uncomfortable. NIGHT AND DAY...wow! I thought something was wrong with me because the pain was so bad at my doc office.  Everything seems to be fine...just need to drink more water and rest. (Today I am spotting some..which I hadn't before but they said thats normal)

My doctor wants to check again next week..and I want to refuse. He seems to think its a necessary thing. I do not think I need to be checked at all anymore. Just thinking about being checked will send me into a panic attack and I start crying.

C Sec is scheduled for less than 3 weeks from now.  Unless I have issues or baby changes positions (which we check each week on u/s and I know anyways)..I dont see a point to getting checked.

What would you do?

Should I stand up for myself and refuse? Can't they cause preterm labor?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Are cervical checks necessary or can I refuse?

• i definitely think you are allowed to refuse. it isnt medically necessary. you arent going to *not* have a baby just because you dont get your cervix check.

stand your ground momma!

• im sure you can refuse but Im thinking if you are a scheduled c-section then he is checking to make sure you arent progressing because if you go into labor with a breech baby you will be an emergency c-section

ive never heard of someone going into preterm labor because they were checked for dialation/effacement (soem drs will strip the membrane at 39 weeks to try and egt labor started but that is 50/50 on success)

I would ask your do why he wants/needs to do an internal and say you would like to opt out if possible....but if he has a good reason then be open to listening

• Loading the player...
  • You can refuse. I had my doctor's appt. yesterday and thought she was going to check so I ask her if she was going to and she told me they are not medically necessary and she would only do them if you ask her to do it. You still have 4 weeks to go so time is on your side
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP 8/25/2010 MC Confirmed 9/8/2010 You will be missed Little May Flower!!!
  • I would refuse.  Cervical checks wont cause you to go into preterm labor but it increases the changes of infection (especially since you're now a finger tip dilated).  

I'm thinking about refusing my cervical checks when the time comes because I remember feeling so defeated when my 1 cm 50% effacement stayed the same until I went into labor naturally 4.5 weeks later.   Why put myself through that again?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • With G, my doc would ask me if I wanted to be checked since dialation, etc., are not an actual indicator of when birth will occur. We didn't do any checks until 36 weeks. DH wanted to know "just in case", so we continued with them.

I will say that if your baby WASN'T breech, I'd probably have them towards the end so that you have the option for the membrane sweep. It's what started early labor for me at 39 weeks 6 days. G was born at 40 weeks 2 days.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker BFP 04/15/2011; M/C 04/21/2011 Sleep with Jesus sweet baby.
  • You can (and if I were in your position I would) refuse.  I have never had mine checked, with this LO or with DS. 
  • You can refuse any medical treatment you dont wish to be performed. Smile
  • I'm having a repeat c section, scheduled in 10 days.  I haven't had any cervical checks.  My doctor has offered and I refuse. 
  • I will be refusing them - with my last they just got my hopes up, and being dialated doesn't mean labor is imminent.

I am curious why your doctor doesn't think your baby will turn if you still have 4 weeks to do - that seems odd to have "given up" at this point. Also, has he/she advised you about the things you can do now to encourage baby to get into position? Just in case here are a few links (hope this ins't presumptuious - just trying to be helpful):

https://spinningbabies.com 

https://brendalane.suite101.com/turning-a-breech-baby-a7421 

• You are ABSOLUTELY allowed to refuse any medical procedure, including cervical checks. Unless your OB can give you a very good reason to do a check, I would definitely refuse if I was in your position. There is no reason to have one done if you aren't comfortable with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Some drs are way too rough.  Some stretch you also to see how soft you are, and if your cervix isn't pliable yet it will hurt badly.  I've heard some women say that the cervical checks during labor - by nurses too - were worse than contractions.  I have a cervical problem and my dr checks me at every appt.  He's never hurt me.  I usually don't even feel him touching it. 

If they hurt I def wouldn't do them.  The amount of dilation doesn't determine how soon you will go into labor.  So if you were to dilate to 3 cm by the next appt that doesn't mean you're going into labor the day after, or even the week after.  Even if you did, having labor start with a breech baby doesn't necessitate an "emergency" c-section, you still have hours to safely deliver the baby, vaginally or not.  A true emergency is when the baby or mom is in distress and you're rushed off to the OR with no hesitation.  Mine is still breech and the dr said she could even turn during labor.  There's no point in going through painful, unnecessary checks if the baby's position is your concern. 

• I would imagine you could refuse but I would first just ask him why so many checks? Find out his reasoning behind them and let him know you would rather not have so many.

• imageNovas Mommy:
    You can refuse any medical treatment you dont wish to be performed. Smile

this is true, but just know with doing that the insurance company doesnt have to cover what you've had done that day

i was told that at L&D when they wanted to give me saline solution for the millionth time when i wanted to just go home and drink water (PTL contractions)

i said if all your going to do is give me saline drops then send me home then she told me if i go home i'll be refusing medical treatment and my insurance has every right not to cover the L&D trip. =/ 

• You can decline. I'm personally not getting any internals unless I pass my due date because I just feel there's no point.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • You can refuse any medical procedure, necessary or not. It's your body. It's not like your going to say you don't want your doctor to do it and their going to hold you down and do it anyway.

