Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

I got FB judged...

So first off before I say anything I got to clear something up. I am extremely strict with what DD eats. I grew up with a weight problem, I do not want DD to be that way. So typically she eats fairly healthy and 60/40 organic, plus little to no processed or sugar.

However, today I got a little lazy and got out the frozen chicken nuggets. I wanted to see what they tasted like fried. So I pan fried them in a little butter. I fed DD 1 chicken nugget as a treat with dinner (which was hummus, pita, and fruit). Jokingly (since most of my friends know how I am with her and will get the joke) I post something like "I just took semi healthy chicken nuggets and made them unhealthy by frying them in butter, DD loved it".

Most of my friends were just lol'ing at the complete break in my parenting style. My soon to be SIL instead posts "? a child doesn't need that... wow...". I got judged. By someone who doesn't even have kids yet. I'm slightly offended.  

I posted back stating that it wasn't going to kill her and that I'm typically super strict with her diet. 1 fried chicken nugget wasn't gunna kill her. Would this bother you too? 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: I got FB judged...

• Options
    When my childrenless sisters try to tell me I am doing it wrong, being soft with him or whatever else. I tell them they can go have their own baby and do it their own way, until then they can't say anything because they don't have kids.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes that would bug me. However I have learned that when you put something on fb that you should never be surprised by what people respond.
    imagePregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would be pissed too.  If you had posted that LO ate that when they were like 5/6 months old, I may have to agree, but at this age things like that in moderation is no problem.
    imageimageimageimageimage
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I would have liked to reply "well, you don't NEED to be a judgy cow but that doesn't stop you either", but I probably wouldn't have the balls Wink
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    imagewife07mom09:

yeah probably it would annoy me

I wonder though if you got out the nuggets why not bake them instead of adding butter? that just sets your child up that mommy is holding out the good stuff but one time really isn't a big deal 

This... if you're so worried about her diet, why even give her something like that... even once. Also, if you are still eating junk and bad food, your DD will see YOU eating it and think it is ok. A processed chicken nugget fried in butter is NOT a treat. Nasty!

• Options

imagerenc9828:
    However I have learned that when you put something on fb that you should never be surprised by what people respond.

Exactly. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagefredalina:
    HaHa looks like you've been TB-judged, too! Fat is essential to brain growth before 2 so don't sweat it as a once in a while thing. And please don't restrict fat in LO's diet without a medical reason!

There are "good" fats. Then there is just junk. Good fats are essential.

• Options
    imagefredalina:
    imageyourmysunshine:

imagefredalina:
    HaHa looks like you've been TB-judged, too! Fat is essential to brain growth before 2 so don't sweat it as a once in a while thing. And please don't restrict fat in LO's diet without a medical reason!

There are "good" fats. Then there is just junk. Good fats are essential.

Please. Her baby is not going to suffer from childhood obesity, diabetes, or even warts because she gave it fried chicken one time.

Could you please show me where I said her baby is going to suffer from childhood obesity, diabetes, or warts bc she had fried chicken?

Stop being a drama queen. I simply stated that there are good fats that are essential to their growth.

I don't think that a frozen processed chicken nugget fried in butter is a good "treat" for a child.

• Options

I don't see anything wrong with giving LO a 'treat' or something reasonably unhealthy now and then (you're not giving him shots of tequila in his milk, ya know). This type of food is part of real life, and the trick is help our kids recognize healthful vs less-healthful options over time, and to try to not identify a food with any kind of emotional/negative attachment; ideally food is just fuel and you learn to want the best kind most of the time.  C has had ice cream cake from Coldstone and cheddar bratwurst already; he probably gets one dessert or 'unhealthy' item once a week. But I'm very aware when he is getting this, and controlling how much, how often (and I struggle with my weight too). Reality is there are people all over the spectrum on this--those who have no education about food and will think it is fine for for an everyday diet, and those who will completely try to restrict a kid's diet to purely healthful options. I think like anything in parenting, you do the research, you do what you feel is best and you learn to let criticism roll off your back as you become more comfortable being in charge of your own family.

• Options
    Um, if you post that your kid had twinkies for breakfast, chicken nuggets with strawberry jam for lunch, and a lunchables and pie for dinner, then you can be judged. Other wise, people kinda need to stfu.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• Options

I'm laughing at the fact that you are now getting judged on the bump.

I'm the same way as you and for the same reasons.  I put wheat germ and ground flax seed in his foods, feed him fruit smoothies with vegetables in them, give him lots of foods like salmon and tofu, etc.  

However, last night I was tired and there wasn't anything at home for us to eat that wouldn't take some time to prepare.  We went through a Wendy's drive through and I got LO a kids meal - 4 chicken nuggets, apple slices, and whole milk.  And I admit that I was a little grossed out that I was giving him the type of chicken nugget that probably has chicken bones and beaks ground up in it, but really, it's not like my kid is going to get to adulthood without ever eating a gross chicken nugget.  Giving him something gross like that on rare occasion isn't going to hurt him.  This is the first time he's ever even had a chicken nugget.

Is a chicken nugget fried in butter a gross food?  Yes.  However, so are other things that I'm sure I'll eventually give my kid as a treat - like a little bit of a funnel cake or cotton candy at a fair.  It's unrealistic and a little silly to plan to never, ever give a child junk food like this.

