May 2012 Moms

Really???? Insurance Vent

So DH went to pickup my prenatal vitamins and the pharmacy told him those pills cost $67!!!! My insurance doesn't cover prenatal vitamins! Really???!!! So I have leftover vitamins from my last pregnancy I miscarried in May. I will continue to use those pills and refill those because they only cost $11. I just think that's ridiculous insurance should cover prenatal vitamins we shouldn't have to pay so much for prenatal vitamins and I have Oxford..

Re: Really???? Insurance Vent

• I feel ya.  I have a PPO and they only paid $48 for a $265 blood draw and $15 on a $210 ultrasound.  Insurance in this Country sucks. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My prenatals are free depending on where I fill the Rx and this is without insurance. They are called PR Natal 400 and are made my PruGen Inc. I would imagine places that dont have them for free sell them for very cheap. I had no idea I could get free ones until my OB told me.
  • Loading the player...
  • My insurance doesn't cover anything that can be bought OTC, so we'd be paying full price for prescription prenatals.  We also have pretty crappy insurance all around, so I understand the frustration!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got mine from GNC - my doctor recommended them.  $18/120 ct.
  • I picked up mine at Target for less than $15 and it will get me through nearly half of my pregnancy.
  • My Insurance so call covers prenatals and I am paying $40 a month as a copay.  My Crinone is also $40 a month as the copay.  I am dishing out $80 a month right now.   

• Since I have higher prescription co-pays with my insurance, my dr just told me to buy over the counter prenatals. I buy the target ones, that come with 2 different pills. They have everything my dr said I need to take in them, AND they are $12 instead of my $30 prescription co pay.

My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • i buy store brand prenatals, $10.   my dr said as long as it has folic acid, any brand will work.

imageimage

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagekoolgrl512:
    I got mine from GNC - my doctor recommended them.  $18/120 ct.

This is what I use.  They worked great last pregnancy as well.  Get the ones without Iron because too much Iron can cause constipation. 

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I bought the nature made brand from Costco 18. Works just fine.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • My sister just returned some to her RE .. they charged her $168 for a months worth of vitamins... she thought about it and too them back! They wanted to charge her a 25% restocking fee and they weren't opened.

Her FIL is an OBGYN so she feels comfortable taking a less expensive brand at his reccommendation.

Me: I take $11 Gummy Vitamins.. the NP said it was OK.. hope it is!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Most OBs have lots of sample prenatals that they can give you. At your next appointment, tell them how expensive they are on your insurance and ask for samples.

And you should call the OB's office and ask for a different/generic prenatal. Again, tell them how much they are on your insurance. They should be able to give you a prescription for something another vitamin.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I agree with the other suggestions of letting your OB know the cost of them on your insurance - he/she will most likely change your prescription or offer you samples....

I'm not sure where you live, but here in Michigan we have a pharmacy chain that by law offers prenatal's for free to any women who shows an over 21 ID as a part of our initiative for pro-active healthcare oppertunities.  Perhaps you have a pharmacy with a similar option?

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"