However, I read a post recently about someone who said they had a lot of pain with their first one and when the OB went to do the next one they said how much it had hurt the last time and so the doctor was much more gentle and it didn't hurt at all the second time. So that is an option as well if your just worried about it hurting a lot again.

• I'm a little confused - you say you are screaming and crying... are you telling us that the Dr has no issue with that, or are you exaggerating?
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • No..Im not exaggerating..when I said 9/10 on the pain scale..I mean it. That was both times too..same doctor.  He just keeps saying that no one likes to be checked..its uncomfortable...but that I just can't handle the pain.

When I got checked by a different doctor..it didnt hurt..so now I understand what uncomfortable means.

• There is no medical reason to be checked. Its your body refuse away!!
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagehollyg1920:

im sure you can refuse but Im thinking if you are a scheduled c-section then he is checking to make sure you arent progressing because if you go into labor with a breech baby you will be an emergency c-section

ive never heard of someone going into preterm labor because they were checked for dialation/effacement (soem drs will strip the membrane at 39 weeks to try and egt labor started but that is 50/50 on success)

I would ask your do why he wants/needs to do an internal and say you would like to opt out if possible....but if he has a good reason then be open to listening

Just because baby is breech does not mean an automatic emergency c-section. Women have delivered breech babies, it's just not common. And emergency c-section is pretty much life or death for baby or mom, so unless there is something else going on a breech baby with a normal labor wouldn't be considered an emergency. 

• The only reason I could see that your doctor wants to keep doing the cervical checks is to make sure you are not beginning natural labor with a breech baby before your scheduled CS.  If you begin to dilate your planned C could become an emergency C, so he's probably keeping tabs on your progression.

That being said, I would think that, like any medical treatment, you have the right to refuse it if you don't want to.  However, if you've had an internal exam by another doctor that wasn't nearly as painful, I'd first speak up about my discomfort before refusing the procedure: "I received a cervical check while in L&D and it was not nearly as painful as the two that you've done... I understand they're uncomfortable but they really shouldn't hurt as badly as they have.  I'd appreciate it if you could be a little more gentle while performing it so that we can continue to monitor any progress, but if not, since they are not medically necessary, I choose not to have any."

• Are they necessary?  No.  They can't tell you anything about when you'll go in to labor.  Plenty of people go from no dilation to a baby in a day, while my friend was overdue and 5cm and ended up getting induced.  

You absolutely can refuse any medical treatment.  I refused several interventions at the hospital when I had DD and all was covered with my insurance (though of course you want to check how it works with yours). I would also want to change doctors if yours thinks that having a patient scream and declare their pain a 9/10 during a cervical check is just how things are.  *shudder*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekcvasquez:
    imagehollyg1920:

im sure you can refuse but Im thinking if you are a scheduled c-section then he is checking to make sure you arent progressing because if you go into labor with a breech baby you will be an emergency c-section

Just because baby is breech does not mean an automatic emergency c-section. Women have delivered breech babies, it's just not common. And emergency c-section is pretty much life or death for baby or mom, so unless there is something else going on a breech baby with a normal labor wouldn't be considered an emergency. 

It is quite common for hospitals to have a policy that forbids allowing a woman to vaginally deliver a breech baby.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageRadicalDreamer143:
    imagekcvasquez:
    imagehollyg1920:

It is quite common for hospitals to have a policy that forbids allowing a woman to vaginally deliver a breech baby.

Yes, I know this. But the whole point of the post was that a breech baby is not an emergency c-section. 

• Well my doctor doesnt deliver breech babies vaginally. (or at least he doesnt feel comfortable doing it)  I do not have a frank breech baby either (the easiest kind to deliver).

We scheduled the c section because that is what he does if the baby is breech...but 2 different doctors also agree that in my case...the baby probably wont turn. Im sure they look into a lot of factors case by case.

My main concern..and reason for posting...was because I didnt think I had to be checked. Some people are at 2 cm for weeks...After being checked 3 weeks in a row I am at a fingertip. It doesnt tell anything..and is painful for me. I appreciate your comments.  I am going to refuse this week and say that I will do it at my last apt (the next week) if he feels its necessary.

• You can definitely refuse.  I didn't have any internals until I was at L&D w/ DS because I refused.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemotorboatin fool:

imageNovas Mommy:
    You can refuse any medical treatment you dont wish to be performed. Smile

this is true, but just know with doing that the insurance company doesnt have to cover what you've had done that day

i was told that at L&D when they wanted to give me saline solution for the millionth time when i wanted to just go home and drink water (PTL contractions)

i said if all your going to do is give me saline drops then send me home then she told me if i go home i'll be refusing medical treatment and my insurance has every right not to cover the L&D trip. =/ 

Sounds to me like they were using scare tactics to make you more compliant.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  •  I work for an insurance company and I have not heard of this happening. If you dont have something done then there is nothing for your doctor to bill for. I agree with the above it sounds like a scare tactic to make you feel like you have to have something done so they can bill for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"