Pittsburgh Babies

Delivery at Mercy.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I need to bring/what they supply and such. I am 39 weeks today and only have such a little bit packed because Im really not sure what they supply for the baby.

Re: Delivery at Mercy.

• I delivered at Mercy last year with the Midwives from the Midwife center.  I didn't start packing until I was already in labor (he came a little early), so I really just threw things in a bag and left! 

I would recommend bringing:

- A pair of socks (if you go in sandals) because it can get cold, and they don't like you walking around in bare feet.  I forgot mine (I went in with sandals, since they were the only shoes that fit my hyper-swollen feet), so they gave me a hospital pair of socks.  But you might prefer your own.

- Bottled water or Gatorade or something else to hydrate you during labor!  Several bottles would be best.

- Snacks/caffeinated beverages for your partner, or anyone else who will be with you during the labor.

- If it would help you, maybe some object from home that you can focus on during contractions?  I found it a bit helpful...

- Really comfy clothes to wear after the birth - sweatpants, loose tops.  And a nursing bra if you plan to breastfeed.

- An outfit to bring the baby home in.  Remember that they will be taking a professional picture of your baby at the hospital - in this outfit, if you request it.  So pick a cute one!

- Chapstick is another good one.  My lips got so dry.

- Possibly a small cd player or iPod speakers?  They said I could play soft music during labor if I chose.  I didn't end up using it then at all, but it was very nice to have music in my room afterwards.

What they provide:

- If you want a birth ball for labor, they will provide you with one. 

- They don't really want you eating during labor, but if you brought something you could sneak in some bites while they are out of the room if you wanted.  They will give you an endless supply of ice! 

- After the birth (if it's vaginal, at least), you will get plenty of enormous pads and disposable panties, sitz bath, etc. for taking care of yourself "down there." 

- The meals they feed you after the birth are tasty and large, so unless you are picky or have special diet concerns, you really shouldn't need outside food. 

- They also send you home with tons of stuff for the baby.  Extra diapers, diaper creams, materials for bathing (soap, brush, shampoo, wash basin, etc.), the little button-up shirt they wear while at the hospital, a receiving blanket.

Hope this helps!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Tickerimage image image
  • Hi! I am currently looking into the Birthing Center/UPMC Mercy. How was your experience with them? 

Thanks,

Ginger 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"