That said, I think that when you put stuff out there on facebook, you have to know that you are opening yourself to judgmental responses. 

• Options
    Oh, FFS. It's a chicken nugget. She's not putting melted butter in the kid's bottle.

• Options
    imageyourmysunshine:
    imagewife07mom09:

I wonder though if you got out the nuggets why not bake them instead of adding butter? that just sets your child up that mommy is holding out the good stuff but one time really isn't a big deal 

This... if you're so worried about her diet, why even give her something like that... even once. Also, if you are still eating junk and bad food, your DD will see YOU eating it and think it is ok. A processed chicken nugget fried in butter is NOT a treat. Nasty!

I'm sure that a chicken nugget cooked on the stove with butter is a whole heck of a lot healthier than anything served at a kids meal at a place like mcdonalds/chilis/any other chain restaurant. Unless you will never let your precious children ingest anything from those places (or anything else that you didnt personally bake with organic meat/produce), you can step off your high horse with your judgmental attitude.

And if you are going to raise them that way, well it sucks to be your kids.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageyourmysunshine:
    imagewife07mom09:

Nasty!

This could also be said about your judgey self.
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • Options
    imageKC_13:

I'm sure that a chicken nugget cooked on the stove with butter is a whole heck of a lot healthier than anything served at a kids meal at a place like mcdonalds/chilis/any other chain restaurant. Unless you will never let your precious children ingest anything from those places (or anything else that you didnt personally bake with organic meat/produce), you can step off your high horse with your judgmental attitude.

This! I don't think there is a problem with what the OP gave her LO. DS probably would have had 4 of them instead of one, (although I always bake stuff) because if that's what I'm eating that's what DS is going to eat.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageKC_13:

This! I don't think there is a problem with what the OP gave her LO. DS probably would have had 4 of them instead of one, (although I always bake stuff) because if that's what I'm eating that's what DS is going to eat.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm laughing at what this post turned into. No, I don't feed my child crap. I eat fairly healthy and so does my DD. I guess the point of the post was that I was bothered by my SIL complete lack of tact and judgey comment. My FI actually called her last night and reamed him out too. We just told her that it was once, once! The rest of the time I'm a super crunchy organo-freak.  I know you ladies got my back.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm sure you feed your kid well. My concern is about posting inane shits on Facebook, lol. I judge you for not having something more interesting to post.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    yeh, and i'd call her out on it and remind her that she doesn't have kids yet. 
  • Options
    oh, and she'd be appalled because my child ate a biscuit from mcdonald's this morning for breakfast.  THE HORROR!!!!!!!!  i must be the worst mother in the world.  seriously, some people need to get a life if they're judging you on something you give your child every once in a while.  if it's only every once in a while then what's the big deal?  seriously!!  my child won't eat anything else but chicken nuggets, cottage cheese and fruit so as long as i'm feeding her, i don't really give a crap.
  • Options
    imageyourmysunshine:
    imagewife07mom09:

OK, I have an issue with both the OP AND you.

OP- Your baby needs fats. I'm sorry you had issues with your weight but it sounds like you are forcing your issues onto your kid (already!). Babies need fat for brain development. The butter in this situation isn't the issue. Particularly if you're using real butter. It's the processed food.

That being said, feeding your child a french fry or a bit of processed food every once in awhile isn't a big deal so you all need to get over it. Your ATTITUDE about food is what's going to impact your child. I rarely feed my child processed food, but it's happened. It's just not a part of our daily diet.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    "To me, you are perfect."

• Options

People need to chill out. Also, I hate it when someone who doesn't have a kid judges something I do regarding my child. All I say is just you wait until you're a parent, then I do an evil laugh.

• Options
    imagesodelish:
    imageyourmysunshine:
    imagewife07mom09:

OK, I have an issue with both the OP AND you.

OP- Your baby needs fats. I'm sorry you had issues with your weight but it sounds like you are forcing your issues onto your kid (already!). Babies need fat for brain development. The butter in this situation isn't the issue. Particularly if you're using real butter. It's the processed food.

That being said, feeding your child a french fry or a bit of processed food every once in awhile isn't a big deal so you all need to get over it. Your ATTITUDE about food is what's going to impact your child. I rarely feed my child processed food, but it's happened. It's just not a part of our daily diet.

I'm not completely anti-processed foods. Judging by the fact that my childs favorite foods are eggos and french fries lol. I just was being my silly self on FB and got judged. When I say I try to make sure that she doesn't have a weight problem pretty muchly means that I make sure she eats balanced, healthy, and not an entire thing of oreos. Like I would of done lol.  

• Options

imageKJmashup:

Yes

Facebook. Gotta love it.

• Options
    imagemonimonimoni:

imageKJmashup:

Yes

Facebook. Gotta love it.

paula deen has spoken!

• Options
    I would have posted back something entirely sarcastic and snotty, along the lines of "oh, so you mean giving her that entire cheesecake last week wasn't a good idea? I suppose that means the stick of butter she ate last night wasn't good for her either? Gosh, I guess I'll have to take a nutrition course..." but then again, I'm a brat like that. ;)
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

imagerenc9828:
    Yes that would bug me. However I have learned that when you put something on fb that you should never be surprised by what people respond.

This. You know what they say about opinions. It would bug me, but since I'd know the score, I'd get over it pretty fast. I'm like you with super-healthy foods for the most part with DS too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"